Online:Decree of the Court
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Online Quest Project.
The page is being both written and checked. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
Start the quest by talking to the Knave of Rooks, a talking crow perched on the stairs of a burned house in the southwest area of Crow's Wood. (This is the same house you are instructed to visit during A Son's Promise.)
- "Intruder! Halt! Halt! Intruder!"
- A talking crow?
- "You have entered the domain of the Blackfeather Court.
You must pay the toll. Flesh or silver? Choose!"
- And if I refuse?
- "Then ... well ... things will go badly for you. Droppings on your shiny clothes. Yes, that's it! And incessant cawing! We'll keep you awake all through the night.
Do not cross Blackfeather Court, intruder."
- I'll humor you, crow ... for now.
- "There are two tolls you can pay: the toll of flesh, or the toll of silver. Choose!"
- Tell me about the toll of flesh.
- "The toll of flesh commits you to fight our enemies, the wretched bats of this wood.
Each time you kill a bat, we'll descend to feast upon the bat's tender bits."
- Tell me about the toll of silver.
- "The toll of silver! Search the dark caves and the farthest corners of the woods. Collect trinkets of shiny silver left by those who fell to the wolves.
Glitter and glister! Such trinkets please us with their luster."
- I'm ready to choose.
- "Speak then, featherless one!"[Information needed for the NPC's response to this line and the wordings of the player's choices.]
The Toll of Flesh
If you choose to pay in flesh, you can tell the Knave so:
- I choose the toll of flesh.
- "Then we shall feast on our foes. When you have killed four and four of the flying rats, find the Seneschal of Carrion."
- Eight bats? I can do that.
You need to kill eight giant bats. You'll find them north of the burned out house, on high ground, typically in groups of three. Fight carefully: several of them are interspersed between groups of ghosts, and it is very easy to get ganged up on and overwhelmed. Every time you kill a giant bat, crows will descend from the skies to pick the corpse clean.
Once you've killed eight bats, locate the Seneschal of Carrion near the center of Crow's Wood:
- "You! Knave tells me you choose toll of flesh. True? True?"
- I've paid the toll of flesh.
- "The court is fat and happy. The bats are dead, and we have fed. Eyes and wings and skin and ears. Such tender bits!
We are pleased with your tribute, featherless. The duke wishes to speak with you."
- Well, good.
Refer to the appropriate section below.
The Toll of Silver
If you choose to pay will silver, you can respond as so:
- I choose the toll of silver.
- "Then go to the caves and bring us trinkets.
The Seneschal of Carrion awaits at the Blackfeather Court far up the road to accept your shiny, shiny tribute."
- I'll get the silver.
Once you've obtained all needed trinkets, locate the Seneschal of Carrion near the center of Crow's Wood.
- "Such glitter and gleam! Such twinkle and shine! We thank you for your tribute, featherless.
Our duke will want to speak with you. Go! Present yourself to the duke for your reward while I add these glitteries to our hoard."
He'll thank you for paying the toll, and then refer you to the Duke of Crows.
The Duke of Crows
The Duke is perched near the Seneschal. Speak to him to complete the quest:
- "Featherless approaches! Approaches!"
- The Seneschal said I should speak with you ... Your Grace.
- "Indeed! Your efforts will be rewarded, my featherless subject. You are the first to satisfy the terms of our toll.
I hereby bestow upon you citizenship in these woods, as well as vassal servants to aid you. Welcome to Crow's Wood, fledgling."
|Decree of the Court|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|I should speak to the talking crow and find out what I can about this toll.
Objective: Talk to the Knave of Rooks
|(If you choose the Toll of Silver)
I've been charged with finding silver treasures in Crow's Wood. They could serve as tribute to the Blackfeather Court.
Objective: Pay the toll of Silver by finding Trinkets: 0/4
|I've collected silver trinkets the crows desire. I need to bring them to the Seneschal of Carrion in the Blackfeather Court.
Objective: Talk to the Seneschal of Carrion
|(If you choose the Toll of Flesh)
The crows demand a feast. I've been commanded to kill eight bats as a meal for the murder of crows.
Objective: Pay the toll of flesh by killing bats: 0/8
Objective Hint: Use the Whistle on a Bat Corpse
|I paid the toll of flesh. The crows feasted on the remains of their monstrous foes. I should report to the Seneschal of Carrion in the Blackfeather Court.
Objective: Talk to the Seneschal of Carrion
|The toll has been paid. I've been directed to speak to the Duke of Crows, the leader of the Blackfeather Court.
Objective: Talk to the Duke of Crows