Skyrim talk:A False Front (Imperial)
A sneak perspective
After speaking with the Legate, my quest marker showed up on Nightgate Inn, so apparently you don't have to visit both locations.
I went through the Inn on sneak (with my follower parked by the door) and couldn't find anything on anyone. Then I realized that the quest marker was actually on someone OUTSIDE the Inn....but so very close to the Inn that the search target was superimposed on the Inn itself. So, I got to watch him run up to the Inn and enter. I was in sneak at the time so I had to dash after him. Once he got inside, he walked into a room to the left of the Innkeeper, and then almost immediately turned around and headed back outside again and turned to the left. I pickpockted the papers indoors near the Innkeep's desk.
So...if you want to cut this guy down, an outdoors ambush may be the way to go. Otherwise, wait inside and be ready to pickpocket. Oshaugm 00:48, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
What does the killing the courier counting as murder have to do with the Dark Brotherhood questline? I think whoever posted that was confusing Skyrim with Oblivion. I'm going to remove it for now. If anyone's got a reason it should stay listed just put it back in. Lord Eydvar 02:22, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- You'll be fine deleting it. That is indeed incorrect information, so it doesn't need to be on the page. SnowmaneT•E•C 02:24, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
After several tries I figured out how to do this without murder, theft, or assault. First get a follower. Wait until the courier is close by, dismiss the follower. He should leave your service and start walking back. Talk to the courier and get her to attack. Your follower should kill the courier but since he is not in your service you will get no crime record. Try doing it outside or innocent NPC's may get killed if you try this in the inn. An alternate method is to lure the courier to a bandit camp to get killed. — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 12 March 2012
- All I had to do was head from NightGate Inn, to intercept the courier on their way back to the inn, and a pack of wolves with an ice wraith took care of them for me. Only had to loot the orders.— Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 16:51 on 24 June 2012
I had no problem killing the courier without it counting as a murder. All you got to do is talk to the courier and tell him you're taking the documents and he'll attack you first.--RumblePen (talk) 16:22, 16 September 2012 (GMT)
- I don't know whether it counted as murder on my stats, but when we were in the Nightgate Inn, and he attacked me first, once I killed him everyone acted like it was murder (they attacked me). Is that supposed to happen? I ended up just reloading and waiting till he went outside so that I didn't have to deal with that. Alarra (talk) 03:33, 18 September 2012 (GMT)
- The USKP addresses this bug with the upmcoming release (which is still in beta). This bug is due to CWCourierSons being part of a guard-related faction. --Blackpete (talk) 09:44, 4 May 2014 (GMT)
Forged Orders Remain in Inventory
I delivered the papers and got the audio dialog where he confirms the false information by reading the document. But I noticed as I finished a much later stage of the quest (Compelling Tribute) those papers are still in my inventory under miscellaneous. I can't equip or drop them. King Mango (talk) 04:59, 1 December 2012 (GMT)
- Hmm... You are having a lot of trouble with the Imperial quests. I did them all a number of times and had no such trouble, so I'm curious. I replied to your Fort Kastav quest issue here. If you can answer the questions there, I might (maybe!) have some better luck trying to replicate or research your issues. I would ask most of the same basic questions here. Also, I forgot to ask if you started or completed "Season Unending," and if so, can you describe the major outcome(s) of that?
- For this issue in particular, you should be able to solve the "surface" issue by using the
removeitem <item ID> <count>in this particular case,
player.removeitem dc52e 1. --JR (talk) 05:56, 1 December 2012 (GMT)
- They seem to be of no problem as of yet. Now I can drop them after just having finished the Rescue From Fort Kastav leg of the questline. I'm now assembling with the troops in anticipation of taking Eastmarch. So far it was just the one character that had problems. So second time seems to be the charm up to this point. Although come to think of it, I ditched Lydia as soon as I could get Mjoll this time around.
- Actually I just had a thought. It could possibly have to do with the bag of holding. I may have had it stashed as I usually stash all my miscellaneous items. Some items it won't let you stash but others it appears it does. I noticed also that I had Meridia's Beacon stashed earlier tonight. Maybe I'll try to replicate this problem myself at some point with this idea in mind. :cheers:King Mango (talk) 08:06, 1 December 2012 (GMT)