Successful Pick Pocket: +2.0
Avoid Notice: +0.25
The Sneak discipline is the art of moving unseen and unheard. Skilled sneaks are also adept pickpockets. Note that the skill does not improve simply from use and having the "sneak icon" on the screen. Despite the icon display, the skill only improves when within the detection range of a creature where they would notice the player. Sneak is a very useful skill, as it allows for critical hits.
The following races receive bonuses to their Sneak skill:
The following classes have Sneak as a Major skill:
The following classes have Sneak as a Minor skill:
See Sneak Trainers for the complete list.
The following factions include Sneak as one of their favored skills:
While Sneaking, a Sneak Check is performed periodically - once every couple seconds for targets not in combat, to every few frames for targets that are actively looking for you. The chance that you can successfully remain hidden can be generalized as
(Player's Elusiveness - Target's Spot Chance)%.
The Player's Elusiveness is equal to
(Sneak + Agility/5 + Luck/10) * (0.5 + Distance to Target/500) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue) + Chameleon Magnitude
Distance to target can be determined via the GetDistance Console function (bring up the console, click on the target, and type
The target's chance to spot the player while they are Sneaking is equal to
(Sneak + Agility/5 + Luck/10 - Blind Magnitude) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue/Maximum Fatigue) * Direction Multiplier
The Direction Multiplier is equal to 1.5 while the player is on either side or in front of the target, and equal to 0.5 while behind the target
- If you have a low Sneak ability and you want to raise it, you can search for a shop or another building with only one NPC. A prime example of this is Sellus Gravius in the Census and Excise Office. Find a position while you are in sneak mode, sometimes the NPC will look over their shoulder if you sneak behind them. Approach the NPC and wait for them to face you. The NPC will rotate to face you for a few seconds as you move around them. Rotate them away from your sneak position.
- Holding the sneak button pressed with some little and heavy object, e.g a hammer (you may wish to change the assigned key if you find it more convenient). Leave the game alone for a while and the Sneak skill will keep increasing. On the Xbox, you can simply double click the joy stick down to enter an "always sneak" mode to get the same effect. The Morrowind Code Patch project also allows the Sneak mode to be toggled.
- A more effective method is to sneak up on animals outside of town. This can be dangerous as, if you fail, they may attack you. Sneaking up on scribs is safe. Potion-boosted luck or agility can make this technique very effective and can result in two- or three-point increases in your sneak ability, especially if your sneak skill is quite low.
- If you're good enough at the Illusion magic school, you can cast a chameleon spell to help to hide yourself.
- Pickpocketing doesn't take your stats into consideration properly, making successful pickpocketing extremely difficult regardless of your Sneak Skill.
- This bug is fixed by the Morrowind Code Patch.