Guild Master Reference
After becoming guild master, in one of his dialogue options ("How's the guild doing?"), he mentions that he's the guild master when it should be the player character? — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 09:34 on 30 November 2011
No he says he is proud to be apart of the guild and the new guild master. He's proud of you.
188.8.131.52 01:00, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
How to kill him!
Yes, needs console commands, but it can be done! I'm putting this here because it is so frustrating that you can't even hurt him with ANYTHING you throw at him.
You cannot change his health, the 'kill' console command will not work on him. Setting him as non-essential doesn't change his invulnerability - you still can't hurt him. So I hit him up inside The Bee and Barb with setessential 0001B07D 0 and used the killall command. He dropped like a stone! It did NOT remove the Thieves Guild quest from my journal unfortunately. I'm reloading a past save, but if I chose to do this again, I will make sure all other NPCs are tagged essential before knocking him off. Most in the inn are, but I was unable to successfully resurrect the one who wasn't (looked dead, but had the 'Talk to' option.)
- This worked!! Thank you. This jerk took out half the town when they came to my aid because he can not only not be killed he cannot be damaged. He had to be sent to pixel purgatory. I wish I could have done it in a fair fight rather than having to open the console. Screw the thieves quild. It should have been optional to bypass that questline too as well as the assassins. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 04:34 on 17 January 2012
- You don't need him for the main quest line. Talk to the argonian barmaid at the Bee and Barb instead of him and she will give you the information you need. You do need him for the Thieves Guild quests if you want to do them. (I never do.) — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 05:35 on 30 November 2012
I hate this guy and I can't even kill him. Makes me a little pissed that there's no way to bring down the Thieves Guild like there is with the Dark Brotherhood. Without spoilers, how key is this guy to the Thieves Guild quests? AzureSN 08:39, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- That's a lot of frustration... He's important for the story part of the Thieves quests. --FarwayK 15:29, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
- I think this guy glitched after I became the guild master. He doesn't have any dialogue options anymore, all he says is "Not now lad/lass, I've got important business to attend to." Any idea what's up with that? 18.104.22.168 01:29, 24 December 2011 (UTC)
- Tou aren't Guild Master you need to do some jobs for Delvin before you end questline now you are stuck and can-t be Guild master in that play.--Aleksa 20:23, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- Thats actually not true, I finished all the main quests and then did the jobs for Delvin/Vex to finish Under New Management Chronic 21:15, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
- It is a bad flaw of the game that you do not have an alternative for the Thieves guild quests like you do the Dark Brotherhood. I never do either because they are obnoxious. You can go ahead and kill Brynjolf like I do with console commands any time you want to. He is not essential for the main quest. When you are sent to talk to him by The Blades to find Esbern you can talk to the Argonian barmaid at the bee and barb instead. Only do this if you do not want to do the Thieves guild quest line. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 05:28 on 30 November 2012
Brynjolf can get hurt
Based on what I'm reading, I'm not sure if my experience was a bug or a glitch. When Brynjolf and I were doing the quest blindsided, Brynjolf got hurt dozens of times and he actually knelt on the ground. I even attacked him couple of times, but he never got hostile and he even took damage like a regular NPC. Am I the only one who can actually physically attack him? — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 07:37 on 26 December 2011
- I'm fairly certain I saw a Falmer beat the crap out of him once. I'm removing the note. Minor Edits 02:17, 21 January 2012 (UTC)
- I tried killing him outright in Riften without doing any quest for him. He doesn't take any damage. Shouting marked for death at him doesn;t even seem to affect him. Perhaps he's superman until he becomes a temporary companion? ForsakenOne 13:21, 2 February 2012 (UTC)
- I've tested this with a level 3 character. Using the flames spell on Brynjolf in Riften had no effect at all. Attacking him with a weapon did make him attacking me and showed his health bar, but it didn't decrease the bar. Trying the same with my level 63 character (almost all Thief Guild quests done), he did take damage, but wasn't killed by it. I removed the "on PC" part, because there seems to be no indication that it will be otherwise on console. --Alfwyn 18:55, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
Before you enter guild he is at market selling that Potion of his and on his stand there is something named Brynjolf's Satchel. For opening it you need key. Where is that key and what is inside?--Aleksa 20:27, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
- I just opened the satchel using console commands and it contained some gold, some lockpicks, and a weak paralysis potion. Not sure where you'd get the key. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 20:31 on 21 January 2012
- I'm also lost on this, Brynjolf is essential and thus can't die, you can't pickpocket the key from him and the satchel is removed later... Bushwhacker 12:14, 14 March 2012 (UTC)
- Is it possible to get the key from the Lockpicking talent Wax Key? Chronic 21:12, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
Brynjolf just stands at his stall
Has anyone else run into the bug in which Brynjolf attends his stall during the day in full thieve's guild armor and when trying to speak to him he simply states "Not here."? Chronic 21:10, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
- I noticed no one has replied... I don't have a great response but would like to assist as much as possible so here is what I have to say. I have had several Brynjolf glitch/problems. After installing Patch 1.4 I gotta say that I've had virtually no major bugs with Brynjolf since. My advice for anything involving him; save often! On my fourteenth play through of the Thieves Guild I'm just now reaching my 4300th save (I save before pickpockets, etc) too. Whenever you start a new quest for the Thieves guild, save at least one file for each new location you go to during that quest and when you complete each quest, save at least a couple saves from the beginning/end so at the very worst you would have to reload and do one or two quests to catch back up and have Brynjolf respond properly. The G00D Job 19:57, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
Brynjolf as a follower
During Trinity Restored, Karliah asks you to meet her and Brynjolf in front of Nightingale Hall. When you get there, and after she walks up to you and your conversation ends, she will start walking toward the entrance of the Nightingale Hall. At this point, Brynjolf will begin following you, but he won't have any of the regular follower commands. I was on PS3 and I figured this out when, after talking to Karliah, I decided to explore the wilderness without entering Nightingale Hall first. I alked somewhat far away, and started a fight with Spriggans and a bear. Brynjolf had followed me and helped me kill the bear. — Unsigned comment by Brother Bob (talk • contribs) at 15:39 on 16 June 2012
- I can confirm this. He's a nicer alternative to Mercer. Although as a thieve, he doesn't know how to sneak. The Silencer speaksTalk 17:43, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
Was wondering if there is anyone else where Bryn bugs up and just stays in the market place saying "hmm?" every time you try to interact with him. The storyline also comes to halt. Tips? — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 08:52 on 25 July 2012
I did the 1st quest. but wen i spoke to brynjolf at the market he sed to me to meet him in the rat way and get thru ther. so i went and no brynjolf. i go back up wen i speak to him i get a hmmm the hole time i checked my quest log and its not even showing ther? wenj i go down to the rat way the guys tel me to proove myself to brynjolf but i cant. no quest in inventory pllllzzzzzzz help. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 12:48 on 12 February 2013
- I believe the 3rd bug listed on the quest page covers this. If you are on PS3 or Xbox you'll need to push him. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 13:53, 12 February 2013 (GMT)
i have completed all the thieves guild quests and i took a break from it but forgot to go grandmaster now all he says is that he has important things to do and that we will speak another time. i've followed him and all he does is walk in circles and i cant get the quest to be grandmaster please help.... — Unsigned comment by Alikepiepiepiepie (talk • contribs) at 09:03 on 24 March 2013
- There are possible fixes on the quest page. Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 11:21, 24 March 2013 (GMT)
After the Ceremony
I was just wondering, after all is said and done and you become guild master, is Brynjolf supposed to be able to talk to you again? What I mean is, I finished the special quests from Delvin, the Under New Management quest started right after the last special job and I found Brynjolf as instructed and was ecstatic to find that there were actually conversation options for him again after all that "sorry lad..." stuff. The ceremony went off normally (I assume) and was given the amulet and the key and I was even able to ask Brynjolf about how the guild was doing. So I went back into The Ragged Flagon and got the guild master's armor from Tonilia, but when I went back into the cistern Brynjolf went right back to only saying his whole "sorry lad..." dialogue again. Is this supposed to happen? Is it one of those unavoidable glitches or can it be fixed? I know it's not a game breaking glitch but it still kinda bothers me that the guy doesn't seem to want to talk to me. Plus I was just curious if this is just "normal" and if he will just stay like this from now on. 18.104.22.168 21:19, 7 March 2014 (GMT)
Talking to Brynjolf
Brynjolf giving me the cold shoulder bugged me too. So I made a mod. I spent months re-cutting all his dialogue, so it's fully voiced. Look for "Brynjolf has time for You" on steam.
Morality "no crimes"
- It's purely a technicality, and would only be a problem if he was a permanent follower (ie you could instruct him to do things). A sample of the other members looks like they are all in the same position. The ones in the Flagon are probably like that because you can go there without being a member, and it would be wrong if they didn't report you for committing crimes against them, but can't say why the ones in the Cistern are like that, though it won't matter except if you try anything on one of them (pickpocket, etc). Silence is GoldenBreak the Silence 21:22, 31 March 2018 (UTC)