Skyrim:The Ebony Warrior
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
Upon your reaching level 80, a mysterious warrior wearing a full suit of ebony armor will approach you in any major city and challenge you to a duel at his Last Vigil. After the conversation, the quest will then update to give the location, a camp northeast of Fort Greenwall. The Ebony Warrior will not attack you when approached, and will not speak. He will simply stand, brandishing his sword as a clear invitation. You must initiate the attack for the battle to begin. Make sure that you are prepared for one serious fight. It is advised to wear the strongest armor you can get and have plenty of potions at the ready. You may want to bring a follower as well.
The Ebony Warrior is arguably the toughest enemy in the game, and his high armor rating and multiple elemental resistances make him hard to kill for both mages and melee characters. He also has a number of perks to aid him in combat, including the top perks in the One-Handed, Archery, and Heavy Armor skills. He is the only non-Nord NPC capable of using certain dragon shouts in combat. These shouts include Unrelenting Force, which may easily knock you off the edge of the nearby cliffs. The Ebony Warrior can also be harmed by falling damage, but you must damage him after he lands but before he stands back up for the damage to take effect, otherwise he can survive any fall and will actually be restored to full health after he gets back on his feet.
Whatever your tactics, once you have defeated the Ebony Warrior the quest will conclude and you may loot his body for his fully enchanted set of equipment and a few other treasures.
- The Ebony Warrior will only appear once you have reached level 80.
- Since the Ebony Warrior does not attack until he is attacked, if you have the Assassin's Blade perk, you can sneak behind him and easily kill him with a strong dagger.
- The Ebony Warrior is also not immune to poison (merely 50% resistant, like any other Redguard). You can use a strong poison (for example, one derived from jarrin root) to slay him quickly.
- The Marked for Death shout can be very useful for making the fight easier.
- When the Ebony Warrior is killed, the game stats might count the death as a murder.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.4 of the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.
- There is a rare occasion where the ebony warrior will be hostile on sight to the dragonborn when he initially spawns. This can be fixed by being sent to jail through submitting to the guard in the hold that he spawned in.
- If you use the soul tear shout to kill the ebony warrior and loot his body before he rises you can attack him again and he will gain a new set of ebony armor.
- If you run up the hill past the dead Frost Troll, the Ebony Warrior can get stuck behind one of the low rocks as he pursues you.
|The Ebony Warrior (DLC2EbonyWarriorQuest)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||A warrior in Ebony tried to talk to me on the streets of <alias=StartCity>.
Objective 10: Talk to the Ebony Warrior
|100||A warrior in ebony mail approached me in <alias=StartCity>. He has challenged me to fight him at his last vigil, wherever that is.
Objective 100: Meet the Ebony Warrior at the Last Vigil
|200||I have defeated the Ebony Warrior. May his soul find rest in Sovngarde.|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 5.