|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Obtain quest from Korir, the Jarl of Winterhold.
- Journey to the target location.
- Retrieve the Helm of Winterhold.
- Return to Korir with the Helm.
When asking the Jarl of Winterhold, Korir, for work, you may be asked to find the missing Helm of Winterhold, which was worn by Jarl Hanse in the First Era:
- You're the Jarl? I'm looking for work.
- "Winterhold has lost much of its history, and with that much of its power. I aim to change that. I've heard rumors of the resting place of the Helm of Winterhold, the very same helm that Jarl Hanse wore in the First Era. Hanse was in line to be High King of Skyrim, you know. Having that might get the ear of the other Holds and give me some authority."
Once you've agreed to find it, head to the location marked on your map, and head to the boss chest, where you will find the Helm. The location will be randomly selected from the following: Driftshade Refuge, Fort Fellhammer, Hela's Folly, Hob's Fall Cave, Ironbind Barrow, Pride of Tel Vos, Saarthal, Snow Veil Sanctum, Yngol Barrow, Yngvild.
After you have retrieved the helm, return to Korir to receive your reward.
- The journal entry for Driftshade Refuge is listed as Driftshade Sanctuary.
- You cannot get this quest if Korir is not Jarl of Winterhold. Fortunately it is only a prerequisite for becoming Thane while Korir is Jarl: if he is replaced, his replacement will give you the title without completing this quest or any other.
- The Helm can be pickpocketed back off Korir if you are skilled enough. It will no longer be a Quest Item, but appears to retain its Stolen status even if sold to a Thieves Guild fence and repurchased (at least, this was the case with Mallus Maccius in Skyrim Special Edition).
- Unlike many "named" objects, there is nothing much special about the Helm of Winterhold. Once it stops being a Quest Item, it has the exact same properties and sale price as an unenchanted Steel Helmet.
- As of the latest version of Skyrim Special Edition, this also means it can be tempered with a Steel Ingot and the Steel Smithing perk. It can even be enchanted. The latter at least is probably not possible while it is still a quest item (needs testing?)
- If this quest sends you to Yngol Barrow, it breaks the associated quest, causing Yngol's Shade, the Helm of Yngol and the skeleton it rests upon not to appear as intended.
- This quest commonly conflicts with Purity of Revenge, causing one or the other to be unable to start until the other is completed.
- The quest may, through unknown conditions, become repeatable: pointing you to different locations every time it is given.
- If you have initiated this quest but subsequently went on to finish the Reunification of Skyrim questline for the Imperial Legion - or if Winterhold changes hands during Season Unending in the Main Quest line - Korir will be replaced as the jarl and be relocated to Brunwulf Free-Winter's house in Windhelm. If you try to give him the helm after Brunwulf becomes Jarl of Windhelm, he is continuously locked up in the house, and picking the lock will only result in him telling you you're trespassing. There is no way to finish the quest and you are stuck with the helmet in your inventory, as it cannot be dropped since it's a quest item.
- The quest can be completed by attacking and luring Korir outside, calming him, and then speaking with him before he heads back inside. This will incur a bounty. Trying to engage him in conversation just as you are leaving will also lead to him following you outside.
- Alternatively, open up the console, click on the jarl and then type
Addtofaction 0005A1A4 1 into the box. This adds an NPC to the player ally faction, which will make a normally hostile NPC be non-hostile. This should allow you to complete the quest.
- You can also finish the quest by typing
setstage Favor158 20. This will also remove the helmet from your inventory.
- Jarl Korir may not give a dialogue option to start this quest.
- Some reports suggest that the quest is flagged as completed as soon as one gain access to the College.
- Starting the quest via console does not work. You can bypass this quest and still become Thane of Winterhold on PC with
player.setrelationshiprank 1c1b5 2.
|Dungeon Delving (Jarl - Caves) (Favor158)
Objective 10: Find Helm of Winterhold inside <Alias=Dungeon>
Objective 15: Return Helm of Winterhold to Korir
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 200.