|Location||Steamscorch Mine Camp|
|Primary Skills||Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing, Archery, One-handed, Two-handed|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionEastmarch; Favor205QuestGiverFaction; PotentialFollowerFaction; PotentialMarriageFaction; TownKynesgroveFaction|
Roggi Knot-Beard is a Nord miner living in Kynesgrove. He mines at the village Steamscorch Mine. He can be found inside Braidwood Inn or in the mining camp outside the inn. He's an expert on mead after a lifetime of study, stating that the best mead in Skyrim can be found in Riften, which he visited as a child. He drinks more than his fair share. He owes a large tab for mead he's purchased to drink, to Iddra, who runs the inn. He's too proud to take a handout to pay his debt. He's also known to be a good story-teller. Upon raising his disposition, he will become a potential candidate for marriage. After finding his ancestor's shield, Roggi becomes available as a follower. He's a friendly sort and will joyfully greet you regardless of race.
Roggi Knot-Beard wears a set of farm clothes along with some gloves and boots. He carries three bottles of Nord mead along with a flagon and a selection of common loot and gold. He also wields a steel dagger. Roggi is friends with Dravynea the Stoneweaver, Ganna Uriel, and Kjeld. He is an acquaintance of Iddra.
- The Bonds of Matrimony: Find someone in Skyrim to marry.
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)
- A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)
- Rebuilding the Blades: Recruit new members for the Blades.
He will greet you in one of several ways. He seems the cheerful sort.
- "If you bring mead, you're welcome here! Even if you don't, you're still welcome!"
- "I visited the meaderies of Riften once, as a lad. Wish I had their skill."
- "You've got a fine look about you. Come have a visit at the Braidwood Inn. Better than home!"
You can ask him a few questions about himself, including why he knows so much about mead.
- How do you know so much about mead?
- "A lifetime of study, you might say. The best comes from Riften, but I haven't been there in years. Ever tried making your own? It's... not easy. Trust me."
- "All this talk of dragons is making people antsy. Nonsense!"
Roggi will occasionally mention Dravynea, claiming that she keeps the mine running.
- "Working our mine is dangerous work, but Dravynea keeps it going. Well, Dravynea and the promise of more mead."
While at work, he may chat with his fellow worker Kjeld:
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "You going to be at the inn tonight?"
- Kjeld: "Not sure. Feeling like taking another trip."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "What's your wife think of your trips?"
- Kjeld: "They're none of her business, and none of yours either."
- Kjeld: "Sweltering in here."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I'd like the fresh air better, but this isn't so bad."
- Kjeld: "How do you stay cheery down in these blazes?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I don't know. Maybe because it makes the mead taste that much better at night."
- Kjeld: "Again with the mead!"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Found another one of those vents in back near the scaffold."
- Kjeld: "Does Dravynea know?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "She hasn't had a chance to look at it yet. Just be careful over there."
- Kjeld: "Always."
Kjeld can be found having more conversations with Roggi Knot-Beard over a drink at the inn. Roggi is mindful of Iddra's feelings, but Kjeld is more abrasive.
- Kjeld: "So, Roggi, when are you going to get yourself a woman?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Oh, I'm not sure I could ever settle down like you have, friend."
- Kjeld: "Who says I've settled down?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I think this is yet another conversation that wouldn't make your wife happy."
- Kjeld: "That's just it... if she's not happy, there are plenty of other women who will be."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Oh, you old charmer."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I'm not sure that's a good joke to tell with women present..."
- Kjeld: "But don't you get it? She thought he was a troll!"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I get it. It's funny. It just might upset your wife."
- Kjeld: "Eh, let her get upset. She'll be angry no matter what I say, might as well enjoy myself."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "How much do you know about the brewing of mead?"
- Kjeld: "I know all there is to know about the drinking of it, and that suits me just fine."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "I've been trying to figure out what makes Riften mead better than the stuff from Whiterun."
- Kjeld: "Better honey?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "There has to be more to it than that, though. I wish I knew where the bees got it from."
Roggi can be seen conversing with Dravynea.
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Kjeld bothering you again?"
- Dravynea the Stoneweaver: "Nothing I can't handle."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Well, you send that blowhard to me if he steps over the line."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "How's the mine today?"
- Dravynea the Stoneweaver: "Not too bad. Careful around the more obvious scorchers."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "As usual. I've always got an eye on the rocks."
Sometimes Iddra may talk with Roggi:
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "How are the little ones?"
- Iddra: "Oh, you know. Little Kjeld is a handful, and Froa is just so quiet."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "He takes after his father, and she takes after you."
- Iddra: "Well, that's the good and the bad of it."
- Iddra: "If you like mead so much, why not go live in Riften?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Oh, I wouldn't be able to help them. Their skills were given by the Divines."
- Iddra: "Maybe you could be a taster or something."
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Ah, but I can do that right here. Right now!"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Have you heard about Goldenglow Meadery?"
- Iddra: "Did something happen to it?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "All the apiaries... it will take years to get those bees happy again."
- Iddra: "Do the bees need to be happy?"
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Of course! You can't make good mead without happy honey!"
You can ask him if he's from Kynesgrove, which starts you off on a chain of dialogue to start the quest.
- Are you from Kynesgrove?
- "Yes. I've wandered a bit, but I always come back to Kynesgrove. My clan was one of the first to settle here. Legend says that my forefather Lenne discovered the mines after he stumbled into a dark cave to relieve himself. Too much mead. Of course, there's another story of Lenne losing the family shield in a different cave, so it depends on who you believe."
- That's a terrible story.
- "Well, I never claimed otherwise."
- Your ancestral shield is lost in a cave?
- "According to my grandfather at least. He swore that version of the legend was true, even found the cave old Lenne stumbled into. Hey, if you find it, I could show you some of the clan's favorite fighting moves. They're all shield techniques."
If you ask him if his ancestral shield is lost in a cave, he'll reiterate it and mark the cave on your map. After you exit the conversation, he may say:
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "Hopefully, that story about Lenne's Shield is true."
When you find the shield, you should return to Roggi and give him the shield.
- I found your shield.
- "My clan's shield. So Lenne really did stumble into that cave and was eaten by monsters. In honor of his memory, let me show you a few shield techniques. And tell me if you're leaving town. Be good to travel again."
A Few Words with You
During the quest, Iddra will ask you to tell Roggi that she doesn't care about his tab. She says he owes her a lot of money for drinks, and she always tells him not to worry about it, but he beats himself up over it anyways. Then he gets thirsty, and the cycle repeats. Talk to Roggi.
- Iddra wants you to forget about all that coin you owe.
- "I guess if you're telling me to stop worrying about it, maybe I should just let it go. Thank you, friend."
- "What do you think I am, a beggar? My family has always paid back every single coin we owed, going back to Tiber Septim's time."
|Stop being stubborn. Let it go.
|Passed: "I guess you're right. A Nord shouldn't be so proud to turn down a kind soul's generosity. Tell Iddra I'll be fine."
Failed: "No. I have my pride."
|What if I pay it?
|Passed: "A true Nord would settle it himself, but at least this way Iddra gets her coin. Thank you. Tell her I'll be fine."
Failed: "This isn't about me paying Iddra back, this is about me being able to pay her back with my own coin."
|Do I need to beat some sense into you?
|Passed: "What? No. All right. I won't worry about the coin anymore, just stop giving me that look."
|Forget I asked.||"It's better that way."|
While he's on the ground after losing the fight, he'll comment:
- Roggi Knot-Beard: "You throw a mean hook."
You need to speak to him after winning.
- You ready to listen to reason now?
- "I get your point. Tell Iddra I'm sorry for being so stubborn about the coin."
- Roggi is tied with Sven for the lowest level cap among all permanent, non-creature followers.