Daggerfall:A Test of Determination
- Receive a letter from your bloodline.
- Travel to the town named in the letter.
- Meet with your vampire contact and receive the challenge.
- Head to the dungeon named in the challenge.
- Enter it and find the Daedric worshipper within.
- Choose to answer the challenge or submit to the Daedra.
- If you answer, defeat a Daedroth to prove your might.
- Return to the vampire within the time limit for your reward.
A Daedric Dare
When your bloodline requires your assistance, they contact you:
- A terribly pale, wild-eyed boy hands you a letter and disappears into the darkness.
Check your inventory for the letter, which reads:
- Dear (player's name),
- (Bloodline) have need
- of you. Come immediately.
- Yours in Death,
- (Vampire's name)
Head to the town named in the letter, locate and enter your contact's building. The door may be locked, so be prepared to pick or otherwise bypass the obstacle. Find and speak to your vampire contact within, and hear:
- "Ah, (player's first name), you received my letter. The ancient of our tribe, your bloodfather, has asked that you investigate a matter that disturbs him greatly. Here is a copy of a letter he found wrapped around a knife in his sanctuary. Obviously whoever sent it is of no mean power and wants to test the strength of (bloodline). Go to the dungeon mentioned in the letter, this (dungeon), find this (daedra disciple's name) who wrote the letter and show (him/her) that (bloodline) are no cluster of mollycoddles to be idly threatened or ridiculed. The pride of (bloodline) goes with you, (player's first name). I will expect you back in (time limit) days with this matter settled. Do not fail us, (player's first name)."
The letter your bloodfather received will yield some clues. Check for it in your inventory, it reads:
- Blood Sponge,
- My coven tells me that your monsters,
- your weird little pack of blood snorting
- bugaboos, have a monopoly on the terror
- business in (region), and that my
- own children are afraid to expand their
- dominion because of the raw power of (bloodline).
- The cowards have been appropriately punished
- and now my coven moves forward.
- If the complacent vultures who call
- themselves (bloodline) truly have an ounce
- of the potency my coven once believed, answer
- my challenge. Otherwise, be prepared for there
- to be a little less room in (region) for (bloodline)
- and your petty criminalities.
- I am (daedra disciple's name) of The Coven of
- (Daedra Prince). Consider the gauntlet dropped.
- I await your response in (dungeon).
Answering the Challenge
Travel to the dungeon named in the letter and find the daedra disciple within. The disciple will appear in the form of whichever Daedra Prince he or she reveres, When spoken to, the disciple reiterates the challenge:
- "Welcome to (dungeon), (player's name). I take it you are here on behalf of (bloodline) to acknowledge that the Coven of (Daedra Prince), Prince of Oblivion is henceforth supreme in (region)?"
To answer the challenge and defend your bloodline's honor, choose "no". The disciple responds with:
- "You dare to challenge the supremacy of (Daedra Prince), to my very face, undead worm? (Daedroth's name) will enjoy crushing your impudent bones! Show me a member of (bloodline) who can fight as well as brag!"
The disciple leaves, and a Daedroth appears. You must defeat this creature in combat to prove your bloodline's might over the Coven's minions. When the Daedroth is dead, the Daedra Prince contacts you directly:
- You hear (Daedra Prince) speaking to you in your head: "You have proven to me that (bloodline) are worthy of respect. You may tell (vampire's name) that (region) is yours. You are an interesting specimen, (player's name). I am certain we will meet again."
Your work here is done; return to your contact and be rewarded for your actions.
If you instead reply with "yes", you acknowledge the Coven's superiority over your bloodline and its dominance in the region. The disciple then allows you to leave without a fight, but is disappointed:
- "Cowardly bloodsucker. I expected no more, yet I had hoped. Go back to (vampire's name), child."
This choice means you fail the quest. Head back to your vampire contact to be chastised for your cowardice.
When you speak to the vampire after you have defeated the Daedroth, you are told:
- "You have honored (bloodline) this night, (player's first name). (Daedra Prince) has respect for us and for you that no other vampire tribe has ever earned. Your bloodfather told me to give you this (gem) as a symbol of the permanence of your place in (bloodline).
When you return after bowing to the Daedra, the vampire will say:
- "You have failed (bloodline), (player's first name). The Coven of (Daedra Prince) challenged us, and you were an . It is a night of shame."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
The Vampire Bloodline will always be the dominant bloodline of the region were the quest takes places.
Defying the Daedra and defeating the Daedroth will earn you reputation as seen below.
|Random Daedra Prince||+10|
|Associated Daedra Princes||+5|
|Dark Brotherhood's associated factions||+5|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
If you bend to the Daedra, you will lose reputation as follows.
|Random Daedra Prince||-10|
|Associated Daedra Princes||-5|
|Dark Brotherhood's associated factions||-5|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- Random Dungeon Monsters
- One Daedroth if you defy the Daedric character
- The questfiles of this quest are misnamed. The binary file is named P0B1XL08.QBN and the text file P0B10L08.QRC. As a result, you cannot get this quest unless you change the name of one file so that it matches the name of the other. A fix can be found here: File:P0B10L08.ZIP
- If the random Daedra Prince is Sheogorath, you will only gain/lose reputation with him, but there is no gain/loss with Oblivion, the other Daedra Princes or the Dark Brotherhood and its associates.
- If the random Daedra Prince is Mephala, you will gain/lose +10/-10 reputation with the Dark Brotherhood and its associated factions.
- After slaying the Daedroth, you may be unable to speak to your vampire contact, and thus you will be unable to obtain your reward. This does not not affect the positive reputation you received from killing the monster, however.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Strange things are afoot in (dungeon). Even stranger than usual, I should say."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Things have quieted down around (dungeon). But the daedra stars burn at night."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Dungeon) has quieted. Even the daedra stars glowed softer last night."
|A Test of Determination (p0b10l08 / p0b1xl08 (see Notes))|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I have received a letter from (vampire's name) of (bloodline), asking for my immediate presence in a place called (building) in (town).|
|1||(Date): (Vampire's name) of (town) has given me a letter, written by a (daedra disciple's name) of (dungeon), insulting our tribe, (bloodline). I am to go to (dungeon) and make this (daedra disciple's name) eat (his/her) words. I have (time limit) days to do this and return to (building).|