According to tapestries in the Crystal Tower, the early Aldmeri settlers of the Summerset Isles encountered welwa, depicted as strange, holy ravagers, and saviors of the land. Led by Torinaan, the Aldmer of Auridon drove them back using ancestral magics, and eventually the welwa of Summerset were driven to extinction. In Yokuda they were considered myths, and described in their ancient texts as having "the jaws of a bear, and the charging strength of a boar".
Welwa continued to inhabit the wilds of Craglorn on mainland Tamriel. They are often domesticated and armored by the Iron Orcs of the region, who use them as war beasts. History indicates that every pastoral society in Craglorn's long history: Nedes, Yokudans, Goblins, and Orcs has domesticated them at some point.
In the Second Era, the Sapiarchs of the Crystal Tower reintroduced welwa to Summerset Isle by bringing in mated pairs from Craglorn. These welwa quickly spread across the wilderness of Summerset, although many inhabitants of the Isle were displeased with their reintroduction.
Welwa can be transformed into reptilian forms through Naga Argonian rituals or exposure to their special Hist sap. The green-skinned Nagahide Welwa is thought to have been created by the blue Hist of Dead-Water Village. They were utilized by cultists of the Order of the Waking Flame. The Sul-Xan Fleshripper is a fiery breed imbued by Mehrunes Dagon's chaos through Sul-Xan ritual. Other reptilian breeds include the Duskfall Welwa, Speckled Welwa, and the Azuredoom Wrathsteed.
Welwas of the Iron Orcs
- The welwa can trace its origins back to Loranna's RP and user Allerleirauh, being introduced in the Twisted Tower campaign as a nod to real world Romanian folklore.[UOL 1] Welwas were later canonized in the Summerset section of A Pocket Guide to the Empire: Third Edition.
- For game-specific information on Welwas, see the ESO article.
- Welwa mounts in ESO
- Pocket Guide to the Empire
- The Lay of Firsthold
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: The Summerset Isles: Auridon — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Restoring the Welwas — Ambolisse, Sapiarch of Zoological Studies
- Abnab Correspondence's in ESO
- Longhair Welwa's description in ESO
- Nagahide Welwa Ravager in ESO
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Gates of Oblivion - Official Cinematic Announcement Trailer
- Sul-Xan Fleshripper in ESO
- Voidmother's Welwa in ESO
Note: The following references are considered to be unofficial sources. They are included to round off this article and may not be authoritative or conclusive.
- Allerleirauh's posts in Twisted Tower