Skyrim: Ironbind Barrow
|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Draugr, Frostbite Spiders, Skeevers, Skeletons, Warlord Gathrik|
|Steel Battleaxe of Fiery Souls|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Word Wall||Become Ethereal|
|# of Moonstone||1|
|# of Silver||1|
Ironbind Barrow is a Nordic ruin which contains a word wall for the Become Ethereal shout, and the tomb of a long dead warlord. The barrow contains one interior zone, Ironbind Barrow, and two exterior zones, Salma and Beem-ja's camp, and Ironbind Overlook.
The path to the barrow is a short distance along the path east from Nightgate Inn. Just before the left-hand path to Wayward Pass is a dirt path that cuts back to the northwest. There are two stone pillars, one having fallen over, and leaning against the other. There are two snowberry plants along the path, and a corundum ore vein, to the left along the rock face from the last stone pillar.
When you pass under the arch, turn right, head up the stairs, turn around, and head over the arch; there is a random potion, and a chest lying in wait. Now head over to the camp, where the adventurers Salma and Beem-Ja wait. They are wary of their own limited combat skills and are deliberating over whether to tempt fate anyway. Once you arrive, they become more willing to enter the barrow.
Salma: "How can you just sit here and wait? We should be in there!"
Beem-Ja: "We must gather our strength. Who knows what's inside?"
Salma: "Treasure, that's what! Get off your scaly rump and let's go."
Beem-Ja: "Hush, Salma. We aren't alone."
You cannot enter the barrow without them; if you enter without agreeing to accompany them, they will join you regardless. Salma's plan is simple, "Let's clear the place out first. Then we'll gather our loot." This means that they charge headlong into the barrow, not waiting for you. They cannot be killed by the enemies in the barrow, but they do ensure that this is one place where it is pointless to try and sneak up on enemies. They do not rush too far ahead of you, but instead wait after sections for you to catch up, before heading off once again.
The tunnel you enter into is frozen. There are two frostbite spiders around the corner, but they won't detect you until you move forward. There is also a silver ore vein around the corner, by the far wall. Down the tunnel are another two frostbite spiders. There are eleven spider eggs lying in this chamber, and a web sac hanging from the wall to the right. The next chamber holds a giant frostbite spider; it is on a ledge at the back of the chamber, but quickly makes its way down to attack you. There is nothing else to loot here.
The path continues northwest, and opens up to reveal a hidden Nordic ruin, named Gathrik's tomb. Climb the rubble to the left as you emerge, and you will find a moonstone ore vein. Ascend the stairs and enter the well-lit area, where there is a gate blocking your path. To the right is a chest in an alcove, and in an alcove to the left there is a handle, which, when pulled, raises the gate.
There are two draugr in the next room, both inside sarcophagi. If you enter the room just enough for your fellow adventurers to move, they will continue onward, not alerting the draugr. Once you have reached the gating in the middle of the room, the draugr will emerge and start looking for you. Facing west when on the grate there is an unlocked chest under the bottom of the wall. To the left of the grate is a leveled potion of defense. On the table opposite the entrance, there is a hide shield, a scaled helmet, a leveled strength potion, a potion of minor healing, and some wine.
The path forward is in the northeast corner and immediately turns west, passing a sideboard on your right holding a goat hide. The corridor descends a flight of stairs before opening out into a wider corridor heading north. There is a skeever in front of a closed metal gate. There is an alcove in front of you containing an unlocked chest with a pressure plate in front of the chest, which activates a spear trap from the left-hand wall. Beside the chest is a random helmet. Beyond the gate the path descends another flight of stairs where two more skeevers will be alerted to your presence before the path opens into a room with two draugr, one leveled draugr on the same level who will come charging at you, and another on the lower level, who is an archer. Across the bridge are shelves holding a potion of minor healing. The shelves to the right hold a piece of leather, leather strips, and a random leveled potion. There is another piece of leather, a garnet, a random filled soul gem, and a random shield, between the two sets of shelves. To the right is an adept-locked chest.
Follow the path through the gate below until you reach a room with a large fire. There are two draugr here. In the rubble on the other side of the room there is a potion of minor healing, and a potion of health. To the left of the double doors, themselves situated to the east of the fire, is a set of shelves, which contain a potion of healing, and a random potion. There is also a chain to the west of the fire; this opens the grate in the floor from the room with the first two draugr encountered in the barrow. A few skeletal remains fall down, and anything you may have left on the grate.
Through the double doors is a corridor which is similar to the corridors found before puzzle doors. There is a random enchanted helmet on a pedestal. Be careful when retrieving this helmet, because once it is removed from the pedestal, spears will shoot up from holes all around the base of the pedestal, and some more from above. Removing the helmet lets the gate blocking your progress lift, but there is also a chain hanging above you that activates the gate, if you don't feel confident of evading the spears. There is also a lever that activates the gate on the other side, which you can use to close the gate behind yourself.
Around the corner is an iron door which opens to the main chamber of the barrow. Three skeletons and Warlord Gathrik wait to pounce on unwary, unprepared adventurers. On the walkways on either side of the room, archer skeletons patrol, while a mage skeleton is down the stairs. Warlord Gathrik sits in his throne, opposite the entrance, but facing away. Gathrik's throne actually faces a word wall, which holds a word for the dragon shout, Become Ethereal. There is a chest to the left of the word wall, and around the back of the throne there is the unique weapon, Steel Battleaxe of Fiery Souls, a random shield, and two random potions; one potion of the healer, and one potion of strength.
There is a gate to the east at the bottom of the stairs; a chain to the right opens it. There is also a soul gem, a random sword and a satchel to the left, on the floor. Follow the winding stairs all the way up, and locate the door to the overlook.
If you follow the "path" eastward up the mountain (toward the dragon lair marker on your compass), you should come across a small Dwemer ruin. It is guarded by two ice wraiths. All that remains are three pillars, and on top of the middle pillar is a collection of seven random potions and poisons (see notes). There are two chests and a random enchanted warhammer at the base of the pillar. Slightly north of the pillars is a quicksilver ore vein.
- An easy way of retrieving the potions is to use telekinesis while standing higher up the mountain side looking down on the top of the pillar and either short blasts to pull them off the top of the pillar and letting them drop below for collection or drawing them to you individually. Using Unrelenting Force dragon shout will spread them down the mountainside and can be found as far afield as the Great Lift at Alftand.
- Another method is to use Whirlwind Sprint dragon shout to land on top of the pillar. Jump repeatedly while climbing up the mountainside behind the pillars until you have a good vantage point looking down at the potions. Using Whirlwind Sprint shout (one Word strength) can land you on top of the pillar with the potions.
- The Ironbind Barrow location does not have a hold assigned as its parent location, making it unavailable for any radiant quests in the specific hold.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Beem-Ja may appear without his clothes when he enters the barrow.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The helmet trap that opens the door only reacts to direct interactions. If you shoot the helmet off the pedestal with an arrow, the door will not open.
- You'll have to place something else there and pick it up to be able to continue, or just jump onto the pedestal yourself to trigger it.
- Sometimes, the Steel Battleaxe of Fiery Souls and the shield will be hovering in the air. This is caused when you are of a high enough level for Warlord Gathrik to be a dragon priest. When he gets off the throne, these items will be thrown into space.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Shooting the axe with an arrow or spell should cause it to fall to the ground.
- Using the console command
player.additem 40002 1will place a copy of the battleaxe in your inventory.
- The word wall in this dungeon may not give you its word.