UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Baar Dau plot hole?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
If the dunmer were capable of putting holes in Baar Dau to make The Ministry of Truth, how come they don't just destroy it instead of relying on Vivec's magic to protect the city?

Post subject: Re: Baar Dau plot hole?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 5
Ever take a block of cheese and break it up into bits? Or run it against a grater? What was once a reasonably small and dense block of solid matter now ends up filling a bowl because it's now a large number of smaller bits plus the empty space in between.

If you thought Baar Dau was big while it was in one piece, just wait until you see the mess it'll make when crumbled up.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I guess that could be the reasoning behind it. But they did already mine through it. Quite a lot too. Why not just finish the job? Also I'd rather have a bowl of grated cheese thrown at my face than a block.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Baar Dau was captured and held over Vivec as a show of the demi-god's power, and Vivec said that he could have removed it, but decided that if the faithful of the Tribunal ever lost their faith, the rock would fall on the city and destroy them.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:36_Lesson ... _Sermon_33

So, Baar Dau hangs over the city of Vivec because Vivec himself willed it to be so.

Oh my love, Anastasia, this may be our last goodbye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:05 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Aaaah. That makes sense thank you. Damn Tribunal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:20 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 420
Also, it's described in lore as a moonlet. The Temple might have dug out a few passages and caverns, but there's no way it's hollow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:49 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 20
It was originally frozen in time so it would retain its original velocity if the Tribunal's powers (and the faith of their followers) waned. Sort of the ultimate final "[&@%!] off" to the people who defied Vivec's authority, I suppose. I personally feel that it's an awful, inhuman thing to hold a threat like that over people's heads to get them to obey, but hey, Morrowind is a realistic world and you and I both know guilt and threats are part of the reason certain people follow certain ideologies in our own world.

I would imagine, speaking from the "frozen in time" standpoint, that the individual chunks removed from the Moon are still considered part of the Moon, so wherever they were in Tamriel they also caused catastrophes. I'm assuming most of the chunks were kept around Morrowind as mementos of sorts. Maybe in Temple shrines as a display of power. These would have essentially destroyed the Temples they were in and probably several blocks around them individually, but the damage would have been smaller scale compared to the largest chunk over Vivec City.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:49 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 5
Here's an idea, then: take a chunk and turn it around. When the moon starts moving again, it goes upwards instead of down! We will go to space today!

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.