UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some Daggerfall problems / bugs?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 0
Can anyone shed some light on these problems?

1) When I unload stuff in my ship, my encumbrance weight goes down as expected while I remain on the ship, but when I return to Daggerfall, the weight of the dumped items adds to my encumbrance, so the ship is useless as a place to store things. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Btw, this problem persists when I do a re-installation.

2) When I complete a Fighters Guild quest, I am told by the quest-giver that he is giving me a map, and my screen switches to my inventory. However, no new parchment appears, and I cant find any map. Where is it?

Thanks for any help, Alodar

Post subject: Re: Some Daggerfall problems / bugs?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1

Post subject: Re: Some Daggerfall problems / bugs? plus an aditional note
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:18 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I recently got Daggerfall on a CD as part of the "Elder Scrolls Anthology." I would have thought, perhaps naively, that they would have included the latest version. How can I tell what version I have?

On my item 2), I now realize that the travel map is directly updated; the update does not require me to read a "map" parchment.

An additional observation, obvious in retrospect, involves the use of items with the "repair" enchantment. I noticed when I tried to repair some stuff by resting in a dungeon, that repair was not working. Eventually I realized that the problem was that I had a whole bunch of armor and weapons in my inventory that I had taken from fallen enemies. When I got rid of them, the repair function worked as expected.

Post subject: Re: Some Daggerfall problems / bugs? plus an aditional note
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:48 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
When I try to run the exe file, I get an error message that it is not compatible with my version of Windows; it seems to require a 32 or 64 bit version. I conjecture that I need to run it from within DosBox. Do you think that's it? If so, how do I do it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The patch is of course a DOS programme, as is the game itself. You need to load the DOS command prompt in DOSBox and run the patch from there. It will first extract all the necessary files, then IIRC you need to run PATCH.EXE.

If you're not very familiar with how to navigate your files from the command prompt, might be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
I have downloaded the patch program dag213 and I have read the DosBox tutorial. It helps but not enough. I am unable to designate the "c" directory. The dag213 file is in a DF directory which is in a daggerfall directory. DF also contains the DAGGER directory (folder) which has the dagger executable. The daggerfall directory also contains the DosBox directory. I need to tell DosBox where the dag213 file is located (assuming it is in the right place.) The Windows system tells me what I suppose is a root pathname delineated by right-pointing solid triangles. It starts with "Computer" and then "OS(C:)". But DosBox doesn't seem to recognize either name. The easiest way to designate the desired "C" directory to DosBox would be a relative path name, but either I've forgotten how to specify that,or else DosBox doesn't use it. It is frustrating to be so close and not be able to follow through. I hope that you will continue to be patient with me. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Well, I did something, the questions are "Was it the right thing and did it work? I looked at the df config file for DosBox and immitated the way it set up a relative linkage for the C: directory. I moved dag213 into the DF/DAGGER directory (I think) and launched it; it told me to put the daggerfall CD in the drive, then hit any key. So I took ithe CD out and put it back and hit a key, and an install-like sequence took place. But then I got the same request to "CD in the drive, then hit any key," and so on, repeatedly. So I quit out of DosBox. In writing this post, I tried to replicate what I had done, but now the exec complains it is at the wrong level in the hierarchy no matter where I put it (daggerfall/DF/DAGGER any of these three levels.) In looking at the contents of the DF directory, I see that several files and folders have a new datestamp for about the time when whatever happened was happening. Fine, but why cant I replicate it now? This is all very frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:17 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Progress but still a problem. I have to mount C with the command "mount C ../DF" because the DosBox executable is inside a folder at the same level as DF. I mount the cdrom with the command you specify but the drive name E, which is that of the cdrom. I now launch dag213 (which is in the DAGGER subfolder) with the command "C:\DAGGER\dag213" and the program responds

"This program will upgrade Daggerfall to version 1.07.213
"
"You must run this program from your Daggerfall subdirectory
"In most cases this will be C:\DAGGER
"
"Are you sure you want to update now (y/n)?"

When I respond "y", I get the error message

"This is not your Daggerfall directory..." etc

What am I doing wrong? There is, in fact, an application file in \DAGGER called DAGGER. Btw, the same thing happens when I try to run FIXSAVE, which is also in the \DAGGER subdirectory.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:26 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I think the update might look into Z.CFG for the path to where the game is installed, rather than just check where the game executable is. It makes sense because the patch will update some files in the ARENA2 folder. I conjecture that when you installed the game the paths were mounted differently inside DOSBox.

The simplest solution here would be to open Z.CFG (it should be in the same folder are FALL.EXE) and see what paths it uses, then re-mount the drives in DOSBox according to that (or vice versa, edit Z.CFG to your newly rearranged paths).

The more complicated (but probably more reliable) solution would be to back-up your saves, then re-install the game and patch it immediately after that. This at DOSBox Wiki might be useful for that. (I'm sorry if I provide redundant information, I don't know your OS and how you installed the game in the first place.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
The Z.cfg file has "path c:\dagger\arena2." When I move dag213 into ARENA2 and launch it there, I get exactly the same sequence of reponses as before, i.e., not the Daggerfall directory. Other than dag213 that I moved there, the only EXE file in ARENA2 is REPORT.EXE; the DAGGER.EXE is definitely in \DAGGER.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hmm, you seem to have all the paths correct (assuming that you mounted the real folder where DAGGER is located as the C: drive inside DOSBox). You don't need to move the patch into the ARENA2 folder.

There is a possibility that you have already the latest version of the program and the patch acts weird because of that. Just to be sure, run DAGGER.EXE and then quit the game. The full version number of Daggerfall should be then displayed in DOSBox.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Is this a clue? When I issue the command "C:\DAGGER" with C: defined as the DF\DAGGER folder, I get the message

"ERROR: You cannot play Daggerfall off the CD. Please install the game first."

Of course, the game IS installed. This message occurs whether or not I also define D: as the cdrom as you once indicated I should. (Btw,there is another executable there, FALL, that is much bigger than DAGGER.)

I cannot find any other config files that would appear to be relevant. I do see a text file "PATCHED" that lists patches in reverse order starting with 1.07.213. This file has the timestamp, "11/20/2013 4:36 PM" that corresponds to the time when "something happened" This same timestamp is on the FIXSAVE, FIXMAP and FALL files. Is this telling us something? Also,
1) this ship problem seems to be fixed and 2) I noticed that the background color in the inventory cells holding the "letter" has changed to green. I begin to suspect that despite its peculiar behavior, somehow the patch got made. Really, however, what I would most like to do is run FIXSAVE. When I launch the FIXSAVE.EXE, I get a header text that indicates it has really been launched. But then it wants me to "insert the CD." When I do so, I get into the CD's installation dialog. I can choose the option to repair the installation but then it exits and drops me back into DosBox where I get the "insert the CD" message over again. Someplace along the line it should be asking me which SAVE to fix, and it doesnt.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:37 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
All folders from DF down are marked read-only; that is also true of the levels above up to Bethesda Software. Should I remove the read-only designations?

I originally installed the game from CDROM using the installation utility on the disk. Btw, although I cannot get FIXSAVE to behave as it seems it should, somewhere along the line my worst problem was corrected, i.e., the fact that the game crashed whenever I tried to go to the city of Daggerfall. At this point the game is playable, though for future reference I would very much like to be able to run FIXSAVE if I ever need to. In any case, I am very grateful for your patience and helpfulness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Even though your current problem has got itself fixed somehow, Daggerfall is generally known to be very buggy, and you should definitely update it to the latest version and also get at least the too. Otherwise you might very well run into other annoying problems that can really spoil the playing experience.

I have not the slightest idea how the install utility you used works, if it was a Windows thing (without any use of DOSBox) then maybe you should back up your current saved games and re-install the game from inside DOSBox. Also, since Daggerfall is now freeware anyway, I fancy it might be an overall good idea to download (if getting a ~150 MiB file isn't a problem for you that is) either DaggerfallSetup which should do all the work for you, or at least Bethesda's online version, and install it following the .