Online:Knave of Rooks
|Knave of Rooks|
- Decree of the Court: Pay a toll of flesh or silver to the Blackfeather Court.
- Lost in the Gloam: Assist the Blackfeather Court to reclaim a mysterious key.
- Unto the Dark: Pursue the Shadow of Sotha Sil to the center of the Clockwork City.
Decree of the Court
Lost in the Gloam
When approached by the tree near the Basilica, after the scene with Constable Drados
- Knave of Rooks: "Intruder! Halt! Halt! Speak, or be pecked!"
Speaking with him:
- "Spy! Stay back, spy!
- This tree belongs to the Blackfeather Court. The Duke claimed it, by law of sovereign roost! Look for shinies somewhere else! Go! Go!"
- I'm not a spy. I just want to talk.
- "Spy! No talking! I know a spy when I see one! The Exarchs of Dross may share meat with the featherless giants, but not the Blackfeather Court!
- In wartime, only spies approach without tribute. Every bird knows that!"
- What if I go get a tribute for the Court?
- "Tribute! Yes! Shinies for the Duke!
- We demand a treasure from our enemy! The metal man who shouts at us- Constable Drados. May his tail droop and his wings wither! Snatch up his silver treasure, and then we parlay. Go!"
- Where can I find this treasure?
- "Perhaps he carries a treasure beneath his clinkety-clanking clothes. Or maybe he hides treasure away in the stone nest called Cloisters. That is for you to find out, Featherless! Now go!"
More conversation before fetching Drados' silver belt buckle:
- "Why do you linger, Featherless? Fetch our treasure or begone! Begone!"
- Who are you?
- "Bah! Questions!
- I am called the Knave of Rooks- craftiest and cleverest vassal of the Blackfeather Court. Sometimes loyal servant of the Duke of Crows himself!"
- And what exactly is the Blackfeather Court?
- "Truly? You have not read about us in your histories? Ridiculous!
- The crows of the Blackfeather Court rule the skies of Oblivion. We hold dominion over the realm of Crow's Wood and many lands beyond. All lesser birds pay us homage!"
- So, you're from Oblivion? Like Daedra?
- "Daedra? Do we look like Daedra to you? Daedra look like crocodile men, and fat-faced ogres, and plate-necked turkeys! Every bird knows that!"
- And these Exarchs you mentioned? Are they birds like you?
- "Yes! The Exarchs of Dross! Our hated rivals. They fancy themselves crows, but they are nothing but sparrows in black feathers! Cowards, traitors and spies. Spies!"
- Why do you hate them so much?
- "Ha! A silly question! Some feuds have no beginnings and no ends.
- We hate them because they follow orders from the mistress, like dogs. We hate them because they do not pay us tribute. We hate them because they hate us!"
- The mistress? Who is that?
- "No! No more questions! Go, fetch our treasure or go away!"
Speaking with the Knave after fetching the belt-buckle:
- "Well? Do you have our shinies? Speak, spy!"
- I stole this belt-buckle from the constable's trunk.
- "Such sparkle and shine. A prize! A prize from our enemy! Perhaps you are a worthy crow-friend after all.
- Ask your questions. Ask!"
- Did one of you steal a key from the Clockwork Basilica?
- "A key? Yes, the Great Prize! The Shiniest Lock-Poker! Our heroic Knight of Marrow breached the gates and claimed it from the clumsy apostles, and our Exarch foes!
- The featherless ones squabble over its whereabouts, but they'll never find it. Never!"
- Can you tell me where it is?
- "No. Only our Duke of Crows knows. You cannot speak to him, crow-friend- not without an escort.
- Find the Knight of Marrow. He is our grandest champion! Sleek and strong! Honor him with shinies and sweet meats and he may help."
- Where is this Knight of Marrow?
- "By a great waterfall, south and east. Swooning like a lovesick dove, no doubt. Even now he builds his lady love a glorious nest, but she is fickle and he is foolish.
- Go and talk to him. He needs adventure."
- Who are these Exarchs again?
- "Enemy crows! The Exarchs of Dross.
- They serve the shadow women and try to steal the Great Prize from us. But the Blackfeather Court bows to no one! Our Duke will rend their Queen of Chaff to pieces and we will feast on her entrails!"
- Shadow women?
- "Shrikes! Weeping, featherless pale-skins that swat and curse us! And their other servants also- black-robed cultists. May they eat sour meat and die!"
- Why do you care about this key so much?
- "If you see it, you will know. No silver glistens and gleams like the Prize!
- The Exarchs and the shadow women want it, but it's ours now. Ours! The Knight of Marrow claimed it for the Court. Ask him."
- How did you learn how to talk?
- "We crows are clever and wise. Wise! We bend our words into sentences just as you do- except we're better at it because we're smarter than you."
He also has dialogue when you first approach him if you've met him before in Crow's Wood:
- Spy! Speak or I'll—! Wait… I know you. The Duke's tall, fat-legged vassal from Crow's Wood! Ha!"
- Well, we're not in Crow's Wood anymore, Featherless! Go look for shinies somewhere else!"
Unto the Dark
- "Crow-friend! I am glad I found you. Just let me... catch my breath."
- Knave of Rooks? What are you doing here?
- "The Duke of Crows sent us far and wide looking for you. My wings ache from the effort! Ache!"
- "You wish to use the Gloaming Gates, yes? Well, only crows, and shrikes, and silly cultists can use them. The Mistress keeps them locked."
- So you activated it for me?
- "Yes! You need a crow's cunning to use these things."
- "Now, in you go. I will come with you, to help you find our brave Knight's murderer. You must kill the Shadow of the Clock-god. Kill him, then we'll pick the bones clean!"
- What about Luciana?
- "The metal woman? Bah! We help her too, but only because we know you'd be cross if we did not. We think she is stupid and ugly, but a friend of our crow-friend is sort of a friend of the Duke's. Sort of."
- "Now, no more talking. Into the gate! Go!"
Speaking to him after making it through the Evergloam will yield the following conversation:
- "Made it, at last. At last! Well done, crow-friend. You move quickly for someone with stubby legs and no wings."
- "Now, I will lock this gate with crow-magic. No one will follow you- I swear it on the Duke's fine plumage!"
- Are you coming with us to the Cogitum Centralis?
- "Oh no. Not yet. Not yet! Our mischief's not done. We still have shadow women to peck, and cultists to chase, and shinies to steal!"
- Well, thanks for the help.
- "No time for weepy goodbyes, Featherless! Go help your metal-woman, and stop that Shadow! Go!"