UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 am 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:47 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
Any opinions on Peter Capaldi on his portrayal of the Doctor? I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with his previous work so my expectations were based purely on the banter around Capaldi. I was expecting a more restrained darker version of the character. While there were definitely some moments in the first episode where a little more edge came through, I have to say I really enjoyed seeing how frantic Capaldi can get not to mention the moments where he shows some vulnerability were just fantastic.

Overall I felt that Deep Breath was a bit of an uneven episode that felt like it dragged on a bit but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Capaldi in the role.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games:
UESPoints: 1
Capaldi has a bit of acting baggage from The Thick Of It but I think it's such a contrasting sort of role to the Doc I think he'll be excellent. He's a very good actor

I thought the first episode was a mixed bag as well, it seems every new doctor has to go through a "hey my eyes taste yellow" phase. But yes, those bits where the character came through were very good. The doctor always has mystery, the last one maybe had an edge by being a bit of a battler but perhaps Capaldi's doctor won't need to do this, i could easily see a Ghandi esq Doctor running around defeating the daleks as the battle weary fighter we saw last time. Looking forward to this one a lot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:28 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 15
So we've had old, young, sane and crazy, English and Scottish, but always male and white. You would think that with a character that completely changes every few years they would have had a more diverse group of Doctors. When do we get the first female Doctor, and when do we get the first non-white Doctor? And why aren't more people up-in-arms about the decision to keep him male and white for fifty years?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform:
I saw plenty of drama about it when he was first announced, but honestly, as long as Moffat's lead writer it's just never gonna happen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:14 am 

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:02 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 20
No they don't, see The Corsair from The Doctor's Wife or The 8th Doctor's regeneration. The Doctor said he can be anything. The Doctor is iconically male? Since when? They offered 8th young/old, male/female and he didn't seem to care, just wanted to be a warrior.

Honestly Moffat would [&@%!] it up is the best argument against a female doctor at the moment. I think just cast whoever's the best regardless of age, sex, race.

Episode was alright I suppose. Capaldi was good in it though, he's been good in everything else I've seen him in.

Last edited by Kerr on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform:
Also, about the little "reveal" at the end of the episode.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:49 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games:
Platform:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 15
Agree that the ending was lacking, but I've come to expect that of Doctor Who. For every brilliant episode you'll have between 5 & 8 that are just terrible.

Also, can they please have someone else stage and film the fight/action scenes? Close-ups of faces do not show what is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games:
Platform:
Even if time lords don't have a set gender the history of the bulk of the timelords portrayed seems to suggest that most have some gender preference in how they spawn. I think the statement that the Doctor is an iconic male figure is fair. I would suspect that the majority who watch the show do see the character as male. I wouldn't say that I'm against the idea of the Doctor spawning as a female more often but I do think it would represent a more substantial shift in the identity of the character than a non-white Doctor despite the fact it's been done before.

My personal view is that the difference between developing a character further and jumping the shark is a matter of execution. And I don't think it's just a Moffat issue, I think it would take an above average writer to pick up on the nuance of what a female Doctor would be like. I think it would be interesting to see it done well but I can't say that I'm among those who think it's something that needs to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform:
Someone just pointed this out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:53 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games:
Platform:
She said she fancied a girl in Asylum of the Daleks but that was a different Clara. Also said it was a 'phase.'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform:
Huh, there was so much train wreck in that episode I'd completely forgotten that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 2
Did anyone else draw parallels between this episode and that one long ago when they also had a Dalek in chains and constantly repeating "Doctor"?

It was disturbingly similar for me at least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:09 pm 

ES Games:
Platform:
The episode "Dalek" and the recent one does share some elements but thankfully, the latter is not a rehash of the former. Also, Calpadi's doctor seems to be a bit cold hearted and it seems we have a punny doctor. I hope Moffat doesn't go overboard with it if it was his idea. If it's Calpadi's idea, then it'll be interesting to see what he does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:54 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games:
Platform:
I've heard Dalek is an adaptation of a Sixth Doctor audio drama Jubilee. Never listened to it though. But yeah there were similarities.

Twelve is being kind of an [&@%!] although at least he's being called out on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:55 pm 

ES Games:
Platform:
I think 12 is beyond hoping he'll be accepted by humans and just doesn't care if he is accepted or not. I agree he is a bit of an arse but i think he is badly scarred by the battle of Trenazlore and just doesn't give a damn about people's feelings. That or he is still adjusting to having a brand new body that is middle aged. Or Moffat happened.

If the Master returns, it'll be interesting to see if they'll get Simm back or if they use someone who is capable of matching Calpadi's doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I think it's the scottishness of the doctor that makes him an asshat.
But at least it's different from the sort of happy clappy fairy dancing types from before very different from Matt Smith's Doctor at least. And that's how it should be at least for me, new face, new way of looking at things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:36 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games:
i think Capaldi's doctor has started off very weary, recoiling after Matt Smith's battles, battle scarred for sure.

His first 'battle' was to be accepted by Clara and now there's no pretence there, I am liking his honesty even though is seems callous - it made me ask myself how much the previous more compassionate doctors just wanted to be seen to want to help doomed humans, so they didn't alienate their companions and end up lonely again.. this is a weakness the doc has, his loneliness. Probably his greatest enemy.

I don't think he necessarily cares less about people, he is possibly just more honest (to himself) and less clouded by doubt - free of the guilt past incarnations have been lugging around. The events in 'the day of the doctor' may have been a good bit of therapy for him and now he's exercising a new found freedom. His rejection of the soldier who wanted to come along for the ride was very interesting, this is a very anti war doctor and he wants to help those who think for themselves

i think we need an episode with a tiny cast - along the lines of the Vincent Van Gogh story or even just Capaldi on his own for most of it - most writers thrive on limiting the palette and this show has never been known for its outstanding special effects lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:32 pm 

ES Games:
Platform:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Clara is leaving during the christmas special. It's a shame the actor has thrown in the towel as Clara is an excellent companion apart from the whole being a walking plot device thing. But i think Jenna Coleman wants to move onto other things or Moffat feels that Clara and 12's relationship needs to end. Will be interesting to see if they kill her off or Clara just quits.

I would love to see Calpadi be by himself for one or two episodes as it would give him a chance to really show us what 12 is about. So far, he is a bit of a cold arse that doesn't care about being accepted and seems to enjoy making puns.

As for the special effects, they haven't been good at some points but it's part of the show and the BBC can't really afford to invest in excellent special efforts for every episode every week as it would most likely eat up the budget assigned to Doctor Who.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
Clara could die all she wants. Isn't what she did to herself was integrate herself through out all of the doctor's life, at least to counteract the Intelligence wasn't it?

So yeah walking plot device but she'd probably vanish into the background as she did for all the time she wasn't noticed by the doctor through the start of his life and.. That's all I got.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games:
Platform:
The small cast episodes of Doctor Who have been some of my favourites, Midnight, The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited are all excellent.

This Danny Pink chap might become the new companion. I'm not that fond of Clara, I don't think I'd go as far to say that I hate her but I wouldn't really miss her if she left. Honestly she's just kind of uninteresting, so much so that I don't have strong feelings about her. I just don't care and when I do it's usually annoyance. When I was watching the Christmas Special in Victorian London I was like "neat, a New Who companion who isn't from modern earth" but alas it wasn't to be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
Anyone watched that latest episode?

Or I just missed something about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next