|Artifact: Necromancer Amulet (000c891d)
The Necromancer Amulet is a legendary artifact created by the King of Worms, Mannimarco. The wearer becomes wise beyond their years and far more capable in the School of Conjuration. The amulet is unstable in this world, and is forever doomed to fade in and out of existence, reappearing at locations distant from that of its disappearance.
A Strange Amulet is found when investigating the recent murders in Windhelm during the quest Blood on the Ice in Hjerim, the home of Friga Shatter-Shield. When speaking to Calixto Corrium about the amulet he says it is the Wheelstone, an amulet traditionally carried by court mages of the Jarl of Windhelm, and offers to buy it for 500 gold. Either talking to Wuunferth the Unliving or accusing him of being the Butcher reveals it to be the Necromancer's Amulet of legend.
- This is one of only two items in the base game that causes negative effects on the player, the other being the Ring of Hircine prior to the completion of the quest Ill Met By Moonlight. Dragonborn adds three more, Ahzidal's Gauntlets of Warding, Ahzidal's Helm of Vision, and Ring of Bloodlust.
- Wuunferth describes it as an exquisite eight-sided amulet with a jade skull emblazoned upon it. While it has a jade skull, it does not appear to have any sides, but is round. The version of the amulet that appeared in Oblivion had six sides, while those that appeared in Morrowind and Daggerfall were also round.
- The Necromancer Amulet has appeared in multiple Elder Scrolls games. Information about the history of the item can be found on the lore page.
- Selling Calixto the Strange Amulet is the only way to turn it into the Necromancer's Amulet. If you reject his offer, the strange amulet will remain a quest item, leaving it permanently assigned to your inventory.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; it replaces the Strange Amulet with the Necromancer's Amulet.
- It can be removed using the console by typing
player.removeitem 000D2328 1
- It is possible that the dialogue where Calixto offers to buy the Amulet does not appear.
- It is possible to obtain unlimited gold by pickpocketing and re-selling the Strange Amulet to Calixto.
- This bug is fixed by version 3.0.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.