Daggerfall: The Cure
- Talk to a merchant or innkeeper.
- Head to the town your employer points you to.
- Speak to the cousin to learn of a cure and its location.
- Head to the town the cousin points you to.
- Find the healer there and buy the talisman.
- Return the talisman to the cousin to collect your reward.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
A Fatal Ailment
Speak to a merchant, who greets you with one of:
- "Excuse me, are you a doctor or have any healing abilities? I really need someone that can heal my cousin."
- "My cousin is dying! Can you help me?"
The merchant continues:
- "Thank you, thank you! My name is (employer's name). I recently received word that my cousin (cousin's name) of (cousin's town) is deathly ill and will probably die in (time limit) days! Whatever you can do to cure (him/her) will be greatly appreciated. Here is (random starting gold) gold. I will pay you (random gold) gold more if you can heal (him/her)."
The merchant answers:
- "Damn. I could have used some help."
- "Just my luck. Thanks anyway."
- "I'm sorry to bother you then."
A Most Unfortunate Case
Upon accepting the quest, your employer will give you a small advance payment. Travel to the cousin's town and ask around until someone points you to a residence. Enter this house and talk to the patient, who will say:
- "I feel so weak. I don't know what is wrong with me. My cousin, (employer's name) sent you to help me? Oh, thank you, thank you! I have just heard of a healer named (healer's name) in (healer's town) who may be able to help me. Please go to (him/her), and bring me the cure, before it is too late!"
After talking to the cousin, you will become infected by a random disease, so you may wish to get yourself cured before you go on with the quest; a visit to a local temple, a Cure Disease spell, or a potion can be used to rid yourself of the ailment. Travel to the next town and find the healer, an alchemist, by asking around. Speak to the healer, who will say:
- "Hello there. Yes, I have heard of (cousin's name) of (cousin's town) and (his/her) problem. Wizard Bane it is. I should know. Anyway, I do have a special Talisman that will cure it. It can only be used once though. I'll sell it to you for 20 gold. Here you go. Thank you very much."
Note: you must have 20 gold pieces in your inventory, the healer will not accept letters of credit. The healer will speak to you again when you have the gold. With the talisman in your possession, head back to the cousin to administer the cure. Be careful not to use the talisman, as its power will be expended upon you before the item vanishes.
Return with the talisman and the merchant's sickly cousin will give you your reward and say:
- "Oh, you've brought me the healing Talisman! Thank you, (player's name). Here is the rest of the gold that my cousin promised you. I really can't thank you enough. I hope the rest of your travels are safe for you."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||+2|
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||-1|
- The small advance you get from the quest giver goes directly into your inventory and is not given to you via a menu screen. To pick up the gold, you must drop it on the ground or a wagon, and then pick it up again.
- The reward from this quest is negligible, and when the cost of curing your own disease is factored in, it is actually possible to lose money from this quest. It is therefore advised that you refrain from undertaking this quest unless your character is immune to diseases or has access to a free cure.
If you ask an NPC about your employer's cousin, you may be told:
- "I heard about (his/her) disease. So far none of the local healers has found a cure."
- "I did hear something of (him/her). Something about a mysterious, fatal illness. Very sad."
- "Yes, I know the story. Sounds like Wizard Bane to me."
- "No one knows what's wrong with (him/her), but they say (he/she) has only days to live."
- "A most unfortunate case. No one knows what's wrong with (him/her). You might try a healer named (healer's name), who is said to have an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure diseases."
- "Oh, yes, the one with the wasting fever."
If you ask an NPC about the healer, you may hear:
- "They say (healer's name) specializes in the most obscure diseases."
- "(Healer's name)? Lives in (healer's town), I believe."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "It's too bad about (employer's name)'s cousin. I hear it's a fatal ailment."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Cousin's name) of (cousin's town) died of Wizard Bane. I hear the plague might break out there now."
- "(Employer's name) is overwrought with grief. (His/Her) cousin in (cousin's town) died recently."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Did you hear? There's been a miracle cure in (cousin's town)!"
- "(Employer's name) has donated a large sum of gold to the temple. I hear (his/her) cousin was cured miraculously."
- "Aren't you the (player's race) that cured that poor person in (cousin's town)?"
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Bless you (player's first name). I will never forget what you did for (cousin's name) and I. (He/She) has fully recovered from the Wizard Bane."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "(Player's name)! You foul the very air with your breath. My cousin died because of you. Out! Out! Out!"
|The Cure (a0c00y11)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Employer's name) of (town) has paid me to heal (his/her) cousin, (cousin's name) of (cousin's town). (He/She) will most likely die in (time limit) days. I will receive another (random gold) gold when I have saved (him/her).|
|1||(Date): I have seen (cousin's name). (His/Her) condition is even worse than (employer's name) said. (Cousin's name) says that (healer's name) in (healer's town) might have a cure.|
|2||(Date): I have bought a Talisman from (healer's name) of (healer's town) that cures Wizard Fever, the disease that is afflicting (cousin's name).|