Successful Pick Pocket: +2.0
Avoid Notice: +0.25
The Sneak discipline is the art of moving unseen and unheard. Skilled sneaks are also adept pickpockets. Note that the skill does not improve simply from use and having the "sneak icon" on the screen. Despite the icon display, the skill only improves when within the detection range of a creature where they would notice the player. Sneak is a very useful skill, as it allows for critical hits.
The following races receive bonuses to their Sneak skill:
The following classes have Sneak as a Major skill:
The following classes have Sneak as a Minor skill:
See Sneak Trainers for the complete list.
The following books will increase your Sneak skill:
The following factions include Sneak as one of their favored skills:
- Berne Clan
- Camonna Tong (not joinable)
- Census and Excise (not joinable)
- Morag Tong
- Thieves Guild
- Twin Lamps
While Sneaking, a Sneak Check is performed periodically - once every couple of seconds for targets not in combat, to every few frames for targets that are actively looking for you. The chance that you can successfully remain hidden can be generalized as
(Player's Elusiveness - Target's Spot Chance)%.
The Player's Elusiveness is equal to
(Sneak + Agility/5 + Luck/10) * (0.5 + Distance to Target/500) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue) + Chameleon Magnitude
Distance to target can be determined via the GetDistance Console function (bring up the console, click on the target, and type
The target's chance to spot the player while they are Sneaking is equal to
(Sneak + Agility/5 + Luck/10 - Blind Magnitude) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue) * Direction Multiplier
The Direction Multiplier is equal to 1.5 while the player is on either side or in front of the target, and equal to 0.5 while behind the target
- Your Sneak skill level has the largest direct effect on your pickpocket success chance, and the more valuable an item the harder it is to steal. However, even at 100 Sneak, pickpocketing high-value items is nearly impossible. One easy way around this is to enchant a few items with Fortify Sneak 100 on self for a few seconds. You can then quickly use the items to boost your Sneak skill by a few hundred points, and easily pickpocket even the most expensive items before the boost wears off.
- An exploit for auto-raising Sneak skill: Hold the Sneak key pressed with some small and heavy object, such as a hammer (you may wish to change the assigned key if you find it more convenient). Leave the game alone for a while and the Sneak skill will keep increasing, as long as one or more NPCs are within observation range. On the Xbox, you can simply double click the joystick down to enter an always-Sneak mode to get the same effect. The Morrowind Code Patch project also allows the Sneak mode to be toggled. This trick will only work if NPCs or creatures are within visual range to detect you, such as in a room full of people, or a busy area with walking NPCs.
- A less cheaty method is to Sneak up on animals outside of town. This can be dangerous since they will usually attack you if you fail. Sneaking up on Scribs is safe. Fortified Luck and/or Agility can make this technique very effective – it can increase your Sneak by 2 or 3 points if your Sneak skill is quite low.
- The Chameleon effect will help hide you while sneaking. This is best done by stacking items, spells, and potions to get well over 100 points of Chameleon.
- If you have a low Sneak ability and you want to raise it, you can search for a shop or another building with only one NPC. A prime example of this is Sellus Gravius in the Census and Excise Office. Find a position such that while you are in Sneak mode, sometimes the NPC will look over their shoulder if you Sneak behind them. Approach the NPC and wait for them to face you. The NPC will rotate to face you for a few seconds as you move around them. Rotate them away from your Sneak position.[verification needed — see ]
- Pickpocketing doesn't take your stats into consideration properly, making successful pickpocketing extremely difficult regardless of your Sneak Skill.
- This bug is fixed by the Morrowind Code Patch.