UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spells
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 0
I have tried to play this game but have been stumped by the cumbersome mechanics. I finally managed to get the melee attack thing swinging with the mouse and killed the rat! Yay! So I walk a little further and find an imp. It can only be killed by magic. My Breton has 201 magic and the only attack spell is Shock (IIRC). The tutorial says, click backspace to open the magic menu, double click on the spell, exit and then use mouse1 to cast. However what happens is that the spell is automatically cast upon closing the menu, and then can't be cast again with mouse1. To cast again, I have to go into the magic menu again, double click, and zap! upon closing, it is cast again. Supposedly, I should be able to have the spell selected and cast it when needed?

OK by using the cumbersome method described above, I can shoot at the imp three times before running out of magic, but I don't see any effect, and the imp doesn't die. I am as close as possible to the imp when I fire, have it in the center of my screen, etc. Unable to attack the monster any further, my character dies. After beating Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, it feels so silly to be unable to get out of the initial dungeon in this game. Help needed!

Post subject: Re: Spells
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
I use free view as it is more similar to later games. I will try what you say, using the activate key instead of mouse1. The tutorial seems to have it wrong in a number of things. For example it says to press A to bring up my weapon, while it is B (A makes you turn). Now what I don't understand is why the spell fires off instantly the moment I close the magic menu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games:
Platform:
Yes, my keys were messed up from a prior gaming attempt. I defaulted them, then reorganized them again to my taste (free view, WASD, even some keys set like later games- R to unsheathe weapon, T to rest, C to cast, etc). I think I have the magic thing figured, except that selected spells still fire once after closing the menu. But after that I can use them at will with recast spell. Shock still doesn't scratch the imp, but now I know I can kill him with a steel sword or something else. I even got out of the dungeon and to a town. I know the game has great RPG potential but the graphics are a little dreary... I mean, to see a face where each eye is a pixel. A big pixel.

It's also a little hard to get around. I was given a mission to kill a guy at the local Kynareth temple. But I already explored all the empty rooms of the temple and talked to everyone, no sign of the guy, where do I go from there? Pointers in later games may be "dumbing down" but they do help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman