If this is the first time you have played, or you choose to start a new character, you must go through the character creation process.
A short video plays of Hadvar speaking, and you hear:
- "Hey, you. You're finally awake. Who are you?"
You are given several different character types to choose from. This will determine the special bonus you get, as well as your character's starting skills. Skills start off at 15, and are modified by the character type you select.
|Character||Bonus||Character Selection Message||Fists Base Damage||Smithing||Armors||Block||Melee||Archery||Sneak||Lockpicking||Magic|
|Human Mage||Human Bonus Choice||"You picked a bad time to come home to Skyrim."||2||-||-||-||-||-||+5||+5||+10|
|Human Knight||Human Bonus Choice||"You picked a bad time to come home to Skyrim."||2||+5||+5||+5||+5||-||-||-||-|
|Elf Mage||Elf Bonus Choice||"Not many elves would choose to come alone to Skyrim."||2||-||-||+5||-||-||+5||-||+10|
|Elf Archer||Elf Bonus Choice||"Not many elves would choose to come alone to Skyrim."||2||-||+5||-||-||+10||+5||-||-|
|Argonian||+10% Health Regeneration||"Are you a relative of one of the Riften dock workers, Argonian?"||2+2 (Claws)||-||+5||-||-||-||+5||+10||-|
|Khajiit||+10% Stamina Regeneration||"You with one of the trade caravans, Khajiit? Your kind always seems to find trouble."||2+2 (Claws)||-||-||-||+5||-||+10||+5||-|
|Orc||+10% Melee Damage||"You from one of the strongholds, Orc? How did you end up here?"||2||-||+10||-||+10||-||-||-||-|
- Humans get to choose one of the following bonuses: +10% Physical Resistance, +10% Magic Resistance, Find 10% More Gold
- Elves get to choose one of the following bonuses: +10% Magicka Regeneration, +50 Magicka Points, +10% Magic Resistance
After you create your character and launch your first ball, the game immediately begins with Main Quest #1: Unbound.
- Health, Magicka, Stamina all start at 100 by default.
- All skills start at 15 by default.
- Health recovers at 0.7/s by default and 0.49/s in battle.
- Magicka recovers at 3/s by default and 0.99/s in battle.
- Stamina recovers at 4/s by default and 1.25/s in battle.
- Your character begins at Level 1. After a certain number of skill level increases, your character level will go up. You get to choose to add 10 points to either Health, Magicka, or Stamina. It takes 3 skill levels per character level to start, +1 per 10 character levels.
- Your Weight Limit is calculated with 250 + (Stamina / 2). As you start with 100 Stamina, this gives an initial limit of 300. It increases by 5 every time you select Stamina upon leveling.