- Speak to Aengoth the Jeweler at The Rat In the Pot in Ald'ruhn about your new job.
- Go to the Guild of Mages in town to steal Anarenen's Devil Tanto.
- Take care of the guard and steal the tanto.
- (Optional, not required but highly recommended) Steal the copy of Withershins.
- Return to Aengoth to complete the quest.
Manis Virmaulese gives the last full measure of devotion
Aengoth the Jeweler at The Rat In the Pot in Ald'ruhn will ask you to steal Anarenen's Devil Tanto in the Ald'ruhn Guild of Mages, as it is apparently unguarded.
Stealing Anarenen's Devil Tanto
You will quickly find that the guildhall isn't completely unguarded; there is one guard in the entrance, Manis Virmaulese, who immediately engages in combat with you as soon as you enter the guild, forcing you to kill him or simply ignore him. If your Sneak skill is high enough, or you make use of Invisibility or Chameleon spells, you can easily avoid dealing with him. He'll still challenge you when you enter, but if he can't see you, he can't fight you. The tanto is in a small locked chest downstairs to the right in the alchemist's corner on the top shelf.
Return to Aengoth for a reward of, well, nothing. You can, of course, sell anything else you loot from the guildhall.
- You may also wish to steal the book Withershins from beside the Imperial Cult altar for a later quest.
- If you are traveling back to Ald'ruhn from another town after having initiated this quest, take the guild guide rather than go by silt strider. You will land in the Ald'ruhn Mages Guild downstairs, and if you sneak, you may be able to avoid Manis until the very end, when you need to exit (though he is not very difficult anyway, save for a possible Burden spell). You can also exit by using the Intervention spells. If you spare his life, he will disappear after you finish the quest.
- Manis will automatically assume that you are a thief, even if you are a member of the Mages Guild. He won't even recognize you if you are the Arch-Mage.
- If you loot Anarenen's chest before you get the quest, the tanto will not appear.
- Use the console command
player->AddItem "devil_tanto_tgamg" 1 to give yourself the tanto.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
|Loot the Mages Guild (TG_LootAldruhnMG)
||Aengoth the Jeweler told me that he heard the Guild of Mages in Ald'ruhn is empty and that now would be a good time to fetch Anareren's Devil Tanto.
||Aengoth thanked me for bringing him Anareren's Devil Tanto.