The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995
|Location||Cave of Broken Sails|
- Forever Bound: Free an Imperial spirit from his own binding ritual.
- "I do beg your pardon, but would you happen to be amongst the living? Everything is so hazy.
Oh, I'm talking to another corpse, aren't I? Damn my ghostly eyes!"
- No, I'm alive.
- "Oh, thank the stars! I've been trapped in this dank catacomb for countless years. I'm bound here by a powerful necromantic ritual, and I'd rather that weren't the case."
- What kind of ritual?
- "Oh, a simple ritual designed to keep this facility staffed with undead for hundreds of years.
But Imperial mages decided to meddle, and it cost us our lives. I can end it, but I haven't been able to find their skulls. Residual foci, of course."
- I'll get you the skulls, but how do you know so much about the ritual?
- "Well, it was my ritual.
Three Imperial mages hired me to turn condemned prisoners into an undead force—the Empire frowned on necromancy, you see. But when it came time to perform the ritual, they locked me in with the prisoners!"
(After obtaining the three skulls):
- "It's you again, isn't it? Do you have the skulls?
Blast, am I talking to a corpse again?"
- No, it's me. I'm still alive.
If you simply hand me the skulls, I'll be able to reverse the effects of the preservation ritual."
- How do I hand skulls to a ghost?
- "Oh, my. I keep forgetting. You're the one who seems ghostly to me, you see.
You'll need to do this, then. If you enter the Preserveration Room you'll find their spirits locked into an echo of their final moments. Reuniting skull with spirit should do it."
- Where is the Preservation Room?
- "Can't you see it? I … oh, right, the walls.
There's a lever around here that opens a secret passage. I don't remember where it is or I'd help you find it. I haven't needed to worry about walls in quite some time."
- I'll find the lever.
After stopping the ritual:
- "Those fools thought they were necromancers. But in their ignorance, they killed and raised everyone inside this facility—not just those condemned to die. If this place wasn't so well hidden, its effects could've spread to Grahtwood itself."
- What will you do now?
- "I don't know. With that ritual ended, the undead in this facility should slowly fade with time. As for myself, well … I suppose I could approach the Mages Guild, see if my services could be of use.
I'm sure I'll figure something out."