With me, the draugrs came out, but there have been no flames. I tried the right combination a few times, but I did a bunch of incorrect combinations before. I don't know why there have been no flames. I think it's not working because since I did a bunch of incorrect combos the sequence of 4 prolly got offset from I been doin.
- You can hop up in the hill to get the dragon shout. You dont need to go through the cave. Once at the entrance, you just go off to the right and start jumping up the hill. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 07:46 on 21 November 2011 (UTC)
Different Shout ?
I play on XBox 360. I finished the dungeon and afterwards climbed the hill. However, the shout I got wasn't the Whirlwind Sprint, but I got the Elemental Fury. I had the first word of the WS (Greybeards), but not the EF yet. Who can confirm/check? I'll check the EF locations and then reply here later. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 13:42 on 27 November 2011
- I got the second word of Whirlwind - which turns out to be "Fury", so I suspect you just got mixed up by that. 22.214.171.124 17:30, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
I don't believe it's possible to return through the puzzle room once the door has been opened (another gate shuts behind you, which doesn't seem to be openable; the puzzle room switches all lock into place). I also had an invisible draugr lying on one of the shelves, which I could see with Detect Dead (remained invisible when stealth-killed). 126.96.36.199 16:12, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- You can awaken Volsung early by hitting him with a shout while he's still in the casket - I used Marked for Death, but I assume that most shouts would work (probably spells, too). 188.8.131.52 17:32, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- this can fix the issue when the dragon priest does not awaken at all 184.108.40.206 19:22, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- Lastly, I had no issues with closing the trapdoor; unless it happens for someone else, I suggest that it be removed from the glitches section. 220.127.116.11 17:37, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- If you find the Volskygge Peak from the outside you can access the other half of the dungeon 18.104.22.168 19:22, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- Seems like I found a new quirk. Volskygge wouldn't show as "cleared" on my map even after defeating the dragon priest. It was only after going map into the map and noticing I had missed and subsequently mined for Orichalcum ore did the map finally show as cleared. Can anyone else confirm this? — jonsarik — Unsigned comment by Jonsarik (talk • contribs) at 22:23 on 8 January 2012 (UTC)
- this could be due to a side room with daugrs at the entrace of the ruin you might have missed --22.214.171.124 19:22, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- I already know all 3words of Whirlwind Sprint, but was given an objective to find the source of power in Volskygge by Arngeir. The marker led me to the summit, but the word wouldn't activate and Volsung wouldn't arise. Now, I can't finish the quest and can't get any more word locations from Arngeir. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 04:52 on 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- Are you sure you were standing in the correct position looking at the wall? I tried a couple of times to approach the wall back first, and nothing happened before I turned to see at the wall, standing more or less exactly on the quest marker. I hardly managed to turn around fast enough to see Volsung burst from his sarcophagus. —MortenOSlash 18:48, 2 September 2012 (UTC)
The reason of the puzzle
Alright, I can still figure out the answer on my own by trial and error. But why? So the snake fears all and the bear fears none? And fox eats what it can? The wolf fears the bears, that's finally one understandable. Any explanation? --Joshua.yathin.yu 12:26, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- my logic was, "the first fears all", meaning, the fox, as it is non aggro in this game.
- "the second fears none" that could be either, the bear or the wolf, so i go for wolf.
- "the third eats what it can, prefferable number one", if one is fox, snakes eats fox so snake.
- "the forth fears number one, but only when alone". A group of wolfs can kill a bear if it is alone.
- but... Idk, it wasn't right D: 188.8.131.52 00:22, 7 January 2012 (UTC)
- What I was thinking was.... The first fears all means, the first one will make everything fear...... So bear. The second fears non, so fox can't scare anyone. The third eats all it can. Well there's a Chinese saying that greed makes a snake swallow up an elephant. So, snake. And wolf..... I don't know man. --Joshua.yathin.yu 08:09, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
- The snake is the smallest, so he fears being eaten or trampled by any of the others. The bear is the biggest and toughest, so he fears none. The fox mostly scavenges or eats smaller prey, like the snake. The wolf is only outmatched by the bear, and only when he doesn't have the rest of his pack there to help him.184.108.40.206 04:12, 15 January 2012 (UTC)
- The first fears all is the snake. The snake would fear them all because it can be killed by all of them. The second fears none because the bear does not fear the snake, wolf, or fox since it is the highest on the food-chain and strongest. The third the fox its what it can because they are scavengers but they prefer to eat snakes because of how easy they can be killed and found. The fourth the wolf fears the second the bear one it is alone and separated from its pack but when with its pack it would not be afraid because wolves are not allowed to show fear in a pack and they fight together as one. 220.127.116.11 19:27, 16 January 2012 (UTC)
- Two and four are pretty simple, four references pack animals and Wolves are the only pack animals there, two references not fearing anything there which fits the bear nicely (as with the clue to four being able to handle two with superior numbers). But then we get to one and three, which really got me, because after a quick google (result link removed because of a rather angry looking warning message) don't eat snakes by preference. As far as I know they are more scavengers than hunters and a dead bear or wolf would provide a larger and therefore better meal. Whereas, a fox has plenty of reason to be scared of a sufficiently venomous snake, especially as they are the smallest thing there aside from said snake. Between that and no clear 'reset' (though perhaps it doesn't need one and if you just put those four in order at all it opens), this puzzle is the worst I've run across so far in this game. 18.104.22.168 05:40, 3 August 2013 (GMT)
- "The first fears all" - the snake, as it can be killed by the other three (no one said it was venomous). "The second fears none" - the bear, obviously. "The third eats what it can, especially number one" - the fox, as they are omnivorous, plus the only one of the other three it could possibly eat is the snake. "The fourth fears the second, but only when alone" - the wolf, again obviously, both for the pack thing and because the only choice a wolf would fear is the bear. Simple. RearEchelon (talk) 05:10, 14 November 2013 (GMT)
Edited the Notes Section
I deleted from the Notes section the first bullet about scaling the mountain (bullet 1) and replaced it with the text of the second bullet about scaling the mountain (bullet 3). Seemed redundant to me having both of those there. 22.214.171.124 05:52, 27 April 2012 (UTC)
Pit Trap Note
Is it worth mentioning in the article that this is a great place to train restoration? You get injured every time you touch the poles, allowing ample opportunity to heal yourself. I ground out 5 levels before I got bored. 126.96.36.199 00:52, 29 July 2012 (UTC)
- Training restoration is not related to this location. The spikes are listed as a quick way on the restoration page itself, along with an easier reached pit as an example. The Silencer speaksTalk 01:11, 29 July 2012 (UTC)
Locked Puzzle Room - No Way Back?
After completion of the miscellaneous task to find a word of power in Volskygge and killing the dragon priest, you are left on the mountain with the word wall. Your quest arrow leads you back into Volskygge Passages to essentially backtrace you path through the ruin and emerge through the original entrance. However, this appears impossible due to the puzzle room activation handles being locked into place preventing the exit (original entrance) gate to the puzzle room from opening. What has worked in the past is after collecting the Volsung, simply fast-travel from the top of the mountain to your next location of interest and do not re-enter the passages. — Unsigned comment by Drankinatty (talk • contribs) at 08:17 on 2 December 2012 (GMT)
- Yes, this happened to me (PS3). I just wish the Clairvoyance Spell didn't indicate I should head back in after getting the mask. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 14:22 on 19 January 2013 (GMT)
Unlisted Important Treasure?
In the second room, where the lever behind the cage to the hidden room is guarded by bandits is the skill book Surfeit of Thieves. This does not appear anywhere on this page although it is listed in the Skill Book -> locations. I would add it but I'm unsure how to edit the right panel. Could someone do that? Philbert (talk) 19:50, 25 September 2013 (GMT)
Moved from Article
Volsung may occasionally not rise from his crypt. The word wall may also be impossible to use. A method around this is to use the Unrelenting Force shout on the crypt. This can also happen when reentering Volskygge and exiting during battle.
Volsung not rising I can understand, but the rest of this entry seems confusing and vague. The bit about the word wall probably needs a separate entry, but the rest of it isn't explained very well, especially the last sentence. We need some comprehensive testing to determine what causes these issues, because as it stands now the first two sentences are the only ones that are specific enough to be comprehensible. Zul se onikaanLaan tinvaak 12:59, 11 July 2014 (GMT)
Removed Bugs from Page
- When in the Volskygge Passages, a trap will open up under you. Re-closing this trap has caused the game to freeze.
- When in the Volskygge Passages, some narrow parts of the path may be closed up by invisible spider webs, creating the impression that there is a map fault and the passage is not wide enough to go down. Slashing with a sword will make the spider web appear and will clear it away, as in other dungeons.
- If you get stuck in the mountains while fighting Volsung, the dragon priest mask may not be on him if you kill him and then fast travel.
- Hand to hand combat with Volsung may cause the game to freeze.
These bugs have been sitting on the page for well over a year now with no confirmation, so they're probably one-offs. I've removed them from the page. Zul se onikaanLaan tinvaak 13:04, 11 July 2014 (GMT)
i was able to get the mask and kill the priest but the word will still not appear. i went through the ruins one way and the gate was locked. i used my horse to get to the peak and re entered the ruin and the gate was open but the word will still not appear. this is on 360 — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 20:45 on 11 March 2015 (GMT)
Gems on the Peak?
I found a pair of emeralds on the snow at Volskygge Peak, one on either side of the stone eagle's head that faces Volsung's sarcophagus and the word wall.
I'm not sure if they were always on the ground or if they were knocked loose from the eagle's eyes by a shout or spell as I fought him Can someone check to see if this exists in their game? Rolandito (talk) 19:00, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
- I can't find any gems on Volskygge Peak.220.127.116.11 07:00, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
- Found them. Finally. They were in the eye sockets of the eagle head on top of the pillar, but they wouldn't register when I stood too close. Thanks for the tip.18.104.22.168 17:37, 9 August 2017 (UTC)
- I can confirm that there are 2 emeralds in the eye sockets of the eagle head statue facing the steps up to the word wall. I came out at night and their gleam from my torch caught my eye. I had to jump to get them. I've played through Skyrim a few times but it's the first time I've noticed them. I came here to see if they were mentioned but only here on the talk page. 22.214.171.124 01:49, 23 March 2018 (UTC)
- As quite a few thousands have found this working before, it seems like you might have encountered an extremely rare bug. Can you add more details here? Do the flames appear, but no opening of the gate, or are the flames also failing? Do the slumbering draugr wake up? Any other details that may or may not be relevant? —MortenOSlash (talk) 09:55, 15 December 2018 (UTC)