Skyrim Very Special Edition/Dungeons
|This page or section is incomplete. You can help by adding to it.
there are probably still missing messages, especially for healing
For more information, see the help files, the style guide, and this article's .
This page contains all information about the dungeons you visit in Skyrim Very Special Edition. You arrive at a dungeon whenever you accept a quest and can choose whether you want to enter. In the dungeon, you navigate through a series of paths and encounter enemies along the way.
- 1 General
- 2 Abandoned Fort
- 3 Dense Forest
- 4 Haunted Cave
- 5 Misty Mountain
When you accept a quest, the text that comes after is always, "You follow the quest marker to your destination." Then you hear a description of its exterior, which depends on the dungeon type. These are listed further down the page under each dungeon's Arrive section. The description ends with one of the following questions, to which you must answer "Yes" or "No":
- "Are you ready to face the peril ahead?"
- "Do you charge into danger?"
- "Do you wish to proceed?"
- "Will you press forward on your quest?"
- "Will you venture in?"
If you answer yes, you encounter your first enemy. Otherwise, you start traveling again to find another quest.
Once you defeat an enemy or flee successfully, you get to choose where to go. This choice has no effect on gameplay.[verification needed — does it affect enemy type?] The possible paths depend on the dungeon type and are found in each dungeon's Paths section.
- "There are two paths before you: [a/an] <Path 1> and [a/an] <Path 2>. Which do you choose?"
- "There are two ways forward: [a/an] <Path 1> and [a/an] <Path 2>. Which do you choose?"
- "There are three paths forward: [a/an] <Path 1>, [a/an] <Path 2>, and [a/an] <Path 3>. Which do you choose?"
You then hear a description of your surroundings, which again depends on the dungeon type. These are listed under each dungeon's Next Path section.
Instead of facing an enemy, you may find something in the dungeon that heals you for 50 points. These messages also depend on dungeon type and are found in each dungeon's Healing section.
These messages are used when you are about to face the dungeon's boss. They come after the Next Path text.
- "A few guards patrol the walls. Conveniently, their walking patterns appear to be predictable. You sneak past easily."
- "It looks like there's a secret entrance around the side somewhere. But let's be honest here, you're just going to walk right the front door anyway."
- "Looks like an old Storm Cloak outpost. As you may have heard, they say Ulfric Storm Cloak murdered the High King... with his voice!"
- "Stone Nord statues glare down at you from atop the entrance to a battered, old fortress."
- "The fort looks like it was once occupied by bandits. Judging from the bottles lying around, it appears they were fans of black briar mead."
- "The fort looks like it was once occupied by bandits. Judging from the bottles lying around, they were drunken bandits."
- "There's not much here, besides a few dead Imperials and some odd-looking footprints. You follow these tracks into the fort."
- "You come to a crumbling old fortress. Sharpened pikes barricade the entrance against mounted attacks."
- "You pass through an old wooden door. Cobwebbed rubble covers the ground before you."
- "You step over some debris and notice this is an old Nordic ruin. You wonder if they are the friendly kind of Nords, or the unfriendly kind."
- "You stop in front of an old fortress, scanning the battlements for danger but find none. You're either lucky or walking into an ambush."
- "Your quest brings you to a fortress, battered by the northern cold. This would make a fine hideout for bandits, you realize."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the fort."
- "A skeever roasts on the hearth. You and take a big bite of the charred rodent, restoring your health to <Health>."
- "There's a chest in front of you. After the lock, you find a healing potion inside. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "There's a cooking spit up ahead. You prepare some apple and cabbage stew. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You discover an alchemist's station and a small collection of ingredients sitting on a shelf. Why not put this to use? Your health is <Health>."
- "You see a table with some sweet rolls. This time, you will steal the sweet roll. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You pull a lever and a path opens to the fort's entrance. How convenient!"
- "At the entrance to the forest, you see a cooking spit. Looks like someone had some apple and cabbage stew."
- "Have you been in these woods before? You can't remember."
- "Rabbits scatter as you enter the forest. You wonder why they are even in the game."
- "The forest looks tranquil and calm. What could go wrong?"
- "The sun peeks through the forest canopy and the resulting god rays tank your frame rate."
- "The trees look ominous. At least it's not as scary as Witchmist Grove."
- "The woods are humid and cold. This would be a perfect place to gather Fly Amanita, if you had any idea what it was for."
- "When you approach the forest, you see a bear fighting with two wolves. They don't seem to notice you."
- "Wind rustles the trees. You start to suspect that Khajiit traveler gave you the wrong directions."
- "You are surrounded by a misty grove near a lake. It may just be your imagination, but some of the trees seem to be glaring at you."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the forest."
- "There's a chest in front of you. You open it to find a healing potion and drink it immediately. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You cross paths with a wandering Vigilant of Stendarr. He offers to heal your wounds in exchange for listening to his sermon. Instead, you pick his pocket, steal a potion, and run. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You notice a potion sitting on a riverbank and pull it from the muck, shrug and gulp it down. Nobody said was easy. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You realize the path through the forest loops back to where you started your quest. That would have been good to know earlier."
- "A sprawling cave lies before you. You grab a few mushrooms and head in."
- "An ominous cave looms in front of you. You try to ignore the odd groaning sounds coming from inside."
- "It's not clear where this cave will take you. You really don't have time for it to be Blackreach."
- "Some imp stools are growing around the cave. You'll probably never use them but that doesn't stop you from picking them up."
- "The cave in front of you seems quiet. Perhaps too quiet."
- "The cave is dark. Gloomy. You take out one of the lit torches you keep in your pack and proceed."
- "The cave lies before you. You get a feeling someone - or something - is watching you."
- "The entrance to the cave is littered with bottles of skooma. Looks like some Khajiit were selling wares here."
- "You approach the entrance. A cool breeze rises from its depths."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the cave."
- "As you head deeper into the cave, you discover a chest with a healing potion inside. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "Dozens of cheese wheels are scattered around the room. You eat all of them with reckless abandon. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "There is an abandoned feast just lying on a table. It's not one of Lydia's home cooked meals, but it will do. You heal to <Health> health."
- "There's a cooking spit in the cavern ahead. You prepare some stew. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You discover a shrine to Meridia. The goddess rewards your noble deeds by restoring your life force. Your health is now at <Health>. You thank her, humbly."
- "You see a barrel filled to the brim with raw potatoes. You have no choice but to eat them all in one sitting. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You hop down a ledge and find yourself at the cave's entrance. Neat!"
- "A glistening aurora fills the sky with brilliant color."
- "A glistening aurora fills the sky with brilliant color. Those shader packs were worth the download for sure."
- "A great mountain stands before you."
- "Conditions on your footpath look bleak. This is a mountain only a greybeard could love."
- "Red and blue flowers adorn the rocky base. You would pick one, but you already have ninety-nine."
- "Storm clouds swirl overhead menacingly."
- "The peaks of Skyrim seem to touch the sky."
- "The stars are clearly visible above. You can almost remember all thirteen constellations."
- "This mountain looks dangerous. One misstep could spell disaster."
- "Wind whips around the mountain. Looks like a long way to the top."
- "You begin to ascend the steep mountain with your compass perfectly aligned with your objective. This doesn't work. You begin up the path."
- "You can either take the path in front of you or try to take many small hops up the sheer rock face. Let's take the path this time."
- "You gaze up at the darkened sky. Is that the mage or apprentice you see?"
- "Your pack weighs heavy as you start to climb. You almost wish Lydia was here to carry your burdens. Almost."
- "Your stomach growls loudly as you begin your climb. If only someone hadn't stolen your last sweet roll."
These usually begin with, "You venture further up the mountain."
- "You cross paths with a wandering Vigilant of Stendarr. He offers to heal your wounds in exchange for listening to his sermon. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You find a chest buried in the snow. Inside is a healing potion. You drink it and heal 50 hit points."
- "You find an old alchemist's pouch half buried in the snow. You open it to find a healing potion. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You realize you still have a healing potion leftover from an alchemy session a few days back. You drink it and your health is now at <Health>."
- "You made it all the way around the mountain back to where you began. Funny how walking in a circle will do that."