UESPWiki:Archive/CP Template Documentation
|This is an archive of past UESPWiki:Community Portal discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
I would like to propose a change in the current layout of documentation we have for the documentation of templates. Currently, template documentations are either set up like Template:Oblivion Places Summary/Doc, or have their own unique setup. Here I have an example of how the new format for documentation should look like. The actual content of the template will be includeonly, and the documentation is divided into four sections:
- A summary of what the template does.
- An overview of all the possible parameters, the conditions on their value, and what they will affect.
- A code example.
- An example on how the template will display the the previously given code example.
With smaller templates it will be possible to merge the last two sections, which will work better for templates like Key Note.
- Yes, you're absolutely right. I've used a mixture of the "pre" style and custom ones (like Template:Year).
- It's worth mentioning that templates can be included on themselves to just one level or recursion exactly so that examples can be given so we're definitely behind the times on using the old style.
- While we're at it, it would be a good opportunity to move more documentation to subpages if we find widely-used templates that have their documentation on themselves. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 13:28, 12 September 2008 (EDT)
- I'm all for this change. The new layout is clear and easy to understand. With the <pre></pre> documentations it's often difficult to understand which parameters do what. They also look a bit scary to a new user who doesn't know how use templates; a brown box, with only text inside. In comparison to the new one: A quick summary, a table explaining the various parameters, an example of the code, and a preview of what the template will look like.
- I don't think there's much question here. I'm for the change. - Game LordTalk|Contribs 18:41, 12 September 2008 (EDT)