Oblivion:Whom Gods Annoy
- Asking or listening around Leyawiin will soon enough produce the topic about Rosentia Gallenus.
- Head over to Rosentia's house to discover what's been causing such strange rumors.
- After you've been brought up-to-date by Rosentia, agree to help her with the problem.
- First you must head to the Mages Guild and seek out Alves Uvenim whom Rosentia says will know what to do.
- Upon speaking with Alves, take the Staff and your new friends and head over to Darkfathom Cave.
- Make your way to the bottom of the cave, honing your skills on any undesirables you may encounter.
- Once you've reached the hidden Shrine to Sheogorath you'll be prompted to drop the Staff and leave the curse for another adventurer.
- Head back to Rosentia's and inform her the task is complete, she rewards you with the leveled Ring of Eidolon's Edge.
It Smells Fishy, but It Ain't Sticks
Rumors in Leyawiin indicate that there are strange animal noises coming from the house of Rosentia Gallenus. Upon entering her home, you will immediately find four 'Everscamps' hissing around the house. These are really just regular scamps that don't attack or do anything else other than hiss at you and have a different name. Rosentia tells you she has bought a Daedric staff recently and that is what's causing the trouble. She translated and read the "nonsense" word written onto the staff in runes, thus summoning the Everscamps. Now she is unable to get rid of the staff or the scamps. The scamps are not harming anyone and, if attacked, are easy to kill. However, they will reappear shortly thereafter. Rosentia will then send you over to the Leyawiin Mages Guild to talk to Alves Uvenim, whom she says will be able to help her get rid of the scamps.
Daedric Prince of Irritability
Alves tells you that someone needs to take the Staff to the bottom of Darkfathom Cave and leave it at an altar. Easy enough — except that the Staff has a nasty little enchantment that slows you way down (by 20 points— not to mention being trailed by four Everscamps). So get some Potions to bump your speed. Otherwise the fights in the cave will be very difficult. Head to the cave, located to the immediate east of the city. Once inside, proceed with caution, and take out any enemies encountered. Be warned that the scamps can get quite annoying by blocking your way and also lowering your framerate. At the end of the cave you will find a large altar to Sheogorath that has been long forgotten by the ages. At this point you will get a message stating that you are no longer compelled to hold onto the staff. Approach the altar, bring up your inventory and drop the staff. A message will come up saying that you have finished the quest. Return to Rosentia's house and she will thank you and reward you with the Ring of Eidolon's Edge. This is a ring that grants a level dependent constant bonus to both blade and block.
A Slightly Easier Method
When Rosentia asks whether you are ready to undertake the task, say "Not yet." Go to Darkfathom Cave and kill all the critters in it. Travel back to town and tell Rosentia that you are now ready to get rid of the Staff for her. Then travel back to Darkfathom, stroll through the empty cave, and drop the staff near the altar to Sheogorath. However, if you wait more than three days before returning to the cave all the creatures will respawn and you will have to kill them again.
Another option is to just sneak your way through the cave, drop the staff and sneak out again (provided you have the skill/gear needed to stay undetected). The presence of the scamps exacerbates the difficulty of this option, as they will follow you regardless of sneaking and may provoke fights with the other denizens of the cave.
- At any time when Rosentia is surrounded by scamps you can just walk up and pick the second level door in her house. From there you can steal a steel bow, claymore, and mace, and possibly additional random and level-dependent items.
- Details of the staff, including several exploits associated with it, are described on the staff's article.
- To be able to drop the staff, you only need to progress the quest to stage 60, afterwards you can leave the caves and freely drop or pick up the staff as you please. The Everscamps will continue following you until you kill them. At which point they will go back to the staff. This can be considerably useful as you can decide when to use the scamps to train and afterwards leave the staff, and the scamps, to continue playing normally. If you ever decide to finish the quest all you have to do is bring the staff to the cave like you would normally and drop it off.
- While you have the Staff of the Everscamp, and Everscamp followers, do not go into any Ayleid ruin with a poison gas trap (most commonly noticed in Vindasel where Umbra is found). If the Everscamps die in the poison gas area, when they are resurrected the game will crash.
- This bug is fixed by version 3.4.0 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
|Whom Gods Annoy (MS43)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I'm hearing a strange report of odd noises and smells coming from around Rosentia Gallenus's house here in Leyawiin. Perhaps I should go and investigate.|
|20||Rosentia Gallenus has told me she acquired a strange Daedric staff, and after trying to examine it, she inadvertently summoned some scamps. Now the things follow her wherever she goes. Worse still, the staff seems cursed and she cannot drop it, sell it or get rid of it. She implored me to help her figure a way to rid her of the curse. She suggested I speak to a friend of hers at the Mages Guild, Alves Uvenim.|
|30||Alves Uvenim identified the cursed staff as the Staff of the Everscamp. The only way to rid one's self of the staff is if someone else willingly accepts it. Finally, she pointed out that the only way to fully break the curse would be to return it to where it came from; Darkfathom Cave. I should take this information back to Rosentia immediately.|
|40||I've willingly accepted the staff from Rosentia. The scamps are now under my escort. I should hasten to Darkfathom Cave and be rid of these annoying creatures.|
|50||I've arrived at Darkfathom Cave. I should proceed inside.|
|60||I've arrived at the shrine to Sheogorath. I should find the altar and place the staff near it.|
|70||I've placed the staff near the altar at the shrine to Sheogorath. The scamps seem pleased with their new home, and best of all have stopped following me. I should return to Rosentia with the news.|
|100||Rosentia Gallenus was gratified that I rid her of the scamps, and rewarded me with a daedric ring she identified as the Ring of Eidolon's Edge.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS43 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.