|Appears in||Arena, Daggerfall|
Anticlere, formerly known as Reich Gradkeep, was a Third Era fiefdom on the southern coast of High Rock in the Iliac Bay region. It was bordered by Shalgora to the west, Daenia and Urvaius to the north, and Dwynnen to the northeast. The provincial seat was the city of Anticlere.
The region had a long history of conflict, its inhabitants having fought on both sides of the great wars of the continent. In memory of one of these, the Battle of Duncreigh Bridge against the neighboring hamlet of Sensford in 1E 1427, the citizens of Anticlere noisily marched down Sensford's main street, a progress that results in numerous injuries on both sides.
During the Imperial Simualcrum in the late Third Era, the village of Reich Gradkeep is an active settlement, being ruled by Lady Chrystorya. It had a rivalry with Glenpoint. It was neighbored by several settlements, including Daggerfall in the west, and Glenpoint in the northeast.
Prior to the War of Betony in 3E 403, Anticlere was known as Reich Gradkeep. It was originally a neutral party in the war between Daggerfall and Sentinel over the Island of Betony. Reich Gradkeep's ruler, Lord Graddock, tried to negotiate a peace treaty to end the war. The Treaty of Reich Gradkeep was drafted and nearly signed, but at the last minute King Camaron of Sentinel rejected the treaty, feeling he had been betrayed. Enraged, Camaron turned against Reich Gradkeep. In the ensuing bloodbath, Lord Graddock and his entire family were killed, except for one sickly infant. One week later, Daggerfall won the Battle of Cryngaine Field, ending the War of Betony.
The councilors invited Graddock's cousin, Lord Auberon Flyte, to rule Reich Gradkeep as regent. Flyte and his wife, Doryanna, were strong, nearly dictatorial, rulers who restored much-needed order to the province. When the infant heir died, Flyte was elevated from regent to ruler and Reich Gradkeep was renamed Anticlere, after Flyte's ancestral home.
- During the Camoran Usurper's Invasion, the lord of Reich Gradkeep was deathly ill (and eventually died in 3E 266). This contributed to a general lack of leadership in High Rock, and was one factor in the Usurper's easy conquest of High Rock prior to the decisive Battle of Firewaves, where the Usurper was finally defeated.
- For game-specific information, see the Daggerfall articles on Anticlere and the city of Anticlere.
- The city was planned to appear in the cancelled Oblivion game for PSP.
- Newgate's War Of Betony — Vulper Newgate
- The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- Events of Daggerfall
- Father Of The Niben — Florin Jaliil
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Elsweyr Confederacy — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Reich Gradkeep location and rumors in Arena
- Map of High Rock — The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- Fav'te's War Of Betony — Fav'te
- The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero