- Summon Boethiah on the 2nd of Sun's Dusk.
- Head to the dungeon named by Boethiah.
- Find and kill the spellsword within.
- Travel to the town named by Boethiah.
- Meet her worshipper there within the time limit and receive Ebony Mail.
Boethiah speaks to you:
- "Power, hah! Would a Mundus-crawling (player's race) know what to do with real power? You mean you want to be able to bully a few other mortals around, don't you? Well that can be arranged. I want you to show me you have the mettle to actually use what I give you. Will you kill someone for it?"
Boethiah goes on:
- "Well, that's a start in the right direction, anyhow. The spellsword I have in mind for you to butcher for power is (spellsword's name), a perfectly charming and charitable ass who's been annoying the hell out me for years. You will find (him/her) at (his/her) fortress, a place called (dungeon). Now, don't think that just because (spellsword's name) is a precious toff, (he/she) doesn't know how to fight. I want to make you work a little for this gift. After the murder, go meet (worshipper's name) my agent in (town). Just look for a (worshipper's description) hanging out at (building). And don't keep (him/her) waiting. I'll tell (him/her) you'll be there in (time limit) days. That ought to be plenty of time. I'll be watching."
Boethiah is disgusted:
- "Pah, you make me sick. Don't summon me again, (player's first name), unless you grow up or are looking for a fight."
Show of Force
Travel to the dungeon named by Boethiah and enter it. Be aware that a second time limit activates when the quest begins, and expires some days before the overall quest time limit. If you don't kill your target before this second time limit expires, the spellsword will no longer be in the dungeon. Instead, you will find a letter lying on the ground at the spellsword's former location. The letter reads:
- (Spellsword's name):
- Get out of (dungeon) immediately!
- I have learned that Boethiah has
- arranged to have you killed. We
- can discuss your imprudent behavior
- another time, but for now you should
- go to our usual meeting place. When
- I have completed the arrangements for
- getting you out of (region), I will come
- meet you myself.
- Watch your back,
- (Friend's name)
If the spellsword eluded you, travel to the town named in the letter. Ask around to learn the location of the spellsword's friend. Head inside the building and speak to the friend, a random female character. She will say:
- "How did you get in here ... (Oath)! I knew (spellsword's name) would get me killed one day. Listen, since (he/she) doesn't value my life enough not to leave my letter lying around, (he/she) isn't worth protecting any longer. You can find (him/her) in (new dungeon). I wash my hands of (him/her) at last."
Travel to this new dungeon to find and kill the spellsword before the overall time limit expires.
No matter which dungeon you ultimately must go to, find and kill the spellsword within. You may encounter multiple enemies of the same type, but you must kill the specified quest target in order to successfully complete the quest. When the target spellsword dies, you receive a notification:
- You have kept your part of the bargain with Boethiah -- (Spellsword's name) is dead.
Once your task is complete, travel to the town where Boethiah's worshipper waits and receive your reward.
Speak to Boethiah's worshipper once the spellsword is dead and be told:
- "So, you're (player's name). Hmm, you're not as puny as Boethiah suggested. Take that as a compliment. Also, take this. Boethiah crafted this Ebony Mail. She thinks it should aid you in your search for power. She's interested in you, that's for certain. I know from her smile when she said the word 'puny."
If you successfully complete the Daedra Prince's task and receive the artifact, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
|Summoner's associated factions||+2|
If you fail the quest, you will lose reputation according to the table below.
|Summoner's associated factions||-1|
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Spellsword
- Due to a bug in NPC generation, the spellsword's name may not match his or her gender.
- Unlike most of the other Daedric quests, the option to ask NPCs about the Daedra Prince who gave you the quest is fully functional. However, Boethiah's name may display as a random NPC name.
If you ask an NPC about Boethiah, you may hear:
- "Boethiah is the Daedra Prince of Cruelty and Torture. Not a nice lady."
- "She's a Prince of Oblivion, one of the Daedric Regents, and a real killer."
If you ask an NPC about Boethiah's worshipper, you may be told:
- "(Worshipper's name) is the name of that tough-talking (worshipper's description) over at *(building)."
- "that's the name of that bully at (building), off over to the (direction)."
- "(Worshipper's name) is one of the Daedra Prince Boethiah's agents in Tamriel."
- "(Worshipper's name) is a mean-spirited bully who works for the Daedra Prince Boethiah."
If you ask an NPC about Ebony Mail, they may say:
- "Ebony Mail protects it's wearer from many kinds of harm. Fire and life draining are the two commonly known."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The next time there's a vote for mayor, I'm casting mine for (spellsword's name)."
- "What a sweet, kind, and generous person that (spellsword's name) is. A credit to (region)."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Who in Tamriel would want to assassinate (spellsword's name)? Thank (random god) (he/she)'s fine."
- "(Spellsword's name) had a run-in with an assassin. Luckily, the assassin was incompetent."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "It's a tragedy for all of (region). What monster would've killed (spellsword's name)?"
- "(Oath), I can't believe (spellsword's name)'s dead. Such a tragic, horrible waste."
|Boethiah's Quest (u0c00y00)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I have made a contract with Boethiah, for the murder of a spellsword named (spellsword's name), who lives in (his/her) fortress of (dungeon), in exchange for the artifact called Ebony Mail. I need to slay the spellsword and meet Boethiah's contact, (worshipper's name) in (building) of (town) in (time limit) days.|
|1||(Date): (Spellsword's name) eluded me in (dungeon), but I have learned that (he/she) is now hiding in (new dungeon). (He/She) will not get away a second time.|