When he was younger, his wife died from a consuming plague. Mercano wrote a journal detailing his attempts to save her and raise her from the dead. The Veiled Heritance later used these notes, without his knowledge or consent, to raise liches.
- The Misuses of Knowledge: Deliver notes about undead to their author.
Before the quest:
- "I've served the Thalmor for almost twenty years now, as an advisor in the matter of healing arts."
During the quest:
- I found your notes. The Veiled Heritance was using them to create liches.
- "The Veiled Heritance were using my notes? No. What have I done?
I was young and foolish when I wrote these notes. I just wanted to save my wife from a consuming plague. I should've destroyed them then. I will destroy them now. Thank you."
After the quest:
- "Thank you for returning my journal to me. It pains me to think that it ended up in the wrong hands."
- His journal is on a bench near him.