Skyrim:A Night To Remember
- Meet Sam Guevenne and accept the drinking contest.
- Help clean up the Temple of Dibella.
- Ask about Sam and the staff in Rorikstead.
- Talk to Ysolda in Whiterun about the staff.
- Head to Morvunskar.
- Search Morvunskar for Sam and the staff.
- Receive your reward from the Daedric Lord Sanguine.
Once you reach level 14, you may meet Sam Guevenne in any pub or tavern. He will challenge you to a drinking contest, offering to award you a staff if you win. Sam reaches his limit after his second drink. You can win by taking a third drink, after which a drunken Sam declares you the winner. However, before awarding the staff, Sam wants to take his new drinking buddy to "a place where the wine flows like water". At this point your mental blackout begins and the screen fades to black until the next day.
You will be woken by Senna, the priestess in the temple of Dibella in Markarth. When you ask about what happened, she states you were blathering about a wedding and a goat, or blaspheming the statuaries by fondling. You apparently made quite a mess of the temple, so she asks you to clean up the temple and make amends.
|Was a man named Sam with me?||Dibella teaches love and compassion, but that doesn't mean we're just going to tell you what you want to know and let you walk away from this. Pick up your mess, then apologize, and if we think you're sincere we'll consider lending you aid.|
|I'm sorry, I don't even remember how I got here. (Persuade)||Passed: Well, you were deep in your cups when you got here. You were ranting but most of it was slurred. You said something about Rorikstead.
Failed: Oh, I'd love to help you figure it out, but I'm so busy cleaning up the mess you made of our temple... Now if you were to help tidy up and perhaps apologize afterwards... I might be able to help you.
|Tell me how I got here and I'll pay for the damages. (Bribe)||Passed: Well, we can always use contributions. You were ranting when you got here but most of it was slurred. You did say something about Rorikstead . Maybe you should take a look there.
Failed: Oh you must be nobility of some sort. Running around partying and paying others to clean it up. I don't think so. Clean up your own mess.
If you apologize, you will learn a little bit more information about what happened. You will have to pick up several seemingly meaningless items, namely, a giant's toe, two bottles of Alto Wine, and a confusing note from Sam. According to the note, you need these items, now marked as quest items, and a Hagraven Feather to fix the staff you were promised. You can skip the cleanup through persuasion or bribe. If you avoid cleaning up, you need not worry about trying to get the items.
After you clean up the temple, the priestess tells you that when you got there you were saying something about Rorikstead.
Grok and a Goat
Head on to Rorikstead and when you arrive, look for Ennis. He will indignantly rebuke you for stealing his prized goat, named Gleda, and selling her to a giant. To get the information you need about Sam and the staff, you can pay Ennis 1000 gold for the goat, persuade him, intimidate him, or simply retrieve his goat.
|What happened with Gleda again? I'm a little fuzzy on that.||You really don't remember stealing a goat and selling her to a Giant? Are you thick? Go get her! At least she's bound to follow you back - you smell just like the fermented feed she likes.|
|Did I say anything about where I left a staff?||You mentioned something like that... when you were running off with my goat! Tell you what - you bring back my goat, and maybe I'll give a damn about your staff.|
|Help me retrace my steps and I'll pay you for the goat. (1000 gold)||Passed: Fine, but I'll still be missing my Gleda. Doubt I'll ever have a prize winning goat again. Most of what you said was gibberish but you left a note. The only bit I could read was "after repaying Ysolda in Whiterun."
Failed: There's not enough money in the world to replace Gleda.
|Tell me everything and you won't end up like your goat. (Intimidate)||Passed: Okay, okay. Most of what you said didn't make sense but you left a note. The only bit that I could read said "after repaying Ysolda in Whiterun." That's all I know.
Failed: Do what you have to do, I'm not giving up on Gleda.
|I need to find Sam and the staff, in order to get Gleda back. (Persuade)||Passed: I suppose that makes sense. You didn't mention a Sam and nothing you said about the staff made sense. You left a note but it was mostly gibberish, the only bit I could make out was "after repaying Ysolda in Whiterun."
Failed: You didn't seem to need either to sell Gleda to the Giant in the first place. I think you'll figure it out.
To get Gleda, head south to find the goat wandering around near a giant named Grok. The giant is non-hostile, but once you get the goat to follow you, Grok will decide to attack. It is possible to steal Gleda without incurring Grok's wrath if you sneak up and "talk" to Gleda and then immediately run before Grok notices you, or yield to Grok if he does attack you. Gleda will follow you no matter how fast you run. Another option is to cast Calm on Grok before engaging with Gleda. Grok will not care that you have taken Gleda for the duration of the spell. If you are skilled enough, you can kill Grok.
The Blushing Bride
Go to Whiterun and find Ysolda. She says that you bought a wedding ring on credit from her, but since there isn't going to be a wedding, she wants the ring back. Your options are much the same as earlier conversations: you can persuade or intimidate her to get the information about Sam, pay her 2000 gold for the ring, or find the ring.
|Seriously, let me pay you for the ring. (2000 gold)||Passed: Decided to go through with it then? I knew you couldn't have forgotten about your
. You spoke of her so glowingly. I don't know much about Morvunskar but it sounded like a lovely place for the ceremony. Congratulations.|
Failed: I think I would prefer my ring back. I put a lot of time into making it and you just gave away as a joke.
|I just need to get to the wedding. Please. (Persuade)||Passed: You must have had a wild night if you can't remember that. But I suppose everyone gets the jitters before their wedding. And I did say you could take a bit of time paying me back. You said the ceremony was going to be at Morvunskar. Don't forget you still owe me!
Failed: I'm sure your bride-to-be will tell you where the ceremony will be. If she still wants to marry you when you tell her you can't afford the ring.
|I don't care about the ring! Tell me what else I said! (Intimidate)||Passed: All right, all right. You're mean when you're sober. You said
the ceremony was going to be in Morvunskar. You said your friend Sam was going to be your best man.|
Failed: You think you can bully me. I grew up with five brothers. Go... get...my...ring.
|What was that story about my?||How could you forget? It was the sweetest story I'd ever heard. You met at the full moon, under the biggest tree in Witchmist Grove, surrounded by fireflies. It was straight out of a storybook.|
"Darling! I've been waiting for you to return, to consummate our love!"
Your only option is to ask for the ring back. Moira gets mad and turns hostile:
"What? You want it for that hussy Esmerelda, with the dark feathers – don't you? I won't let her have you!"
Kill her and take the wedding ring from her inventory.
Once you have the ring, return to Whiterun and give it to Ysolda to learn where you were going to have the ceremony: Morvunskar.
The "Perfect" Wedding Location
Having learned of the wedding's location, head over to Morvunskar. You will find a lot of hostile mages both outside and inside there. Fight your way into the fort. Eventually, after descending one, then ascending another stairway, a ball of blue light will appear. Enter the light and you will be transported to Misty Grove. Follow the path and you will find a party already in full swing, including your drinking buddy Sam. Sam will eventually reveal that he is actually the Daedric Prince of Debauchery, Sanguine. He will tell you that he was introducing some merriment and subversion into the world and was encouraging you to go out and "have fun". The items he had you bring to repair the staff, it turns out, are pointless, and will no longer be quest items. Sanguine will reward your efforts to track him down with the Sanguine Rose and will teleport you back to the pub where you met him.
- All of the items in Sam's note are indirectly related to the quest: giant's toes are a reference to Grok, holy water is a reference to Dibella Shrine well (seems like Alto Wine bottles filled with shrine holy water), and a Hagraven feather is a reference to Moira.
- It has been reported that starting this quest when you have the Markarth bounty glitch (with the guards entering a conversation loop and never allowing you to go to jail or pay the bounty) fixes it, allowing you to finally pay your bounty.
- Ysolda's dialogue doesn't change even if you are already married to her. Also, if you asked her to live somewhere other than in Whiterun, you'll have to travel there to speak with her.
- Senna's dialogue doesn't change even if you are already married to her. No matter where she is currently living she will still be at the temple of Dibella when you wake up.
- There are a number of ways to bypass parts of the quest. Rather than getting the information from Ennis (by passing a Speech check or by bringing Gleda back), you can go straight to Ysolda. Or she can "ambush" you in front of some store in Whiterun when you are leaving the place demanding on your debt to her.
- After the quest is completed, you may have a random encounter with an Argonian called Deep-In-His-Cups. He says that you and Sam owe him 10,000 gold for a bet because he ran into a bandit camp and almost died. If you say that you don't have 10,000 gold, he will attack you unless you pass an easy Speech check. If you pass the speech check, he will lower your debt to 750 coins. If you pay the debt (either 10,000 or 750 coins), he will go back to Black Marsh.
- If you cannot find Sam, you can use the console command
player.moveto 000A96A0to teleport directly to him.
- Sam can spawn at any of the inns across Skyrim, including those in towns, not just the ones in hold capitals.
- Based on game data, an NPC called Drunk Cultist was meant to be part of this quest, but her reference is never activated.
- If you got a follower before starting this quest he/she might be in the jail in Whiterun once you've been teleported to the temple.
- Teleporting to the temple will not count as "discovering" Markarth; if you have not been to Markarth before and fast travel away immediately upon exiting the temple, you will not be able to fast travel back. Instead, you may want to head to the city gates which will initiate discovering the city.
- If you have already cleared Morvunskar before starting the quest, enemies will respawn in its exterior, but the fort interiors will stay empty. Loot will not respawn.
- When Sanguine teleports you back to the inn after the quest, the map marker will still be pointing at Morvunskar.
- Even if you never picked up Sam’s note (for instance, by using persuasion or payment at the temple of Dibella) and thus never learned about the items supposedly necessary to repair the staff, dialogue options with Sanguine will still refer to you bringing along those items.
- In the temple of Dibella, if you open the overview map, you will find yourself located where you drank, and not in Markarth.
- In Morvunskar, you can be teleported to Misty Grove when you try to open the chest/strongbox under portal. Therefore, it's better going upstairs to open the portal only after looting them.
- The miscellaneous quest prompt to start A Night To Remember refers to Sam Guevenne as Sam Guenvere.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.3 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- It is possible that you will not blackout after the third drink. The reason for this is that one of the characters essential for the quest has died.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.5 of the Official Skyrim Patch; Senna, Ennis, and Ysolda are now marked essential and thus unkillable.
- You can use the console to advance the quest using the
setstagecommand. You will need to resurrect the dead NPCs first (all three must be alive to start the quest). To resurrect an NPC type
prid refIDinto the console, followed by
resurrect 1, and
moveto player(the refIDs are
- Sometimes the trash in the Temple of Dibella or Moira won't appear.
- If you return to Misty Grove after the quest you will be permanently stuck there.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- Reload a save from before you entered.
- Sometimes Sanguine might not appear at all.
- If you persuade or bribe the priestess, then pick up all the trash anyway, the objective to apologize to her will appear, and she will become a quest target, but you can't apologize.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- You can skip/fix this by leaving the temple, going to Whiterun and talking to Ysolda about the ring.
- You also can apologize after you kill Moira and loot her corpse.
- It is possible that when talking to Senna that the dialogue may crash thus not allowing to ask about Sam and preventing any further progress in the quest.
- This bug can be worked around by talking to Ennis in Rorikstead.
- In PS4, saving immediately upon arrival to the temple and then loading the save, also fixes the problem, allowing you to talk to Senna.
- After completion of this quest, you may find Sanguine roaming around the fort Morvunskar, killing every mage he can find. Since he is essential, he will always win.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
|Participate in a drinking contest with(DA14Start)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 20: Participate in a drinking contest with
|A Night To Remember (DA14)|
|5||I have awoken in the Temple Of Dibella in Markarth. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared.|
|10||I have awoken in the Temple Of Dibella in Markarth. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. I have no idea how I got here but a priestess has told me I trashed the Temple. The priestess might tell me what happened to Sam and the staff if I pick up the place.
Objective 10: Find Sam Guevenne
Objective 12: Find the Staff
Objective 20: Help clean up the Temple of Dibella
|30||I have awoken in the Temple Of Dibella in Markarth. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. I have no idea how I got here but a priestess has told me I trashed the Temple. I have cleaned up the Temple, if I apologize to the priestess she might tell me what happened to Sam and the staff.
Objective 30: Apologize to the priestesses of Dibella
|40||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. The priestesses of Dibella have told me to ask about Sam in Rorikstead.
Objective 40: Ask about Sam and the staff in Rorikstead
|50||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. Ennis in Rorikstead will tell me more about what happened once I return the goat I stole from him.
Objective 50: Find Gleda the Goat
|75||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. Ennis in Rorikstead will tell me more about what happened once I return the goat I stole from him.
Objective 75: Bring Gleda the Goat back to Ennis in Rorikstead
|85||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. A note of debt I gave to Ennis in Rorikstead has directed me to Ysolda in Whiterun, she might be able to direct me to Sam.
Objective 85: Talk to Ysolda in Whiterun about the staff
|100||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. Ysolda in Whiterun will give me more information about
once I return the ring I borrowed from her to give to someone in Witchmist Grove.
Objective 100: Find the wedding ring in Witchmist Grove
|115||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. Ysolda in Whiterun will give me more information about
once I return the ring I borrowed from her to give to a hagraven Witchmist Grove.
Objective 115: Take the wedding ring
Objective 125: Return the wedding ring to Ysolda in Whiterun
|135||I have awoken from a night of debauchery with no idea what happened. Sam and the staff he promised me have disappeared. Ysolda in Whiterun has told me to look for Sam in Morvunskar.
Objective 135: Head to Morvunskar
Objective 150: Search Morvunskar for Sam and the Staff
|200||"Sam" turned out to be the daedric prince of debauchery, Sanguine. He spurred me on during a drunken night of revelry that crossed all of Skyrim. I've acquired the Sanguine Rose for my troubles.|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table:
- DA14Start: 10, 30, 40, 50, 60.
- DA14: 0, 84, 110, 130, 165, 175, 185.