|High King Vrage|
King Vrage (also called Vrage the Gifted or Vrage the Butcher) was the High King of Skyrim, son of King Harald and the fifteenth monarch descended from Ysgramor. He is widely known for founding and expanding the First Empire of the Nords across the northern reaches of Tamriel, growing his domain to encompass parts of High Rock, Morrowind, and the Nibenay Valley. Along with his father Harald, King Vrage can be credited with leading man's rise to dominance over mer in what would become the provinces of Cyrodiil and High Rock.
Vrage was born in the early First Era as the youngest son of High King Harald. He was the brother of Hjalmer and half-brother of Olmgerd. He ascended to the throne in Windhelm in 1E 222, after his predecessor Hjalmer had passed away following a year of rule. Vrage spent his reign expanding the Nordic Empire into other territories. His first priority was to expand into High Rock, to expel Aldmeri influence over the proto-Bretons. While his initial advancement took him as far west as the Bjoulsae River, his influence did not last due to the cunning nature of the elves.
Regardless, by 1E 240, High King Vrage's Empire had expanded to include all of High Rock and Morrowind (aside from the Dwemer kingdom of Vvardenfell), and had established a loose alliance with the Nedic rebels led by Alessia to the south. He was known to survey his newly-conquered territory and announce his arrival with a bronze war horn. The Ayleids that fled to Skyrim after their empire's downfall were slaughtered by Vrage's militia by his order. His campaign's success has sometimes been credited to Sai, the God of Luck, whose many years living among the Nords had blessed them with luck, leaving the elves completely in the dust. According to legend, Sai settled with a family in Skyrim, and his time spent in this land bestowed excessive luck to the people of Skyrim. The gods told him he must leave the area and distribute his luck around Tamriel. It took Sai roughly a hundred and fifty years to make things right and reset Vrage's influence, which gave the conquered provinces the leverage to reclaim their lands.
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Skyrim — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Ayleid Survivals in Valenwood — Cuinur of Cloudrest, 4th Tier Scholar of Tamrielic Minutiae
- King Edward, Part X
- The Daggerfall Chronicles — Ronald Wartow
- Frontier, Conquest — University of Gwylim Press, 3E 344
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: High Rock — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Seat of Sundered Kings: Cyrodiil — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- Bronzed War Horn antiquity codex entries in ESO: Greymoor