|The Thu'um reaches out to the Void, changing your form to one that cannot harm, or be harmed.
|Ethereal Form for 8 seconds
|Ethereal Form for 13 seconds
|Feim Zii Gron
|Ethereal Form for 18 seconds
Become Ethereal is a dragon shout that turns you into an ethereal form. While in this form, you cannot deal damage or take damage (including damage from falls or poison). Attempting to interact with the world, via fighting, accessing a container, or talking to an NPC, causes the effects of the shout to stop working.
Meditating on the word Feim with Paarthurnax grants you the Eternal Spirit ability which increases health regeneration by 25% while under the effects of this shout. This can only be seen under active effects while ethereal.
- Coming of Age: Help a daring adventurer and her companion retrieve their riches.
- The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller: Retrieve a Greybeard artifact from Ustengrav.
- Safely bypass traps.
- Jump from heights without taking any damage.
- Can be used by melee characters to get close to powerful ranged characters without taking damage or staggering.
- Summoning atronachs to fight battles while remaining ethereal and out of reach is an extremely effective strategy for dealing with tough situations.
- If a cloak spell, such as Flame Cloak, is cast before using Become Ethereal, you can run into a group of enemies and cause damage to them without receiving damage from them.
- Master level spells, such as Fire Storm and Guardian Circle, may be prepared while ethereal.
- The first level of this shout is long enough to last through a dragon's breath attack, should taking cover or avoiding it not be an option. The relatively quick recharge ensures that it will be ready to use the next time the dragon attacks.
- Magicka, health and stamina can safely regenerate during combat while the shout is in effect.
- You can use Become Ethereal to take aim. This is particularly useful in situations where you are outnumbered, as it gives you a window to aim at whichever opponent you prefer, without being staggered or damaged.
- The visual effect of the shout is virtually identical to the night vision abilities of vampires (Vampire's Sight) and Khajiit (Night Eye), making it viable as a short-term night vision ability.
- You can run without draining Stamina.
- You can negate Drain Vitality and other damage over time attacks that would otherwise kill you.
- You cannot activate this shout while airborne. If you want to use it to survive fall damage, you have to activate the shout before jumping off the cliff, not right before you land.
- Sprinting while ethereal doesn't drain stamina.
- Most potions won't work while ethereal.
- It cannot protect you from damage by light in Twilight Sepulcher, damage by darkness in The Sallow RegentDB and Filament and FiligreeDB or death by lightning in Sovngarde.
- Nothing combative can be done in this form, but even a few seconds of reprieve from a difficult situation can be useful.
- It is necessary to start, but not necessary to finish, The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller in order to have all three words.
- It is possible to waste certain powers if they are used during this shout. Powers such as Ancestor's Wrath and many of the ones added by Dragonborn will fail to work while this shout is active. With normal powers, they will be grayed out after the failed attempt, but will be usable again when an in-game day passes. In the case of the All-Maker Stones, the power will disappear as normal when used.
- When using this shout, you get an effect (seen in the "Active Effects" tab) called "Become Ethereal" with the description of: "You become invulnerable, but unable to attack. However you recover magicka and stamina."
|NONVUL BRON D4M1N D1R ROT DO FIN
FOD3Z BORM4-N3 LOS H9V DO ENOOK
MUN W4 L4N9 VOTH 4KRIN 4RK ZIN
LEH ROK F2M VOD4MIN KOTIN VULOM
|Noble Nords remember these words (of) the
hoar father - It is duty of each
man to live with courage and honor
lest he fade unremembered into darkness.
|NONVUL BRON DahMaaN DaaR ROT DO FIN
FODiiZ BORMah-Nii LOS HeyV DO ENOOK
MUN Wah LahNey VOTH ahKRIN ahRK ZIN
LEH ROK FeiM VODahMIN KOTIN VULOM
|NAFNI W4L1N QETHSEGOL BORM43
V4RUKT ROGNVALD WEN Z3 FEN
M4FAER1K 1K OK BROD
4RK FOL8K OK HOKORON
|Nafni raised (this) stone
in memory of his father Rognvald, whose spirit will
forever guide his clan
and haunt his enemies.
|NAFNI WahLaaN QETHSEGOL BORMahii
VahRUKT ROGNVALD WEN Zii FEN
MahFAERaaK aaK OK BROD
ahRK FOLooK OK HOKORON
|HET NOK B2N N4G4DINOK
AZARAN F1L MUNAX WO UNT
W4 GRON KRILOT DILON DO
SOVNGARDE W4 L2N DO JUL 4RK FUNT
|Here lies foul Necromancer
Azaran the Cruel, who tried
to bind (the) valiant dead of
Sovngarde to (the) world of man and failed.
|HET NOK BeiN NahGahDINOK
AZARAN FaaL MUNAX WO UNT
Wah GRON KRILOT DILON DO
SOVNGARDE Wah LeiN DO JUL ahRK FUNT