UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Dragons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
I ran into my second random encounter yesterday. I shot at it, threw magic at it, ran around in circles under it, but I could not get it to come into range and attack :x

The Great Water Guardian of the UESP poke-squad
The Proud Falco of the UESP VGCC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I haven't met any random encounters yet. I basically just met one at the dragon encounter/word wall On the mountain by Shor's Stone, through Northwind Mine. Only went through the mine on the way down. Climbed the mountain from the back. Appeared on top of the word wall and had to hide inside those ruined shacks up there. I think It's the remnants of the miner's village, though the mine's infested with undead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:03 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
So far I have been fortunate enough to run into all my random dragons in defensible positions. Frost dragon near Yngvield, Fire Dragon in Morthal in the middle of the night when only the guards were out, funny thing about that one is it attack while I was chopping wood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games:
Platform:
Minor spoiler I suppose, not main quest: It involved a lot of crouching behind stones, taking potshots with my bow and ice-spike, and lots of healing/use of ward spell. Let me tell you it is one of the most satisfying experiences to throw out your hand at the last second as the dragon opens its maw, and let the searing flames deflect harmlessly away from your ward.

It's a little disappointing that the dragons' flying animations are so awkward. They often take very sharp or unnatural turns in mid-air that are simply ridiculous at times. We all saw evidence of this in pre-release gameplay, and hoped for improvement... oh well... Anyway I love fighting them, they are a brilliant challenge on expert difficulty and they look best when they stick to the ground. The models for them are absolutely gorgeous, and they move very convincingly on the ground at least(for the most part :roll: ).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 am 
Novice
Novice

Got a bounty to take out a dragon. Headed out to the site and saw a tower running up to a word wall and a dragon overhead. Run into the tower and up the stairs and as I come out on the roof of the tower I see not one, but TWO dragons. Both fire-breathers, which is super annoying because its hard to see through the fire. I spend most of the battle ducking in and out of the ceiling access on the stairs while flames rip through the tower. Totally awesome set piece battle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Yeah I ran like a little girl when I first ran into 2 dragons at once.

I am level 8 and have killed 7 dragons so far. My favorite was luring one to a giant camp and watching them duke it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
My first random encounter with a dragon was just outside Whiterun, but was unusual in the fact that he actually was going for the town, not me :lol: . He flew around for a while in the distance, never getting very close to me, so I just kept on going the opposite direction. My first time i actually killed a dragon was outside of Winterhold, in the stables IIRC. It was amazing I heard a slight uproar in the winds, and just assumed it was nothing more. Then a dragon came around the mountain and scared me to death. The NPCs reacted so perfect. One of the men from the stables went near shelter with his head down. Everyone else went in. Possibly my favorite part of the whole battle was when a giant near a giant camp came in and stomped on it's head for the finishing blow :P. I also really like it when you've already kill a dragon and the guard runs out after you've already killed a dragon, and they're just in awe of you :P . It was truly epic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 am 
Novice
Novice

The Jarl of Winterhold was fighting one with me at one point.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:26 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
I am level 14 and have defeated 4 dragons without dying so far. Fought the scripted one at the West Tower of Whiterun. Just ran to the top of the tower and peppered it with arrows. Second time I was at the College. Was heading out for a quest when Lydia got squirrely and started running around, looked up, braced for impact. Third time was outside a certain ghetto, Khajhit (sp?) caravan was there, them and the guards nearly defeated it alone. Fourth time I exited the back of a mine, up on the mountain was a dragon, didn't hesitate just charged it. Was definitely the toughest of the 4, some serious fire breath. Now I have all these bones and scales and nothing I can do with them until I max smithing....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:43 am 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
That last one, was that outside Northwind Mine? By the Aura Whisper word wall?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I've got 8 unspent dragon souls, and no shouts to spend them on >_<

I fought two dragons in the college of Winterhold (on different occasions)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Well, you need to do more random dungeon delving, then. Try to go through Northwind Mine east of Shor's Stone, in the rift. There's a world wall outside the mine in the other end. There's a few skeletons in there, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:11 am 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I believe the random encounter ones do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games:
Platform:
I have killed probably 17+ at this point. Most of my time is actually spent trying to find the word walls, and then killing the dragons that guard them. For my wood elf black smith, it is a hobby because i kill a whole lot of dragons then take their bones and scales and make armor then sell! Gotta make a living somehow eh? From what i have seen so far

Also for the places i have found the most dragons ,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:42 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:11 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Kill it with fire, as I always say.

Post subject: Re: Your first -random- Dragon encounter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 5
We had two threads that really talked about the same thing, that being dragons messing up our stuff, so I threw them together. 'Cause I'm cool like that.

Okay, so clearly, despite getting this game at the release, I am a little far behind...or just very lucky...or not far enough in the MQ (as usual)...but I've had only one random dragon encounter outside of the Whiterun one. And I've played the game for over 20 hours.

I had just come back from the Graybeards and spent a night in the inn in Ivarstead, and, having awoke feeling completely refreshed, I stepped out onto the inn's porch. "Ah," thought I, "what a beautiful dawn, with a slight breeze and the sound of flags flapping in the distance."

Yeah. There are no flags outside the inn in Ivarstead. Those be dragon wings!

So my Imperial runs around with a bow and arrow, aiming feebly at the dragon as it lands on rooftops and attempts to eat the townsfolk. Eventually I realize the utter lunacy in this and run up to the sucker when he lands. I start hacking at his legs and realize he seems to not even know that I exist, instead trying to eat the local guard, who is much less successful at dragon slaying than the mighty and great Lenicus Tullius. I suppose I was lucky in that I had the blessing from the top of the 7000 steps, where wildlife seems to ignore you, although I'm not sure if the dragon is "wildlife" or just utterly oblivious to the Dragonborn's existence, like the loser that he is. Needless to say I run him in and save the day.

What's really impressive, though, is the reactions the villagers have. They all ran up afterwards and began to gawk, saying, "I can't believe it!" "You took his very soul!" "How did you...?" and such. That is a really nice touch, and made me pleasantly surprised. Every time I play this game the world just gets more and more real. And the dragons are so well done, if you ask me. I like them very much.

But no more dragons for me, yet. I seem to have put the fear of god in them. Or at least the fear of Lenicus Tullius, which is good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games:
Platform:
I was exploring the country side near Markarth and not 1 but 2 Dragons attacked me

Luckily I had already found an item that reduces Fire damage by quite a bit, so I managed to kill em both (but they did eat my Horse)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 2
I have a few memorable random dragon counters one was outside windhelm once no guards. Just me. And the horses. I was fairly surprised to see the dragon dead at my magics and bow. And the harass horses hoofs. Another was up on greybeard mountain and another outside riften.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was out somewhere in the random wilderness, exploring the scenery after first getting my game, and I saw a shadow cast over me. I had a mini freak out and tried to at first look for water to hide in, but found none, so I aimlessly ran about trying to figure out how to ground it and hit it with flame, realizing that I had accidentally run RIGHT into a giant camp. Narrowly avoided it's club, and ran away from the giant until I realized it wasn't following me anymore. Turned around, realized it was fighting the dragon, and just proceeded to kite the two together until the giant did all the dirty work for me. When I went to go absorb the skull, just had to kite the giant in circles whilst the long cutscene took place.

Then ran like my ass was on fire.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
I was in the wilderness near Markarth on my horse. then i saw the dragon and jumped off my horse and ran. Then i jumped 30 feet down into a big river with some goats that were getting sweeped away with the current.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2