|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Ask Esbern about dragon lairs.
- Meet the Blades at the given location.
- Slay the dragon.
- Return to Esbern.
This is a radiant quest and can be completed any number of times in a number of different locations. This quest only becomes available once the quests Alduin's Wall and Rebuilding the Blades are complete. If the quest Paarthurnax is active this quest cannot be received until it is completed.
In Sky Haven Temple, talk to Esbern to see if he has discovered the location of a dragon's lair. If he has, he'll tell you that his research has uncovered a location, and will offer to send the Blades to meet you there. If you accept, the quest begins: a location is marked on the your map, and an entry is added to the Miscellaneous quests to "Kill the Dragon in <location>".
Travel to the given location. The Blades recruited during Rebuilding the Blades will be waiting nearby. Once you arrive they will charge the lair, attacking the dragon. If you attack the dragon without having triggered the charge of the Blades, the attack will trigger the charge. Once the dragon is slain, the Blades will return to Sky Haven Temple, leaving you to loot the dragon and collect any nearby treasure.
Return to Sky Haven Temple and tell Esbern the dragon is slain. This will end the quest but it is possible to repeat the quest if desired.
- This can be a useful tool for finding some word walls if Arngeir will no longer provide the information after killing Paarthurnax.
- If you want to force Esbern to give you a different dragon lair (perhaps you are looking for one whose word wall you have not yet read), then you have to reload a save from before entering the Sky Haven Temple. A save just outside Sky Haven Temple in the Karthspire, in the area where the fast-travel destination for Sky Haven Temple is, will do.
- Blades who do not live at Sky Haven Temple will not appear to help you fight the dragon. This includes Blades whom you have married and moved to one of your homes, and Blades whom you have made a stewardHF of a Hearthfire house. However, after you kill the dragon, they may sometimes move to Sky Haven Temple. They will eventually return to their proper homes.
- Killing a dragon (in particular, if you've begun Rebuilding the Blades but have not started this quest yet) may sometimes add the "Return to Esbern" task to your quest log, but Esbern will not complete the quest for you.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- You can use the console to finish the quest by entering
setStage FreeformSkyHavenTempleB 100.
- Sometimes, upon starting the quest, the quest marker will show that the dragon is in a different, unreachable location.
- Sometimes Esbern won't give you a dragon to hunt.
|Dragon Hunting (FreeformSkyHavenTempleB)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Kill the Dragon in <Alias=DragonLair>
Objective 20: Return to Esbern
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 5, 15, 25, 100.