UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Condensed Daggerfall
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:55 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 0
Obviously it isn't "too" hard to modify the old DOS ES games.. So why don't we try to create a more condensed version of Daggerfall (In keeping with more modern ES games). priorities being: Shrinking the world!!!!! Let's be able to walk about now please... ending the time factors on quests (there's too much to do in the first place, without people forcing you!) And allowing you to bring up the mini map outside of towns and dungeons (like they do in the modern games..)

I am no 1337 whatever they call themselves these days. but I really want this project to work and I am not a trained programmer, so any input or advice or help, is welcome. (i mean who doesn't want Daggerfall to be a playable game within the modern elder scrolls idiom?)

Step 1: How do i muck about with the spacial parameters of Daggerfall. Also, (this is stupid) what do I need to do to modify the base code (for anything in general)?

Last edited by AKB on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Double post

Post subject: Re: Condensed Daggerfall
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:58 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 4985
Daggerfall is a very old game. Very few people know how to modify the game files, let alone well enough to say it is easy. While there are a few mod projects related to Daggerfall, like , you're asking for quite a bit from the relatively small modding community for this game. There are some for this game, but I don't think there is an easy way to just decrease the size of the game world.

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:42 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Well, I really don't know anything about anything, lol. I just kinda thought that since Daggerfall ran on an older OS that it should be easier to mod than the newer games (which people seem to do just fine with). All the same, i am going to have a lot of spare time over the next couple months, so why not try, eh? But i'm kinda going in blind on my own, so anyone's input/advice/techniques/anything will be appreciated. Maybe it isn't easy, but it can't be impossible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:00 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
UESPoints: 4985
DOS stuff is considerably harder to work with then modern software. Few people know how to do anything with it, there is little in the way of comprehensive guides. The few mod projects I know about for old software often are worked on for years due to the sheer difficulty of it all, and the overall lack of interest in the old stuff.

More power to you if you do this, but this proposed project is going to be much harder than you are estimating, I believe.

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:11 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 2
You would probably find it easier and quicker to recreate the game with Skyrim's or Oblivion's engines than updating the original. Beth actually released the development tools for a start, and there are far more people to help with it.

Either way, it will be a vast task.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games:
Platform:
Other Profiles:
Yeah, the more I thought about what the project would entail the more my premature enthusiasm wore off.. I mean if nothing else, trying to create a smaller game map would mean modifying the code for - essentially everything. Extremely tedious, if not impossible.

Still, though, thanks for the input and the info about the XL project. I had no idea it existed. I agree, messing around with a project within a community will be a much better learning experience than trying to do it alone.