Oblivion talk:Light Armor
- 1 Clarification
- 2 Speed
- 3 Master Perk
- 4 Decreasing encumbrance
- 5 light vs heavy
- 6 Skill does not increase
- 7 Light Armor
- 8 Do the perks stack?
- 9 Mastery Perk
- 10 Shield Bonus Not Applied.
- 11 Mastery - worn with clothes
- 12 Helmet of the Scout ( very hard to find)
- 13 Removed note
- 14 HELP!!!!
- 15 How to level up your light and heavy armor
Under Mastery Perks it says:
An Expert's equipped light armor does not encumber him at all
When a Master wears only light armor, he gains a bonus of 50% to the armor rating of that armor
1. Is there a difference between equipping and wearing?
2. More specifically, if I am a Master (100%) of light armor and I wear all light armor BUT carry (equip) a heavy armor shield, do I still get the light armor Master bonus to all my light armor?
Thanks - BA
18.104.22.168 19:16, 10 January 2007 (EST)
- Equip is the act of starting to wear an item, so practically no. If you wear a heavy shield, then obviously the condition of wearing all light armor is not met. --FMan | Talk |http://www.fooman.fi/ 20:03, 10 January 2007 (EST)
What determines your the amount your running speed is decreased? Is it your total carried wieght or the wieght of your armour?
And at master level is there any speed advantage between light and heavy armour?
- As long as you are master in light armor. I don't think it's doubled; you get 50% bonus. So if your regular amount of defence is 50, you add 25 to bring up your armor rate to 75. Although, you have to wear a full light armor set: shield and helmet included. They don't have to be all of the same type though (aka: all glass). I'm pretty sure wearing full outfits like the Dark Brotherhood armor also gives a bonus. Vesna 21:31, 29 February 2008 (EST)
- You don't have to have a light armor shield at all. As for the helmet, I believe you'll only lose the bonus if you wear a heavy armor helmet; switching from the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal, which isn't armor at all, to the Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw causes me to lose the bonus, but I definitely have it with the Cowl on. Shashakiro 03:15, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- For some reason on my game the armor ratings of my armor change even though the health has not changed, i have the cuirass of the crusader and glass cuirass but when i equip them with the other crusader relics minus shield the armor rating is 72 for both of them but sometimes it changes to 62, can anyone suggest why this happens?Dadrak 13:50, 8 March 2009 (EDT)
Humm... The Crusader Cuirass has a "Resist Normal Weapons" enchantment, witch I believe adds too your armor. Also, all the crusader relics worn together add the effect of 5% shield.--22.214.171.124 10:38, 9 June 2009 (EDT)
So, any explanations as to why my encumbrance decreases when I equip pieces of light armour? I can't see the explanation given in the mastery perks... Gnome
- One of the mastery perks described in the article is that any equipped light armor does not affect encumberance. So yes, your encumberance will go down when you equip pieces of light armor. --Darth NANAME 14:16, 5 August 2008 (EDT)
- Just to clarify Darth's comment, what you are seeing is the weight of the armor being subtracted from your encumbrance. The Expert-level perk makes light armor weightless when equipped/worn, but it still weighs its normal amount when in your inventory but not equipped/worn. So when you equip light armor in your inventory, the weight of that piece of armor is subtracted from your encumbrance. --Gaebrial 03:12, 6 August 2008 (EDT)
- Just to clarify on that point: when you reach Expert level in your light armor skill, light armor no longer encumbers you when you wear it. That means if you're wearing a shirt, for instance, a glass cuirass in your inventory will count towards your encumbrance total; put it on and that weight will disappear. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 03:16, 6 August 2008 (EDT)
light vs heavy
what advantages does light armor have over heavy? is light better for marksman/magic or is it just meant to cost less or what? 126.96.36.199 21:18, 12 June 2009 (EDT)
- At lower levels, Light Armor gives you a huge advantage in terms of how fast you move: since you have to be a Master in Heavy Armor to be able to move as efficiently. Light Armor is obviously lighter, and since it weighs less it can be useful if your Strenght and Encumbrance aren't too high. While it is worth less than Heavy Armor, it actually a better deal to pick up light armor, since the value ratio is higher. --SerCenKing Talk 06:38, 13 June 2009 (EDT)
Skill does not increase
I'm wearing a full suit of light armour, minus a shield, and I've let a bandit beat me to within an inch of my life but my light armour skill has not increased at all. I'm playing the PS3 version. This is the second time it's happened and I've been playing for ages. Anyone else have this glitch before? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) on 2 August 2009
- What is your current skill level? At high levels, it can take a long, long time before your skill increases. Try looking at the progress slider in your menu (I have no idea how this works on the PS3 so I can't tell you how). Is that advancing at all? –rpeh•T•C•E• 12:51, 2 August 2009 (UTC)
- If armor is completely broken (health is at 0) then getting it hit doesn't level up you skill UNLESS it is enchanted
I'm guessing light armor only counts as actual armor. (i.e. leather, glass, etc.) But just to clarify this, regular clothes don't count do they? Because that would actually be kind of cool. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 30 January 2010
- This would be better to have openly displayed, I spent hours looking through your pages to find this information only to find it via google, here on your server, searching for the set phrase "does clothing count as light armor if you are hit wearing only clothes". the ironic thing about this is that it was a thrown out skill from morrowind(understandably), butthat if you have shield spell enchanted clothing you do not recieve points in any skill.— Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 1 jun 2011
- I am not sure why you would think clothes should count as armor. Also, in Morrowind you would receive skill points in Unarmored when you are wearing clothing, but no armor, on the hit body part. I assume you would in Oblivion too. --Brf 13:56, 1 June 2011 (UTC)
Do the perks stack?
Like, if I'm an expert and my encumberance is at 499/500 while wearing my armor, and I become a master, will my anti-light-armor-encumbrance go away and I'll be overencumbered because I leveled up? Or do you get the benefits from the previous class rank also?
Hope that makes sense.... 18.104.22.168 19:57, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
- Don't worry it does. Yes they stack and you will still have the encumbrance perks.--Corevette789 19:59, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
- Awesome, and thanks for the speedy reply! 22.214.171.124 01:53, 31 March 2010 (UTC)
I have read the previous Q&As on this talk page but one thing is still not entirely clear to me. One is supposed to get a 50% armor bonus if one wears *only light armor*, but does that mean that wearing, say, the the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal will nullify the bonus, or does it just mean that you can't wear any heavy armor?
- I did a bit of testing on the 360, and the bonus only stops applaying, in my case, when heavy armor is equiped. Clothes are not armor at all, and are thus exempt.126.96.36.199 05:23, 14 August 2010 (UTC)
Shield Bonus Not Applied.
With Mastery of the Light Armor Skill and Speed attribute at 100, a full set of Mithril Armor has a defence rating of 33. This surely isn't right, and upon checking it seems the the defence bonus of my shield isn't being applied at all (ie when repaired it has 0 effect while equipped). Is there any reason why this may be?
- Something's not right there. A full set of Mithril Armor should give you 35, and then the extra 50% bonus you get from being a master should take you to 52.5 (not sure if that will show as 52 or 53). It sounds like one of your items isn't really mithril, but I don't know. rpeh •T•C•E• 10:41, 23 August 2010 (UTC)
Mastery - worn with clothes
Suppose I'm master in light armor and I wear full light armor except for boots (Boots of Springheel Jack). Do I still get the +50% bonus to the pieces I wear? Am I encumbered normally by the armor or is its weight nullified? — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 13:47 on 4 October 2010
- You only get the bonus if you're wearing only light armor or clothing. If you have even one piece of heavy armor, you lose the bonus. You are encumbered as normal, whether or not you mix & match. – Robin Hood↝talk 23:26, 4 October 2010 (UTC)
Helmet of the Scout ( very hard to find)
Hello i am trying to get all leather enchanted armor but i can't seem to find this detect life helmet anywhere currently i am at onyx caverns trying to get the darn helmet i am level 6 with a custom fortiy luck spell (100) and i am on the ps3 so i can't use the console Also i keep getting helmet of the apprentice or wizard's helmet and not this helmet in discussion someone please answer my question! — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 1 January 2011
- First the good news, if you have Dunburrow cove I am nearly positive you can buy it their. The bad news is that it is a generic enchanted item and may take awhile to find in any other way, though you are in luck, as I know that if you go to Swampy Cave you are guaranteed to at least have a chance to pick it up at your level, just save at the entrance before running it or wait a few days before trying again, you'll get it eventually. — Unsigned comment by Alpha Kenny Buddy (talk • contribs) on 1 January 2011
- ok but i think i can not download plug-ins so just keep trying then? i am on the ps3 so i cant download plugins and i have goty edition it would be cool if i could though and did anyone else find it or is it just me?
- Also i already went to Swampy Cave for deer skin heelmet so just luck then huh? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 1 January 2011
- Please sign your posts on talk pages you do it by putting four tildes in a row (these things~). However if you already hit Swampy cave it is useless as I know see the chest with the detect life doesn't respawn, so now it is entirely a shot in the dark to get, sorry I couldn't help more. — Unsigned comment by Alpha Kenny Buddy (talk • contribs) on 1 January 2011
"I just removed the following note from the Notes section of this page: "* If your character has primarily worn one type of armor for the first few beginning levels, switching to the other (light/heavy) armor type for one or two character levels will tend to result in it rapidly "catching up" as the tougher NPCs and beasts will hit more often." Data from the construction set indicates armor has no effect on chance to hit, only damage reduction, so the note is completely unfounded."
Copied from Heavy Armor talk page, I removed the exact same note from this page, and the other edit has not been undone in months, so the articles need to be the same, either both have it or neither have it.--18.104.22.168 17:53, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
Not a long time ago i got to level 15 but now I'm rading bandit dungeons and everything but i cant find any elven armor, but every time I fight Marauders I see Ebony, I don't know what to do please help!! 22.214.171.124 00:42, 30 June 2011 (UTC)
How to level up your light and heavy armor
step one, have three spell scrolls that are the same and a strong potion of healing, sttep to, select the spell scroll and WITHOUT backing out of that thingy you go and drop your strong potion of healing, and it will dupe, do this like a billion times till you have around 1 k strong potions of healing, then you go to a guard barracks during the day, wait till midnight,and go up to were the guards are sleeping, there is a big amount of guards at chorral, then you whack one gaurd with your fists, risist arrest, and have your healing potions toggaled, then you were what u want to level up and you just let them hit you, when your heath gets low just drink a health portion, or u can dup strong potions of magicka and use resoration spells, your choice and after 'bout 45min-i hour you will be a master in heavy, light armor and resoration spells, tah dah!!!! my xbox live gamertag is QDSXL2001 and i got skyrim adn i am like a living WIKI,well, only on oblivion, but ask me for help or advise and i will definetly help u, oh and my email is email@example.com— Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 21:24 on 27 March 2012