I'd really like to start a lore page on drugs/psychoactives in TES world.
Somebody help me out? 09:21, 28 December 2009 (UTC)09:21, 28 December 2009 (UTC)09:21, 28 December 2009 (UTC)09:21, 28 December 2009 (UTC)Teotzlcoatl 09:21, 28 December 2009 (UTC)
I also want to talk about the ancient gods predating the daedra and aedra.
Jyggalag, Sithis, Padomay, Anu, etc
Sithis is the oppisite of Jyggalag.
Padomay is the oppisite of Anu.
Sithis (Dadric) = Chaos, Void/Nothingness,
Jyggalag (Aedric) = Order, Matter/Substance,
Padomay (Dadric) = Chaos, Void/Nothingness,
Anu (Aedric) = Order, Matter/Substance,
Psychoactives/Drugs Article Proposal
I've noticed your many suggestions all over the site for a Psychoactives / Drugs article. I'd suggest coming up with a sandbox of your idea, sort of a "demo". You can make a sandbox of your own at any time simply by making a link to it. Here's your first sandbox to start you off: User:Teotzlcoatl/Sandbox/1.
The main issue I see with an article focusing on "drugs" is that the effects of these items can be found in other things that are not considered drugs. It's not an entirely bad idea, however, so let's see what you can come up with. --GKTalk2me 04:49, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- If you had no idea what you were doing you could have asked Guild Knight, the person who created the sandbox for you. Basically, a sandbox is something you can edit freely without worrying about mistakes. The sandbox GK made you is a user sandbox where only you can edit (unless you give permission to others to edit it). Sandboxes are useful for practicing or working on UESP projects. What GK was trying to say was you should create a sample page on your sandbox before creating a Lore page. That way you can edit without readers taking it seriously. Instead of making lore pages for your ideas, make sandboxes intsead. If you need additional help, check the Help:Contents section, or ask a user on the UESPWiki:Mentor Program page. They will help you if you any questions or need help editing. -- Jplatinum16 20:20, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- The idea behind a sandbox is to get the page wiki-ready before it's in the "encyclopedia" space. I've moved it back into your sandbox, where you're free to take your time and get the page how you would like it. When you think it's ready, ask for some feedback, and then it can be moved into an actual article when it's ready. --GKTalk2me 22:39, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- In addition to those suggestions (which I endorse whole-heartedly), may I suggest you pick a better title for your "Psychoactives" article and - preferably - split it into at least two separate articles?
- I'd suggest one article on "Beverages", or "Drink", or some such title in which you could look at the regional and social taste for alcohol. There's a huge amount of information on this from dialogue in Morrowind on Mazte, Flin etc and in Oblivion on the various types of wine. The other article would be on the more illicit drugs such as Moon Sugar and Skooma, and there's lots of information here too from various sources up to and including The Infernal City. Trying to lump everything into one article is never going to work - it would be like trying to create a Wikipedia article that included both Heroin and Aspirin - technically possible but unrealistic.
- Any page like this would need to be backed up with references from the games and be decorated with links back into the game pages and to other Lore pages. To revisit Jplatinum16's comments - your best bet is to start something in a sandbox and then ask a mentor for advice on how to proceed. Exactly the same advice applies to your proposed Ancient Gods page.
- Finally, please don't be discouraged about what will probably look like a dog-pile on a n00b trying to write some new articles. You should notice that nobody is telling you that your ideas are bad - only that you need to spend a little more time learning about what makes a good UESP article. Ambition is good; overreaching is good. Put some of your ideas in a sandbox and let people know that it's there so they can help you and before long there will be two, three or even more high-quality new articles to benefit the wiki. –rpeh•T•C•E• 22:52, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- As somebody who has studied psychoactives in the real world I'd like to bring that perspective to TES world.
- So I'd really like to leave it whole under psychoactives, alcohol is just as much of a drug as anything and moon sugar isn't illicit in parts of the Empire.
- Your perspective is valued; however, we have to be careful that it doesn't translate into the lore articles; they should be written from a game perspective, and should also be useful to the average reader. A person looking for an "alcoholic" beverage on the wiki likely isn't interested in "drugs", and vice-versa. You're free to create whatever type of article you like in your sandbox; we're only trying to guide you in the layout/formatting and help you figure out what will become long-lasting, helpful articles. Please feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
- By the way, a single conversation on a wiki talk page is kept in a section under a title, with each person's comments indented to a different degree, like this conversation; it helps to be able to link to the section when referencing a conversation. --GKTalk2me 23:10, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
- I almost take the point about Moon Sugar, but I would also point you to p186 of The Infernal City where an Altmer tells Prince Attrebus that "the price [of Moon Sugar] is fixed by the office of the potentate" and that there are restrictions on its sale (up to and including death). In other words, even without direct Imperial interference, the provinces see fit to regulate the sale of sugar. That's in Elsweyr, the place where the sugar is least regulated.
- Whatever the similarity of effect between different types of mind-altering substances, there are huge differences in the social effects of such substances - and that's true on both Nirn and Earth. I can (accurately) say that I'm supping some beer while typing this and few people will think any the worse of me. If I stated that I was high from heroin, there would be a huge difference.
- Right or wrong, that's just the way it is and I think there should be two articles to reflect the dichotomy. –rpeh•T•C•E• 23:21, 30 December 2009 (UTC)
We also need a creation myths page!
We need an Elder Scrolls creation myth page!
im just gonna add what i think needs to be there and y'all can edit it and change it if you want
i am one of the few people who understands the importance of psychoactives in all cultures (even made up ones like TES) most often my perspective is not appreciated by others. It often amazes me how many myths there are about psychoactives, even by intelligent people.