The Oghma Infinium is a book which is obtained upon completion of Hermaeus Mora's Daedric Shrine quest. When you read the book, it increases three skills and two attributes by 10 pts each, permanently. Which skills and attributes depends which of three paths you choose when you use it. You may only choose one path, then the book disappears. The choices are as follows:
|The Path of Steel||The Path of Shadow||The Path of Spirit|
|Strength||Speed||Willpower (see bugs)|
Skills can be increased above the usual maximum of 100 pts. This is of limited use, however, because skill increases over 100 do not grant special abilities and usually do not increase damage/armor rating/spell effectiveness etc. One advantage is that you are able to gain extra levels if the Oghma Infinium raises major skills.
Using this book, all attributes except Endurance, Personality and Luck (but only two of them per character, depending on which Path you choose) can be raised above 100 to at most 110 with a corresponding increase in all derived values, such as Magicka, running speed or carrying capacity (see Attributes over 100 for details).
- The text inside is identical to the text in the Mysterium Xarxes.
- Although your attributes are increased by 10, you are not notified of the increases in the upper left of your display in the same way as you are for the skill increases. This is because the game handles the attribute changes differently; it checks what your current attribute is, then adds 10 to it.
- It is possible to benefit more from the Oghma Infinium by leaving it until you have maximized the attributes on the Path you want to choose (see post 100 Attributes). At anytime before your Attributes are maximized (100) it is possible to keep leveling and raise them through lowering your skills (see Maximum Character Level), so reading the book is of limited use before then.
- If the skills raised by the Oghma Infinium are major skills to you, they count to raise your level. This means that if more than one of the skills raised are your major skills, you will raise your level more than once. If this happens, only the first level increase receives the attribute bonuses that you get per level as normal. The second or third level increases only allow +1 attribute gains. However, this can be "exploited" to give you an extra few levels when you have otherwise maximized your level.
- The Oghma Infinium is considered a quest item and cannot be removed from your inventory, except by giving it to Martin in Blood of the Daedra or reading it.
- If a skill or attribute is increased to 255 (either by exploiting Felldew or the console), and you use the Oghma Infinium, it will automatically loop back to zero, with the message "You now have a basic understanding of this skill." shown if a skill is affected.
- Taking the Path of Spirit does not properly increase Willpower, because the script tries to raise it as a skill.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- An easy way to account for this bug is to use
player.modpca willpower 10in the console, which will increase willpower by 10.
- An alternative console command is
player.setav willpower #(# = what your willpower should be), however you must unequip all Fortify Willpower items to use it correctly, which is typically more of a hassle.
- On the 360 and PS3, no current patch fixes this problem, making the Path of Spirit far less attractive. Increasing skills above 100 does not decrease casting cost.
- Attempting to activate the Oghma Infinium may trigger a bug whereby the game freezes upon activating the skill boost. A workaround for this is to assign the Oghma Infinium to a shortcut key. Activating the book using a shortcut key, rather than by selecting it from the inventory, will allow the player to gain the skill boost as normal without the game freezing.
- SloCans Oghma Infinium Crash Fix may fix this problem.