- Talk to Princess Elysana at Castle Wayrest.
- Get a robe from her.
- Deliver it to Lord Castellian in his cottage.
- Return to Elysana within the time limit and collect your reward.
The Princess' Request
- "Hello, (player's first name). I am Elysana, King Eadwyre's child and heir apparent to Wayrest. Perhaps you could help me out of a bit of an embarrassing predicament. The senior member of the elder council, my father's good friend Lord Castellian, has left court on holiday and I forgot to return a cloak I borrowed from him. If it isn't too much of a bore to you, would you mind bringing it to him in (town)? I could offer you a lovely (jewelry) as payment.
- "How frightfully nice of you to help a silly girl like myself. Here's the robe. Now, it's very important that milord Castellian has the robe soon. He is at one of his houses, (residence) in (town). Lord Castellian shouldn't be too hard to find, just ask around for him or for (residence) and give him the robe. I do really appreciate this, (player's first name). It really shouldn't take you longer than (time limit) days to get to (town) and back, so I'll see you then."
- "No? Oh, (oath)."
Locating Lord Castellian
With the robe now in your possession, make your way to the town where Lord Castellian is on retreat. Ask around to locate his residence, and enter it. Find the nobleman and speak to him to deliver the robe, and hear something strange along with his reply:
- "A gift from Lady Elysana. Thank you, (player's name). It fits me like a glove."
- You feel a tearing sound, as if the fabric of reality were being ripped open.
The source of the strange noise becomes apparent as Lord Castellian is set upon by up to three Daedra Seducers, who have no problem going through you to get to him. When one is hit for the first time, she says:
- "Leave this place (player's race). We have come to claim Lord Castellian. You have done your part by delivering his funeral shroud which summoned us."
You can fight them off if you wish, but you ultimately cannot prevent the death of the lord. At this point, your task is complete. All that remains is to return to Elysana. However, you will be pursued by legions of Castellian's knights and spellswords, furious at you for your part in their patron's grisly demise. When hit, the first of these will shout one of:
- "Death to the traitor that Lord Castellian!"
- "You shall pay for killing my liege lord."
- "Assassin! Lord Castellian was the best of men. You shall die for what you did."
Fight or flee, and return to Castle Wayrest.
(Optional) Wearing the Robe
So long as you have not yet delivered it, you are free to try on the robe. However, it means that you will be immediately set upon by a trio of Daedra Seducers, who when hit will say:
- "Fool! Some enterprising soul has given you a robe that summoned me to slay you. How delicious!"
The robe will vanish if you slay all three Seducers, presumably returning to Oblivion with them. This makes the quest impossible to complete, as you now have nothing to bring to Lord Castellian. However, so long as one of the Daedra Seducers remains alive, you can proceed with the quest and deliver the robe to Lord Castellian as normal, though you will have to deal with three more Seducers once he puts on the robe.
Return to Castle Wayrest and speak to Elysana, who greets you by saying:
- "Oh, how marvelous you are. Here, let me give you the (jewelry) I promised you. I hope Lord Castellian appreciates the extra work I put into the robe. It is a real attention getter now. Let me give you something more than the (jewelry), (player's first name). My father is very interested in a certain ancient relic called the Totem of Tiber Septim. He has spies all over the place looking for it. When they find it, my father will need someone to secure it. Obviously, whoever he chooses will be fabulously well rewarded. I'll give him your name. That is the least I can do."
If you successfully deliver the robe to Lord Castellian, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- 3x One Daedra Seducer every one in-game minute (50% chance) if you give the robe to Lord Castellian
- 4x Two Knights every two in-game minutes (50% chance) as soon as Lord Castellian is attacked by the Daedra Seducers
- 20x Two Spellswords every fifty-three in-game minutes (15% chance) after Lord Castellian was killed by the Daedra Seducers
- 3x One Daedra Seducer every one in-game minute (20% chance) if you use the robe
- Important: If you do this quest before Blackmailing Prince Helseth, Helseth won't offer you his quest because Lord Castellian—the victim of Helseth's plot—dies at the end of this one. Hence, Queen Barenziah won't offer you her quest, because that one depends on a successful outcome of Helseth's quest.
- Important: Don't embark on this quest if Helseth's quest is still active, or you won't be given the chance to do Barenziah's quest, which is triggered from within Helseth's quest. You can see if Helseth's quest is still active when you use your dialog menu. As long as Lord Castellian is a topic in your dialog menu, Helseth's quest is still running. The quest will end as soon as you meet the conditions to start Barenziah's quest. See the related article on Barenziah's Book to learn these conditions.
- If you wear the robe Elysana gives you, it will disappear and the quest will end. Aside from the fact that you can't complete your mission and thus won't get any reward from Elysana, this has no influence on the remaining parts of the Main Quest as this quest is completely optional.
- Once you have completed the Orcish Treaty quest, Elysana will no longer offer this one.
- This quest does not progress the main plot, other than to mention that the Totem exists and King Eadwyre is anxious to get it. However, it serves to reveal Princess Elysana as someone not to be trusted. Later on, she offers you another quest that turns out to be a trap.
- As soon as you deliver the robe, Lord Castellian is presumed "dead" for story purposes, as this triggers the appearance of his vengeance-seeking soldiers. However, his flat remains behind after this occurs, and you can freely engage him in conversation. He will vanish once the quest ends.
- DFQFIX addresses this inconsistency; the character's flat is immediately removed once you speak to him and is replaced with a corpse.
If you ask an NPC about the Formal cloak, they may say:
- "Beautiful robes. Nothing particularly unusual about them."
- "Excellent craftsmanship. Someone put a lot of heart into the embroidery."
If you ask an NPC about Lord Castellian, you may be told:
- "Lord Castellian is the most powerful council member of Wayrest."
- "They say that Princess Elysana has little love for Lord Castellian."
- "Lord Castellian makes no secret of his desire to wed Princess Elysana."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Lord Castellian is backing legislation which will make Helseth heir apparent."
- "Princess Elysana is out of favor with the senior member of the elder council."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Lord Castellian returned to Castle Wayrest from (residence). Holiday's over."
- "Princess Elysana does not look happy to see Lord Castellian back from holiday."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Lord Castellian has disappeared from (residence) where he was on holiday."
- "King Eadwyre is suspecting foul play in the disappearance of Lord Castellian."
|Elysana's Robe (S0000006)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): Princess Elysana has asked me to bring a robe to the elder member of the Wayrest Elder Council, Lord Castellian at his manor in (town), (residence). I need to be back at Castle Wayrest in (time limit) days.|
|Prev: None||Up: Main Quest||Next: None|