UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moon & Star: A Gaming and Podcast Channel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 13
Heya guys, gals, and nonbinary pals; resident talks-too-much Unionhack here. If you're like me, then you probably like video games a whole lot. If that holds true, then you might like watching someone else play video games while they talk about dumb stuff! It's like all the fun of hanging out at the house of that one friend who didn't have a second GameCube controller so you had to watch him play Smash Brothers.

Enter

You may be familiar with my friend Baloth-Kul and I's in which we simply broadcasted my end towards my own YouTube channel and kept it up on there.

However, I felt that this was a bit clunky. There was little I could do to edit these videos or trim out unwanted elements, they were prone to interruption via disconnects and other problems, you could only show one of our screens, and the audio balance was un-workable because game and voice audio were recorded together. Plus, "Union & Baloth" doesn't really roll off the tongue very well.

So I decided to try and do this a little differently. Recording audio separately from two different video angles sounds super easy, right? Well it super wasn't. We spent about 3 to 4 hours running an experiment on how to achieve this, and managed to produce a 'wet run' proof-of-concept video based on our idea. It's partly due to my inexperience as a video editor and my unfamiliarity with capturing any audio without a physical interface (ie; wires, soundboard), and not knowing how to properly edit video certainly doesn't help either.

However, we ended up with a passable video. I say passable because it definitely works based on my intended design, but it is more than a little rough around the edges. Audio sync is off, video quality is low, sound quality on Baloth's mic is abysmal (not his fault!), and honestly we were a little tired after trying to get this set up and weren't in the best mindset to be entertaining on mic. But that's no big deal; the important thing is that we know it works, and we can totally make it better when we actually start to seriously produce content.

So, 's the finished product. Like I said, it's not the top-notch stuff you'd expect elsewhere. I'm definitely not a trained editor and I have a stubborn insistence on learning things myself through experimenting. However, I hope that you enjoy it like you were there with us!

We hope that you'll join us again when we really put the pedal to the metal and produce a higher-quality, competently-edited video. We'll have talking points and topics to discuss as we proceed, as well as goals set in the games we play. Any and all content we produce will be located in this thread in post #2, and intermittent updates will be posted as we decide to crank stuff out.

If you have any questions about how we run the show, ideas on games to play, or requests on topics to speak about, then please let us know.

Last edited by Unionhack on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Moon & Star: A Gaming and Podcast Channel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:07 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Post reserved for documentation purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:08 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Post reserved for alternative auxillary purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
We are FINALLY gonna get some recording stuff done today!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Hello everyone! We finally got an actual episode produced!

We decided to play some Overwatch first. While there were some unexpected problems (us not being very good, tech issues on the later half), I think that this is more than serviceable as a first episode of something I hope to do way more often. I'm glad to finally have a tangible example of a concept I thought I wouldn't be able to do; and it was way simpler than I thought!

I hope y'all enjoy. I have enough material for three more episodes right now so expect some more in the near future as I get done editing stuff. Let us know if you have any questions or recommendations!

For future reference, if you'd like us to play anything, we have the following games available to play together;

And that's all just off the top of my head, so be on the lookout for more.