|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Home Town||Urshilaku Camp|
Sul-Matuul is the current Ashkhan of the Urshilaku Ashlander tribe, and also the spiritual guardian of the Nerevarine Cult (along with his Wise-Woman, Nibani Maesa), as the Urshilaku have been for generations. He is essential to the Main Quest, as the only Ashkhan still loyal to the Nerevarine cult.
A proud and haughty warrior, his manner can seem aloof and unfriendly to those who have only newly met him: indeed, he is unlikely to even give so much as the time of day to anyone who has not first shown proper courtesy to other members of his tribe, from the lowest all the way up to Gulakhan Zabamund. However, once one gets past this initial reserve, he is a true friend: the only Ashlander Ashkhan willing to accept outsiders as Clanfriend and later Hearthfriend, offering the full range of Urshilaku hospitality, and open-minded enough to be willing to accept an outlander - even a non-Dunmer - as Nerevarine, after the Lost Prophecies have been discovered.
- Meet Sul-Matuul: Travel to the northern coast to find out more about the Nerevarine Prophecies and how it relates to you.
- The Path of the Incarnate: Visit the Urshilaku Camp and complete the Third Trial of the prophecy.
- Urshilaku Nerevarine: Talk to Sul-Matuul to be named Urshilaku Nerevarine.
- "How did you get in here? Leave at once, or I will kill you myself."
- [Disposition -20.] "Save your breath. You do not have many more left to spend."
- "So. My champion Zabamund has sent you to talk with me about the Nerevarine prophecies. Then go ahead, %PCName. Talk. I am very curious."
- "Yes, %PCName. You wish to talk with me about the Nerevarine prophecies. Go ahead. I am very curious."
- "So, outlander. Have you completed the initiation rite?"
- "Nibani Maesa will speak with you further concerning the Nerevarine prophecies."
- "You wish to know about the Third Trial, and I shall tell you."
- "If you have brought me the three tokens of the Warrior's test, I can speak to you further of the Third Trial."
- "Seek the Cavern of the Incarnate. This is Wisdom's Test. When you have the moon and star, bring it to Nibani Maesa. Take with you my blessing, and the blessing of our tribe."
- initiation rite:
- "To be adopted into the tribe, you must undergo a harrowing. In a harrowing, you will be judged by the spirits and ancestors to see if you are worthy. Go to the Urshilaku Burial Caverns and fetch me Sul-Senipul's Bonebiter Bow. Sul-Senipul was my father, and his spirit guards his bonemold long bow deep in the burial caverns. Return to me with this bow, and I will adopt you into the Ashlander tribes as a Clanfriend."
- "Until you bring me the Bonebiter Bow, you may not go before Nibani Maesa to be tested for the Nerevarine prophecies."
- "This is my father's Bonebiter Bow. You have completed the initiation rite. I name you %PCName, Clanfriend of the Ashlanders. Keep my father's bow, and bear it with honor. You are a friend of our tribe, and may rest in any Urshilaku bed, but do not harm other tribe members, or take their things. And now I will fulfill my other promise. Go to the wise woman's yurt, and Nibani Maesa shall examine you, and test you against the Nerevarine prophecies."
- "You have already completed the initiation rite."
- Kogoruhn: "Kogoruhn was an ancient Dunmer stronghold. Here. Let me mark it on your map. Go by day, in good weather, or you may miss your way. Follow the coast east from Urshilaku camp to the ruined Dunmer stronghold called Valenvaryon, then turn southwest. You'll see Ebernanit, a ruined Daedric shrine. Continue south from Ebernanit to Kogoruhn, a great table of stone with many ruined buildings. There are many rooms. The passages are old and deep. Beneath are caves with pools of fire. It is a bad place. Go prepared."
- Nerevarine prophecies:
- "You think you fulfill the Nerevarine prophecies. You wish to be tested to see if you are the Nerevarine. No outlander may join the Nerevarine cult. If you were a Clanfriend, an adopted member of the Ashlander tribes, then perhaps. I have an initiation rite in mind. If you pass this rite, I will adopt you as a Clanfriend of the Ashlanders. And then I will submit you to Nibani Maesa, our wise woman, who is skilled in oracles and mysteries, and who will test you against the prophecies."
- "Now that you are a Clanfriend, I want to speak plainly. I find it hard to believe that you are the Nerevarine. You are an outlander, but the Nerevarine comes to drive all outlanders from Morrowind. How could an outlander be the Incarnate? The Great Houses stole our lands and mocked us with false gods. The godless outlanders steal our land and our dignity. The Nerevarine is the last hope the Ashlanders have. I will let no outlander steal this hope from us.
- These are serious words, %PCName, words of life and death. I see honor and merit in you, and am proud to name you Clanfriend. But take care what you say and do in the name of the Nerevarine. Now go question Nibani Maesa, and learn all she can tell you."
- "Prophecies are but words. I would judge you by your deeds -- the deeds of a warrior."
- Third trial:
- "You have entered the path of the Nerevarine. This is a hard thing to believe. But Nibani Maesa has spoken to me at length of this, and I have had time to consider. Therefore I shall keep my own counsel, and set before you my own test. I do not dispute with the wise women, but their ways are not the ways of the warrior. Many before have tried the path of the Nerevarine, but all have failed the warrior's test. You must have strength, courage, and cunning. These things I would test.
- Nearby lies Kogoruhn, the ancient halls of the forgotten house, House Dagoth. In recent time, creatures of the blight have come to dwell there. I myself went there, with some brave hunters, and came back again, but it was a bad place, and I am not ashamed to say I was afraid, for myself and my men. If you would have from me the secret of the Third Trial, the 'caverns dark' where Azura's eye sees, you will first bring to me three tokens from dark Kogoruhn.
- The first token is corprus weepings from a corprus beast, to show that you are proof against the disease's corruption. The second token is a cup with the mark of House Dagoth, for I have myself seen such cups there, and will know you have seen with your eyes what I have seen with mine. The third token is the Shadow Shield, which lies on the Tomb of Dagoth Morin, in the lava tunnels deep beneath ruined Kogoruhn. Bring these things to me, and then I will tell you the secret of the Third Test."
- "When you bring me the three tokens from the ruins of Kogoruhn, I shall tell you the secret of the Third Trial."
- "I am impressed. These three tokens you have brought me. You may keep them. You have passed the Warrior's Test. And I will give you the secret of the Third Trial. 'In caverns dark Azura's eye sees/and makes to shine the moon and star.' This is the Third Vision. And you must go to the Cavern of the Incarnate, a place sacred to Azura, and look for the moon and star. The secret of the Cavern of the Incarnate is set in a riddle:
- the eye of the needle lies in the teeth of the wind
the mouth of the cave lies in the skin of the pearl
the dream is the door and the star is the key
- the eye of the needle lies in the teeth of the wind
- [Malipu-Ataman's Belt has been added to your inventory.] This riddle is Wisdom's Test. Take counsel of the wisdom of the tribes, and you shall find the way. Seek the Cavern of the Incarnate. Gain the moon and star, and bring it to Nibani Maesa. Take with you my blessing, and the blessing of our tribe, Malipu-Ataman's Belt."
- "Seek the Third Trial in the Cavern of the Incarnate. You have my blessing, and the blessing of the tribe."
- Urshilaku: "The Urshilaku are the Ashlanders of the northern Ashlands and the West Gash. I am the chief of the Urshilaku, and Nibani Maesa is our wise woman, a deep and shrewd counselor, and seer of the Nerevarine cult."
- Urshilaku burial caverns:
- "The burial caverns lie to the south-southeast of the camp, a north-facing door in a little hill halfway between us and the slopes of Red Mountain. Go north from the camp to the water, then turn east. At a rock cairn on the beach, turn and head straight south until you find the door. The spirits of our ancestors guard the caverns. They will attack, and will kill you if they can. Force your way past them, or evade them, get the bow, and return to prove your worthiness."
- "You have already proven your worthiness."
- House Hlaalu: "The khans of the Great Houses are called 'councilors.' The khans of House Hlaalu meet in a place on a river far away. They call the place 'Balmora' -- 'stonewood' in our speech. You must find these councilors and persuade them to name you Hortator. I can tell you nothing about these people. You must go there and learn for yourself."
- House Redoran: "The khans of the Great Houses are called 'councilors.' The khans of House Redoran meet in a great crab shell in a place called Ald'ruhn. You must find these councilors and persuade them to name you Hortator. I know little of the settled people. You must go there and learn for yourself."
- House Telvanni: "The khans of the Great Houses are called 'councilors.' The khans of House Telvanni meet in a very strange place, I'm told. They call it 'Sadrith Mora', which means 'forest of the mushrooms' in our tongue. I have heard the Telvanni live in giant mushrooms. I'm sure it is a very bad place. But you must go and find their councilors and persuade them to name you Hortator."