|# of Zones||2|
|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
|Vampires, Frostbite Spiders|
|The Locked Room|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Southwest of Kynesgrove
East of Mixwater Mill
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Arcane Enchanters||1|
|# of Iron||1|
|# of Moonstone||1|
Cronvangr Cave is a medium-sized cave southwest of Kynesgrove, inhabited by frostbite spiders and vampires. It has two zones: Cronvangr Cave and Cronvangr Broodlair. It is located in the northwestern part of the sulfur pools characteristic of central Eastmarch, almost due east of Mixwater Mill.
- Animal Extermination: Fulfill a contract given to the Companions to clear out a beast den. (radiant)
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)
- A New OrderDG: Recruit Isran's old allies for the Dawnguard. (radiant)
- Caught in a WebCC: Search for legendary artifacts in a spider den.
- Pets of SkyrimCC: Find trained pets around Skyrim.
- This location is one of many potential targets for one or more of the Radiant quests.
The exterior hints at what can be found inside: it is covered in webs, and one egg sac is in front of the entrance. A dead mammoth is to the left. There are also several plants that can be harvested for ingredients in the surrounding area.
The first room contains six frostbite spiders, an egg sac, and an iron ore vein. A small button on the northwest wall will open a rock door to a cavern, which contains a wooden building and several vampires on a raised area at the back of the cavern. Beware a flame spout trap in the passage on the way to the vampires. The vampires are generally all found sleeping in the building; however, some of them may be awake, so be careful if you don't see them. On the lower level, there's a circle of candles around a dead body and two long tables with benches, one of which holds a single loose coin. Two ramps up to the raised area and building are against the cave wall.
The inside of the building is a mess, strewn with viscera and gore. There are three single beds (normally all occupied by three sleeping vampires), a central table with a random filled soul gem and a copy of the Lockpicking skill book The Locked Room on top, a second table with an iron war axe and a strong box on top, several chairs, barrels, and sacks, and an unlocked chest with a random poison next to it at the foot of one of the beds. There are several corpses nearby and in the cavern itself, which the vampires may raise to help them fight. Six poisons and a medium coin purse are on two sets of shelves, among ruined books and other clutter. One more random potion can be found next to the barrels to the left of the shelves, on one of which is an apothecary's satchel. A second chest, this one adept-locked, can be found behind the building near an alchemy lab and arcane enchanter. A sapphire can be found on top of a barrel next to the second chest. There is also a long wooden table and bench behind the building with two loose coins on it.
The rest of the zone can be reached from another tunnel in the first room. It consists of a sparsely lit cobwebbed pathway winding down into a cavern with a pool of water at the bottom, with two egg sacs and a mammoth tusk along the path. There are several small frostbite spiders along the path, and it is possible for one or more of the spiders to fall off the ledges and into the water below. The spiders will often become trapped in the water, as the pathway out is fairly narrow and the spiders don't navigate it properly. This makes killing any spiders that fall much more difficult without the use of archery or long-range spells. An unlocked chest and a floating skeleton can be found in the water. A small pathway to the east leads to the second zone, Cronvangr Broodlair.
The zone begins on a twisting path with several webs you need to break through and several small frostbite spiders along it. A small chest can be found in front of you where the tunnel turns to the right; it is hidden by two layers of spider webbing behind an unlootable desiccated corpse, and can be easily overlooked. The path continues to the broodlair proper, where a giant frostbite spider will drop from the ceiling to join many other, smaller spiders. A boss-level chest can be found in the back of this room, with a large egg sac to the right and a moonstone ore vein to the left.
There's a shortcut back to the first zone up the slope to the north, with an egg sac on your left shortly before you re-enter the first zone. The shortcut will place you on a ledge above the passageway just before the first room of Cronvangr Cave.
- The general area is referred to as "Cronvangr Hall".
- A pair of leveled necromancers have taken to practicing their craft on a large stone altar due east of the entrance to Cronvangr Cave, and will attempt to use you for their next ritual. On the altar is a leveled poison, a potion, and a leveled soul gem. Scattered about the pools of hot water that surround the altar can be found a pair of burial urns, the partial skeleton of a novice conjurer, and a few lootable draugr corpses.
- A chest can be found in the hot water east of the entrance to Cronvangr Cave, in the same general area as the altar above.
- Two ore veins are outside: