Daggerfall:A Special Mixture
- Talk to the beldam of a witch coven.
- Take the potion to a nearby town.
- Beware of the creatures that want to take the potion from you.
- Deliver the potion to the Mages Guild within the time limit for your reward.
The Cure for What Ails
Speak to the beldam, who says:
- "(Witch coven) have been contacted by the Mages Guild and asked about a special potion, a very sacred formula much desired in (region). They would be willing to pay (random gold) gold pieces for it, which would be yours. All we want is the regard of the Mages Guild. The journey will not be an easy one. Are you interested?"
The beldam goes on:
- "Very good, (player's first name). Here is the potion. Now, you should be safe during the day, for those who want it strictly travel by night. They are expecting the potion at the Mages Guild of (town) in (time limit) days or less, so tarry not. Ask for a mage by the name of (mage's name)."
The beldam answers:
- "I understand. I'm disappointed, but I understand."
Children of the Night
This is a very special potion indeed; although it only appears as "Pure water" in your inventory, the potion is a universal remedy which cures both lycanthropy and vampirism. You can use the mixture to cure your own afflictions, and the potion does not get used up if you do so. However, even the small amount you sample has an effect as you receive the message: You feel strange.
Until you deliver the potion, every being that wants it will be after you. You will be safe during daytime, but as soon as night falls you will be hunted mercilessly by lycanthropes and vampires unless you are in fast-travel mode. They will chase you the whole night until dawn, from 17:21 to 06:39. This means you can neither rest nor enter fast-travel mode as long as they are after you; you can only fight them or run. Since they come in great numbers, fighting is a rather tiresome affair. There can be a maximum of seven vampires, ten wereboars and twelve werewolves altogether. However, if you start the quest during daytime, and travel cautiously to your destination, you can avoid your pursuers completely as you will also arrive during the daytime.
When the very first night falls three messages pop up, one from each of the three following groups, at random: Vampires:
- A voice gritty with the dirt of the grave hisses, "You! That potion belongs to us!"
- "Give me the potion," somebody snarls. "It doesn't belong to you!"
- You hear someone howl an unnatural, savage cry of desire. "The potion! The potion!"
- The howl of a wolf sounds out.
- You hear something snarl a piteous cry of yearning.
- The cry of a wolf pierces the night. It is not a howl of hunger, but of yearning.
- The high-pitched shriek of a boar pierces the night.
- You hear the guttural snarl of a boar, its timbre shaking in desperation.
- The still night suddenly breaks with the high-pitched snarl of an angry boar.
Head for the specified town, and locate and enter the Mages Guild. Find the mage who ordered the mixture to complete your quest.
Speak to your contact to hand the potion over. If you did nothing with the mixture, the mage says:
- "Ah, a most rare and wondrous formula. Here are your (random gold) gold pieces. A bargain price for this potion."
However, if you sampled the potion (whether or not you were afflicted with either lycanthropy or vampirism) the mage will immediately detect something is wrong:
- "What's this? The formula has been desecrated! I am disappointed that you cannot do this one simple thing for me."
You will not get a reward in this case, and will fail the quest.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
Daily from 17:21 to 06:39 until the quest is over:
- 7x One Vampire every fifteen in-game minutes (70% chance)
- 10x One Wereboar every eleven in-game minutes (40% chance)
- 12x One Werewolf nineteen in-game minutes (50% chance)
- In the quest that comes with the original game, your contact at the Mages Guild will be undiscoverable and this will prevent you from completing the quest successfully. This error was probably corrected by one of the later official patches, but a fixed version is only confirmed for patch 1.07.213.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The peace between the Mages Guild and (witch coven) is surprising."
- "It won't last, this peace between the mages and the witches."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Witch coven) went back on an agreement with the Mages Guild."
- "The Mages Guild is cutting off relations with (witch coven)."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The potion (witch coven) gave the Mages Guild cures vampirism!"
- "The potion (witch coven) gave the Mages Guild cures lycanthropy!"
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "The Mages Guild tells us the transaction went through. Thank you, (player's first name)."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "We have been working to strengthen relations with the Mages Guild, but thou hast destroyed all by failing to deliver that potion, (player's first name). Get thee from my sight. I cannot stand to look on thee."
|A Special Mixture (q0c00y04)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Witch coven) has sent me to the Mages Guild of (town) with a mysterious potion. I am to look out at nighttime for those who might want the potion. The name of the mage who will pay me (random gold) gold pieces for the potion is (mage's name). I have (time limit) days to accomplish this delivery.|