Daggerfall:A Rare Book
- Talk to a Merchant or an Innkeeper.
- Travel to the dungeon your employer mentioned to you.
- Find and retrieve the book.
- Bring it back to your employer within the time limit.
- Collect the remainder of your reward.
Speak to a merchant or innkeeper, who says:
- "You've heard of (book title)? It is a very rare tome, almost never seen, but I have located a copy buried away in a dungeon here in (region). I will give you (upfront gold) gold pieces now and (random gold) gold once the book is in my hands. Agreed?"
- "I am looking for a very special book, one that is not available in any store, at least not for any price less than astronomical. Recently, I have heard that a copy of it has surfaced not too far from here, in a dungeon. If you will accept this quest to find this tome, I will give you (upfront gold) gold pieces now and another (random gold) gold pieces when you return. Do we have a deal then, (player's first name)?"
The Merchant or Innkeeper goes on:
- "Good. I'll give you (time limit) days to get the book out of (dungeon) and return. After that time, the (random gold) gold pieces will be forfeit. The name of the book is (book title). Good luck, (player's first name)."
The Merchant or Innkeeper answers:
- "Very well. I'll look for a different mercenary then."
Recover the Book
Receive your little upfront gold and head to the dungeon your employer mentioned. Just find the book within and retrieve it. You will get a notification when you pick up the correct one:
- You picked up (book title).
Head back to your employer to deliver the book and collect your reward.
When you return with the book, your employer says:
- "Ah, marvelous. Here's the (random gold) gold pieces I promised. Thank you very much, (player's first name)."
If you take too long and the time limit runs out, you get the following message:
- (Employer's name) will be angry. This is past the time when you were to bring (him/her) the book.
If you have recovered the book before the time limit expires, it remains in your inventory and you may do with it as you wish.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||+2|
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||-1|
- Random dungeon monsters
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I got a boil the other day ... but it healed."
- "I just had a three hour conversation about the weather."
- "The weather is pretty usual for this time of year."
- "It seems a trifle coolish in (town) for this time of year."
- "It sure is a lot warmer today than this time last year."
- "My great aunt is going to a specialist across the Bay."
- "It's always funny what time it gets dark around here."
- "We should erect a war statue around here."
- "The kids these days with their magic. (Oath), I don't know."
- "I had the weirdest dream last night."
- "I heard a great joke. (Joke)"
- "(Joke) Actually, that's a joke."
- "(Joke) Can you explain that to me?"
- "The legal system in (region) has it good points and bad ones."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Employer's name) is happy as a harpy about (his/her) new acquisition."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "What can I do for you, o (player's race) who brought me (book title)?"
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "As (book title) is lost once again, I find it in dubious taste that you are bothering me. Go get stuffed."
|A Rare Book (k0c00y08)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): (Employer's name) of (employer's building), (town) has sent me to (dungeon) in search of (book title), a very rare book. I will be given (random gold) gold pieces if I return in (time limit) days or less.|