UESPWiki talk:Map Help
Post any questions related to the UESP maps below.
- 1 I really think you need to change...
- 2 Compressed XAMPP portable can make an Offline version of the map WORK...
- 3 Map not Displaying properly
- 4 Search for specific type of location?
- 5 Map displaying properties when the drop-down box says "None"
- 6 Morrowind map working poorly.
- 7 Suddenly the text is too small to read.
- 8 Add the ability to display multiple locations simultaneously, and to search for locations by quest title
- 9 Would placing map markers be possible?
- 10 Enabling/disabling labels
I really think you need to change...
- Its on the "to do" list although it is not as simple as changing the text color unfortunately. The new coloured map is a mix of dark and light colours and just changing the text color makes it easier to see it one place but harder in another. I'm going to try putting a semi-transparent background behind the label which is simple in theory but difficult to do with the maps API we're using. -- Daveh (talk) 18:10, 1 November 2013 (GMT)
- Is it possible to use a border on the text? White text with a black border is visible on essentially every background. Xolroc (talk) 18:23, 1 November 2013 (GMT)
Compressed XAMPP portable can make an Offline version of the map WORK...
For Windows: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
For Mac OS X: http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html
For Ubuntu: apt-get install ^lamp-server
Would be VERY nice to see an offline release of the Morrowind map, mostly because some people uses old computers without internet connection to play Morrowind (Mac OS X Mavericks doesn't run Morrowind very well)— Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 00:08 on 04 November 2013
Map not Displaying properly
I usually use a fairly old computer (it still uses XP) and I noticed that this version of the map doesn't display properly on it (shows a white backround with just the text from the top of the map) forcing me to use a different computer if I want to use the map. Is this just because my computer is old, or is it a bug, or the lack of some graphics software or something?Bookwyrm1357 (talk) 00:21, 28 December 2013 (GMT)
- I get this effect with IE6. Is using another/newer browser on the old computer an option? Several features of this site don't work properly with IE6, so if it is the browser, I'm not sure if trying to make the map IE6-compatible will be worth it. --Alfwyn (talk) 12:21, 28 December 2013 (GMT)
Search for specific type of location?
Is there a way to make the map highlight all of a specific type of location, such as all farms, or mills, or towns, or Dwemer ruins? I don't see any way to do this. --Aaron of Mpls (talk) 01:14, 8 May 2014 (GMT)
- Not currently I don't think. Is this for the ESO map? That's the one that currently has the most activity. If it's a feature you'd like to see, you are welcome to mention it on the ESO Map Design talk page, or contact Dave directly on his talk page. Some sort of highlight or filter I think would indeed be useful. --Enodoc (talk) 20:34, 8 May 2014 (GMT)
Map displaying properties when the drop-down box says "None"
I'm using Windows 7. If I use the link "View on Map", it shows all of the ore locations. The drop-down says that it is displaying "None" in relation to resources. I would like the option of seeing town or city names only. If I wanted to see the ore locations, I'd choose one of them in the Resources drop-down. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 12:51 on 25 February 2015
- Assuming you are referring to the Skyrim map. When zoomed in that far (zoom level 15), many individual resource nodes are mapped; the drop-down selection conversely highlights an area that nodes are located in, rather than identifying each node individually. If you just want to see town and city names, zoom out a bit. The further you zoom out, the less small places are shown. --Enodoc (talk) 13:38, 4 March 2015 (GMT)
Morrowind map working poorly.
Using windows 10, chrome based browser (tested on actual chrome and microsoft edge as well). Landmarks and particular locations do not appear on the map, it may took several map reloads (F5 or ctrl+F5) to get particular location text-line, and if I'm extremely lucky, it would get all of them. No matter how close I zoom, locations do not appear.
In case you don't understand what's wrong with my map (because I'm russian and my language skills are not perfect), I made a screenshot:  — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 20:50 on 6 February 2016
- Thanks for the note! This seems to be a temporary issue with loading of locations for an unknown reason (I had the same issue as you last week but it is working fine now). It is working now and I'll be continuing to check on it to see if I can catch it acting up again to figure out exactly what the problem is. -- Daveh (talk) 14:45, 8 February 2016 (UTC)
Suddenly the text is too small to read.
I have been using the map for weeks without any issue whatever...until today. Now, when I open the map the text markers are so tiny I have no hope of reading them. What went wrong? How do I get readable text back? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 23:24 on 17 August 2016
Add the ability to display multiple locations simultaneously, and to search for locations by quest title
Finding the location of one place, relative to another place would be very helpful.
It is clearly possible to display several different locations, such as the list of default locations shown on the initial map. Comma separation or semi-colon separation of search words seems ideal. To search for the location of Fellglow Keep relative to Whiterun with comma separation you would enter "Fellglow Keep, Whiterun" or "Whiterun, Fellglow Keep" (without the quotation marks). Both locations would then be displayed on the map, bypassing the search results list, because you cannot make multiple selections in the search results list.
However, you could add a button to the search results list that toggles the ability to display two or more selections simultaneously. Click the toggle, click two or more listed locations, then click the toggle again. All the selected results will then display on the map at once. Clicking the toggle the first time stores a list of the links clicked in the results box; clicking the toggle box a second time sets the toggle to its 'off' default state while also executing the list of selected locations to be displayed. Adding an active display of the currently selected links would be a nice touch, but not nearly as important as implementing these two features in their basic states.
Adding a function to search by quest titles or keywords based on the strings displayed in the quest log would greatly facilitate finding locations because you would not need to research their names first. Clearly this is a great application of the multiple locations display function. This may require another toggle button to direct searches to look for quest locations in a different database or with a different subroutine than would be used by default. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 16:43 on 29 October 2017
Would placing map markers be possible?
Would it be possible to make map markers that can be placed in locations around the map? You see I love to mark places to know where certain books, weapons, armor, valuables and Etc are since I can later go back to them and see what was there. Would this be possible to make with this or any other maps, even if it were just a small arrow pointing to a location with no real indication of what is there it would be better than nothing. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 23:38 on 6 May 2019
Is there any chance to be able to add a disable/enable button for all the labels on the map? So that, like in google earth, it is possible to see the map without any writing. Thank you for the great work you do. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 11:25 on 17 May 2019