|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- (Optional) Speak to Ashumanu Eraishah about latest rumors.
- Find Umbra just over the hills from Suran.
- Defeat Umbra to claim the namesake sword.
Go to the Suran Tradehouse, and ask Ashumanu Eraishah about latest rumors, and she will tell you about a dangerous-looking Orc she saw in the hills to the east of town. She'll warn you to steer clear, but who are you to listen to warnings?
To find him, exit the tradehouse and face the hills. Use a Levitate spell or potion to ascend them, or if your Acrobatics skill is high enough you could try climbing the pass on foot. There's also a pass around the mountains, but it's difficult to find, and a much longer walk. A way to make the walk more efficient is to find Umbra after you do the Inanius Egg Mine quest, as he is just around the corner from there. You should see Umbra surrounded by a wall or pile of rocks.
The Weary Warrior
Speak with him to learn that the Orc is merely tired of life, having killed so many times, and wishes to die a warrior's death in combat. He will fight you if you grant Umbra his wish for a worthy death. Be warned though, Umbra is more powerful than your average opponent. He wears full Orcish armor and his sword packs a considerable punch, but he has no ranged weapons or spells. You might want to attack from a distance or have some healing magic prepared if you aren't well armored and don't care about the Honor aspect.
Once you kill him, you get to keep his equipment, including his sword, which goes by the same name as him. When you ask his name, he says that his name doesn't matter, and tells you that, if it makes you feel better, you can call him after his sword.
- You can also receive this quest from Helviane Desele in Desele's House of Earthly Delights, although the journal entry will state that you spoke to Ashumanu.
- They both have the same dialogue that begins the quest:
- "Well, I don't know if anyone else has seen him, but I saw some crazy guy wandering around the hills east of here recently. He was all decked out in armor and waving his sword, mumbling about there being no one to challenge him. I'd steer clear, stranger."
- If you refuse to kill him, you will complete the quest in the journal, but can also ask him again about "die like a warrior", upon which he will again give you the choice to kill him.
- You may not get the journal entry which says you have completed the mission after killing him, even if you get Journal entry 10 first.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
|Index||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||While in Suran, I spoke to Ashumanu Eraishah. She told me of a madman on a hill nearby. She thinks the man is dangerous, although he hasn't harmed anyone around.|
|20||I've met anon the top of a mountain near Suran. It appears he is a warrior, but he seems world-weary and jaded. He tells me his name is Umbra.|
|30||This, Umbra, has only one desire -- to die. He seems upset that the gods have put no one in this world capable of killing him, allowing him to achieve his goal of death in battle. He would like me to try and kill him.|
|40||Death seems a fair thing to grant this man. He wishes to die in battle, so I will give him the death he deserves.|
|50||I cannot bring myself to fight this man. He seems mad to me, and his slaughter would bring me no glory.|
|60||I have killed thecalled Umbra. He was a valiant warrior, and he has died in the manner of his choosing.|