|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
Saromir is a Bosmer member of the Wooded Eye, a cult devouted to Hermaeus Mora found in Rootwater Grove. He is the caretaker of the Ayleid ruin of Ilmyris, but has been tortured was Vicereeve Pelidil, who overloaded his mind with memories imparted from Ayleid crystals. Now senile, he desires an end to his suffering, forgetting much of who he once was.
- "So many names. So many faces. Such terrible understanding."
- "You. I remember you. At least I think I do. Perhaps I just imagined it. That's all imagination is, you know. Memories of things that never happened."
- Are you Saromir?
- "I am Gordhaur the Shaper, the Fire King Hadhuul, Haromir of Copper and Tea, the Flower King Nilichi, Umaril the Unfeathered. Or I am just Saromir. It's becoming hard to know."
- "I could tell you, but I have forgotten how. Or perhaps I never knew.
- Listen: the Woodland Man calls you. In the pool. It's best if you do not look directly. It looks back, you know."
If you speak to him at any point after:
- "The Woodland Man is not wood or land or a man."
Once the rogue souls are contained and Hermaeus Mora is spoken to, you can talk to Saromir once again:
- "What does my lord command? Wait, who is my lord again? It's all so muddled."
- Herma-Mora has one final task for you.
- "Truly? I thought I dreamed my master offered me a place in his realm, in Apocrypha, when my service was done. But that may have been the caretaker before me."
- "Kill myself? That would be a blessing. I'll be free of these memories, free to know who I am. Here I come, my master!"
- "You mean, I must go to the shrine? How can I resist my master or question his wisdom? No-no-no, I can't. I-I'm too afraid. Forgive me Woodland Man, but I can't stay here!"
If you choose to persuade him, he gladly kills himself by drinking a fatal drink, and his soul becomes bound to the ruins on a pedestal.
Towards the end of the quest, Hermaeus Mora directs you to activate the crystal to see a vision of Pelidil and Laryaril interrogating Saromir and the crystals for information:
- Saromir: "Not another memory! My mind is full!"
- Laryaril: "Are you sure we're not wasting our time? How many people has this crystal killed now?"
- Vicereeve Pelidil: "Patience. Rest assured, Ilmyris contains the knowledge that Naemon's Shade will need."
- Saromir: "No, the roots, they envelop the whole forest … and at the center, such pulsing … augh!"
- Vicereeve Pelidil: "Pulsing. The heart. At last. Let me see."
- Laryaril: "Wait! What are you doing? The crystal will drive you mad!"
- Vicereeve Pelidil: "Magnificent! Such truth, such clarity of sight. Everything leads to Hectahame…."