|This page or section is incomplete. You can help by adding to it.
there are probably still missing messages, especially for healing
For more information, see the help files, the style guide, and this article's talk page.
This page contains all information about the dungeons you visit in Skyrim Very Special Edition. You arrive at a dungeon whenever you accept a quest and can choose whether you want to enter. In the dungeon, you navigate through a series of paths and encounter enemies along the way.
There are four different dungeons, each with its own set of messages: Abandoned Fort, Dense Forest, Haunted Cave, and Misty Mountain.
When you accept a quest, the text that comes after is always, "You follow the quest marker to your destination." Then you hear a description of its exterior, which depends on the dungeon type. These are listed further down the page under each dungeon's Arrive section. The description ends with one of the following questions, to which you must answer "Yes" or "No":
- "Are you ready to face the peril ahead?"
- "Do you charge into danger?"
- "Do you wish to proceed?"
- "Will you press forward on your quest?"
- "Will you venture in?"
If you answer yes, you encounter your first enemy. Otherwise, you start traveling again to find another quest.
Once you defeat an enemy or flee successfully, you get to choose where to go. This choice has no effect on gameplay.[verification needed — does it affect enemy type?] The possible paths depend on the dungeon type and are found in each dungeon's Paths section.
- "There are two paths before you: [a/an] <Path 1> and [a/an] <Path 2>. Which do you choose?"
- "There are two ways forward: [a/an] <Path 1> and [a/an] <Path 2>. Which do you choose?"
- "There are three paths forward: [a/an] <Path 1>, [a/an] <Path 2>, and [a/an] <Path 3>. Which do you choose?"
You then hear a description of your surroundings, which again depends on the dungeon type. These are listed under each dungeon's Next Path section.
Instead of facing an enemy, you may find something in the dungeon that heals you for 50 points. These messages also depend on dungeon type and are found in each dungeon's Healing section.
These messages are used when you are about to face the dungeon's boss. They come after the Next Path text.
- "A great danger lies ahead. You pray to the divines but hear nothing in response."
- "A low rumble is coming from up ahead. That's unsettling."
- "A shiver runs down your spine. And it's not from the cold."
- "As you venture forward, the ground begins to shake perceptively. Looks like trouble."
- "Dovahkiin! Dovahkiin! Naal ok zin los vahriin! Wah dein! vokul!mahfaeraak ahst vaal! Sorry about that, I was just trying to set the scene before your boss battle."
- "It looks like your quest is nearing completion. One more challenge awaits."
- "One battle left to fight. Victory or Sovngarde!"
- "One more fight. May the Nine watch over you."
- "One more fight. This could be tough."
- "One more foe left to slay. This is it."
- "Sensing danger, you open your inventory searching for potions but find none."
- "Suddenly, a chill runs up your spine. There's great danger ahead."
- "The danger is almost palpable now. Your quest will be over soon, one way or another."
- "The sounds emanating from up ahead leave you unsettled. Something large and powerful is moving."
- "There's trouble ahead. You wish you brought a companion."
- "Whether man or beast, your next foe will taste your blade before the night is done."
- "You adjust your armor and crack your knuckles before readying a spell in each hand."
- "You begin to get the feeling that something large and dangerous is ahead."
- "You crouch down and sneak through the shadows. Whatever's ahead, you're going to hit it before it hits you."
- "You meditate before the last battle, dreaming of maidens and fields of wheat waiting for harvest."
- "You mentally prepare yourself for the final battle ahead."
- "You ready a spell in your hand, anticipating the threat ahead. Then again, you had better dual cast it."
- "You ready your Thu'um for the final battle."
- "You say a prayer to Talos before venturing forward."
- "You sharpen your blade, preparing for the last battle."
- "You stand motionless for a moment, listening. Something's waiting for you."
- "Your nerves go on edge. There must be danger ahead."
- "Your quest is nearly finished. You check your weapon one last time as you prepare for the final battle."
- "You're nearly finished here, you realize. Of course, the hardest battle is yet to come."
- "A few guards patrol the walls. Conveniently, their walking patterns appear to be predictable. You sneak past easily."
- "It looks like there's a secret entrance around the side somewhere. But let's be honest here, you're just going to walk right the front door anyway."
- "Looks like an old Storm Cloak outpost. As you may have heard, they say Ulfric Storm Cloak murdered the High King... with his voice!"
- "Stone Nord statues glare down at you from atop the entrance to a battered, old fortress."
- "The fort looks like it was once occupied by bandits. Judging from the bottles lying around, it appears they were fans of black briar mead."
- "The fort looks like it was once occupied by bandits. Judging from the bottles lying around, they were drunken bandits."
- "There's not much here, besides a few dead Imperials and some odd-looking footprints. You follow these tracks into the fort."
- "You come to a crumbling old fortress. Sharpened pikes barricade the entrance against mounted attacks."
- "You pass through an old wooden door. Cobwebbed rubble covers the ground before you."
- "You step over some debris and notice this is an old Nordic ruin. You wonder if they are the friendly kind of Nords, or the unfriendly kind."
- "You stop in front of an old fortress, scanning the battlements for danger but find none. You're either lucky or walking into an ambush."
- "Your quest brings you to a fortress, battered by the northern cold. This would make a fine hideout for bandits, you realize."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the fort."
- "A bear skin rug stares up at you from the floor."
- "A caldron [sic] simmers over a crackling fire. Smells good."
- "A large brazier fills the room with firelight."
- "A large weapon rack rests against the stone wall."
- "A lonely wooden bucket sits on the ground. What did that once contain?"
- "A rusty chandelier dangles from the ceiling."
- "A skeever roasts on a spit in the hearth, unattended."
- "A stone bridge leads to a wide platform."
- "A stuffed moose head is nailed to the wall. Impressive."
- "A stuffed moose head is nailed to the wall. Waste of good leather, you think to yourself."
- "Candle light flickers across the walls."
- "Cobwebbed rubble covers the floor."
- "Old wooden shelves rest against the wall. On them are an array of alchemical ingredients."
- "Several fur covered beds rest against the walls."
- "Stone Nordh [sic] statues line the walls. Who were these warriors, you wonder?"
- "The first thing you see is a table filled with ancient cheese wheels - they obviously didn't starve to death."
- "The room is dimly lit by tall candles."
- "The trail of blood across the floor dampens the mood quite a bit."
- "The walls still serve their purpose, even after years of neglect."
- "Wild game hang from the ceiling, several days' worth of trapping no doubt."
- "You come to a long banquet hall. The table is set but the guests are just bones."
- "You enter a dusty corridor lined with cages. None of the prisoners made it out alive."
- "You enter the [sic] stealthily but the clank of your boots against the stone floor gives you away."
- "You feel the cold dampness of the room seeping into your bones."
- "You pass through a cobweb as you enter the room."
- "You scan the dusty fortress chamber quickly, searching for trouble. And find it."
- "You see a plate covered in coins resting on a table. You accidently [sic] pick up the plate instead of the coins."
- "Your boots clatter on the cobblestone floor."
- "A skeever roasts on the hearth. You shurg [sic] and take a big bite of the charred rodent, restoring your health to <Health>."
- "There's a chest in front of you. After pitching [sic] the lock, you find a healing potion inside. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "There's a cooking spit up ahead. You prepare some apple and cabbage stew. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You discover an alchemist's station and a small collection of ingredients sitting on a shelf. Why not put this to use? Your health is <Health>."
- "You see a table with some sweet rolls. This time, you will steal the sweet roll. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You pull a lever and a path opens to the fort's entrance. How convenient!"
- Black Iron Gate
- Broken Open Gate
- Cobwebbed Passageway
- Crumbling Staircase
- Decoratively Carved Door
- Definitley [sic] Not Booby Trapped Hallway
- Dimly-Lit Hallway
- Foul Smelling Hallway
- Half-Collapsed Archway
- Heavy Wooden Door
- Hidden Staircase
- Metal Banded Door
- Musty Passageway
- Peaked Archway
- Portcullis Gate
- Sagging Wooden Archway
- Scarred Iron Door
- Secret Passageway
- Simple Wooden Gate
- Spiral Staircase
- Stone Archway
- Stone Staircase
- Suspiciously Ordinary Door
- Tall Ancient Archway
- Tapestry-Lined Hallway
- Torchlit Passageway
- Unlocked Gate
- Well-Worn Passageway
- Winding Hallway
- Wooden Staircase
- "At the entrance to the forest, you see a cooking spit. Looks like someone had some apple and cabbage stew."
- "Have you been in these woods before? You can't remember."
- "Rabbits scatter as you enter the forest. You wonder why they are even in the game."
- "The forest looks tranquil and calm. What could go wrong?"
- "The sun peeks through the forest canopy and the resulting god rays tank your frame rate."
- "The trees look ominous. At least it's not as scary as Witchmist Grove."
- "The woods are humid and cold. This would be a perfect place to gather Fly Amanita, if you had any idea what it was for."
- "When you approach the forest, you see a bear fighting with two wolves. They don't seem to notice you."
- "Wind rustles the trees. You start to suspect that Khajiit traveler gave you the wrong directions."
- "You are surrounded by a misty grove near a lake. It may just be your imagination, but some of the trees seem to be glaring at you."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the forest."
- "A hawk circles overhead, no doubt searching for game. Clearly, you're not the only thing on the hunt in these woods."
- "A lonely tower stands crumbling amidst the trees."
- "A set of short bushes encircle a small clearing."
- "A shallow brook divides an open clearing. You'll be easy [sic] visible to your enemies here."
- "An abandoned shack has been overrun by moss and vines."
- "An ancient grove sits in peaceful isolation. Something tells you that peace is about to end."
- "As you move carefully between the trees, you spot something."
- "Birdsong fills the air. Strangely you can hear them, but not see them."
- "Clouds cover the sun and the forest suddenly feels unnerving."
- "Jump across a shallow river and continue on. No time to dry your boots."
- "Rabbits and foxes quickly scatter as you approach. Doesn't matter, you're out of petty soul gems anyway."
- "The ancient forest floor is draped in foliage."
- "The beauty of the forest is offset by the recently mangled corpse of a traveler. You resolve not to share his fate."
- "The canopy of trees sway in the wind, like Nords after too much mead."
- "The forest is vast and flourishing. Unfortunately, its hungry beasts are likely thriving as well."
- "The grove is dark and misty. Seems suspicious, even for this part of the world."
- "The pristine splendor of the forest is marred by the rotten corpse of an adventurer. Cause of death: knee wounds."
- "The smell of rotting leaves fills the air."
- "The sounds of the forest fill your ears. There's danger on the wind."
- "There's an old cabin in the woods with a note pinned to the door. You can't make out what it says."
- "There's Hanging Moss all around but you decide not to gather it."
- "Two fallen trees look recently felled. Must be the work of the local lumberjacks."
- "Two massive trees bend into a natural arch."
- "Water rushes down a small waterfall into a nearby pond."
- "You crouch behind a fallen tree and survey the scene."
- "You enter what appears to be a recently abandoned camp."
- "You hear a rustling of leaves. Something else is here."
- "You look up at the forest canopy. The colors of Skyrim's leaves are dazzling, especially this far south."
- "There's a chest in front of you. You open it to find a healing potion and drink it immediately. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You cross paths with a wandering Vigilant of Stendarr. He offers to heal your wounds in exchange for listening to his sermon. Instead, you pick his pocket, steal a potion, and run. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You notice a potion sitting on a riverbank and pull it from the muck, shrug and gulp it down. Nobody said adverturing [sic] was easy. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You realize the path through the forest loops back to where you started your quest. That would have been good to know earlier."
- Ancestral Grove
- Barren Hill
- Blossoming Grove
- Cobblestone Trail
- Coniferous Glade
- Craggy Hill
- Flooded Evergreen Grove
- Flower-Lined Footpath
- Foggy Deadwood Grove
- Foot-Worn Stone Bridge
- Grassy Footpath
- Magnificent Glade
- Massive Fallen Tree Bridge
- Misty Trail
- Moss-Covered Bridge
- Muddy Footpath
- Mushroom-Lined Trail
- Old Hunting Trail
- Overgrown Footpath
- Rock-Laden Hill
- Root-Covered Hill
- Shady Grove
- Steep Hill
- Stream-Filled Glade
- Suspiciously Quiet Glade
- Thickly Wooded Footpath
- Undisturbed Glade
- Vine-Covered Bridge
- Well-Kept Trail
- Wooden Bridge
- "A sprawling cave lies before you. You grab a few mushrooms and head in."
- "An ominous cave looms in front of you. You try to ignore the odd groaning sounds coming from inside."
- "It's not clear where this cave will take you. You really don't have time for it to be Blackreach."
- "Some imp stools are growing around the cave. You'll probably never use them but that doesn't stop you from picking them up."
- "The cave in front of you seems quiet. Perhaps too quiet."
- "The cave is dark. Gloomy. You take out one of the lit torches you keep in your pack and proceed."
- "The cave lies before you. You get a feeling someone - or something - is watching you."
- "The entrance to the cave is littered with bottles of skooma. Looks like some Khajiit were selling wares here."
- "You approach the entrance. A cool breeze rises from its depths."
These usually begin with, "You move deeper into the cave."
- "A dead deer carcass is rotting in the center of the chamber. Something big has been here recently."
- "A lattice of tree roots covers the floor."
- "A shaft of light cascades downwards through a hole in the ceiling, illuminating the chamber."
- "A waterfall cascades from a shaft above filling the chamber with cool mist."
- "After entering the chamber, you notice a vein of iron oar [sic]. You sigh. If only there were a way to turn it into gold.
- "An old mine cart sits abandoned along the cave's wall. There was once valuable ore down here."
- "Animal tracks appear in the soft mud of the cave floor. These are new."
- "Blisterwort and Fly Amanita mushrooms cover much of the floor."
- "Cobwebs crisscross the walls. The webs are a little too thick for comfort."
- "Cracked pottery lines the walls. Inside, you find bone meal and a single septim."
- "Fresh giant spider eggs sit on the floor. You could swear on [sic] of them moved."
- "Lit candles rest on a rocky ledge. Some [sic] else has been here recently, it seems."
- "Lit torches hang from the walls. Who's maintaining these, you wonder?"
- "Man-sized cocoons dangle from the ceiling."
- "Man-sized cocoons dangle from the ceiling. Ew. Gross."
- "Moss lines the walls of this cavernous chamber."
- "Roots poke through the cave's rocky ceiling and a trickle of fresh water flows down them."
- "Rows of mummified bodies line the walls. At least these dead are resting peacefully."
- "Stalagmites and stalactites line the floor and ceiling, but you can't remember which one is which."
- "The cave's damp odor floods your nostrils...with just a hint of skeever droppings."
- "The dim light of a torch dances softly across the cave walls."
- "The drip drop of trickling water reverberates off the cave's walls."
- "The tunnel narrows as you head deeper into the cave. How long is this quest?"
- "Tripwire is stretched out across your path, but you disarm the trap, proud of yourself."
- "You cast mage light to brighten the chamber illuminating the walls."
- "You examine the twisting tunnels carefully and inspect your map. Easy to get lost down here."
- "You pass carefully over a creaking wooden footbridge. This is no place to twist your ankle."
- "You peer through the darkness, struggling to see, then increase your gamma just a bit."
- "You splash through a shallow river and the cold water sends a chill from your feet to your spine."
- "You squint in the darkness and movement catches your eye. Looks like a fight."
- "Your boots splash softly into cold water as you enter a large chamber."
- "As you head deeper into the cave, you discover a chest with a healing potion inside. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "Dozens of cheese wheels are scattered around the room. You eat all of them with reckless abandon. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "There is an abandoned feast just lying on a table. It's not one of Lydia's home cooked meals, but it will do. You heal to <Health> health."
- "There's a cooking spit in the cavern ahead. You prepare some honker [sic] stew. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You discover a shrine to Meridia. The goddess rewards your noble deeds by restoring your life force. Your health is now at <Health>. You thank her, humbly."
- "You see a barrel filled to the brim with raw potatoes. You have no choice but to eat them all in one sitting. You heal to <Health> health."
- "You hop down a ledge and find yourself at the cave's entrance. Neat!"
- Abandoned Mineshaft
- Barely-Lit Mineshaft
- Bone-Laden Path
- Cracked Oak Door
- Creaking Wooden Door
- Crumbling Mineshaft
- Damp Tunnel
- Decaying Old Door
- Excavated Mineshaft
- Faintly Glowing Tunnel
- Falmer Ladder
- Foggy Deadwood Path
- Low-Ceilinged Corridor
- Makeshift Ladder
- Mine Cart Path
- Mushroom-Covered Tunnel
- Narrow Tunnel
- Partially Collapsed Mineshaft
- Pitch-Black Tunnel
- Rope Ladder
- Rope Walkway to a Corridor
- Rotating Stone Door
- Rusty Hinged Door
- Shadowy Corridor
- Spooky Path
- Sturdy Ladder
- Torchlit Path
- Very Smelly Corridor
- Waterlogged Corridor
- Wooden Ladder
- "A glistening aurora fills the sky with brilliant color."
- "A glistening aurora fills the sky with brilliant color. Those shader packs were worth the download for sure."
- "A great mountain stands before you."
- "Conditions on your footpath look bleak. This is a mountain only a greybeard could love."
- "Red and blue flowers adorn the rocky base. You would pick one, but you already have ninety-nine."
- "Storm clouds swirl overhead menacingly."
- "The peaks of Skyrim seem to touch the sky."
- "The stars are clearly visible above. You can almost remember all thirteen constellations."
- "This mountain looks dangerous. One misstep could spell disaster."
- "Wind whips around the mountain. Looks like a long way to the top."
- "You begin to ascend the steep mountain with your compass perfectly aligned with your objective. This doesn't work. You begin up the path."
- "You can either take the path in front of you or try to take many small hops up the sheer rock face. Let's take the path this time."
- "You gaze up at the darkened sky. Is that the mage or apprentice you see?"
- "Your pack weighs heavy as you start to climb. You almost wish Lydia was here to carry your burdens. Almost."
- "Your stomach growls loudly as you begin your climb. If only someone hadn't stolen your last sweet roll."
These usually begin with, "You venture further up the mountain."
- "A gust of cold wind almost knocks you over."
- "A lone mountain goat races away as you approach."
- "A mist seeps off a nearby frozen waterfall."
- "A narrow bridge of ancient Nordic design stands before you."
- "An icy plateau stretches out before you."
- "An icy wind chills you to the bones."
- "As you ascend further, you catch the scent of juniper berries on the wind. You also smell trouble."
- "As you ascend the mountain's path, a snow fox darts from view."
- "Cut into the mountainside is an ancient shrine. The offerings, however, are fresh."
- "Sniff, sniff. Is that frost troll you smell? No, something else."
- "Snow-covered fir trees line the mountainside."
- "The crunch of your boots in the snow seems to have attracted trouble."
- "The glare of fresh snow leaves you squinting. Perhaps your gamma is turned up too high?"
- "The path slopes steeply upwards. You'd better watch your step."
- "The remnants of a Dragon Temple lay broken around you."
- "The remnants of stone steps dot your path."
- "The steep trail flattens as it wraps around the mountain."
- "The view is now so magnificent you take a screenshot."
- "Trudging through ankle deep snow, you remind yourself to enchant some frost resistance onto your boots the next time you're in town."
- "You arrived at crumbling tower, nearly collapsing under its own ancient weight."
- "You find yourself on a narrow, twisting path."
- "You hear the roar of a mighty dragon...Then again, no you don't. Just the wind."
- "You pass a frozen waterfall. Layers and layers of sharpened ice cascade down from it."
- "You pass an old Nordic shrine to Talos. The Thalmor wouldn't be happy to see this. Then again, the Thalmor aren't here, are they?"
- "You pause for a moment to catch your breath in the thin air."
- "You peer down over the icy precipice and wonder why you ever came to these frozen lands in the first place."
- "Your path widens as you ascend further."
- "You cross paths with a wandering Vigilant of Stendarr. He offers to heal your wounds in exchange for listening to his sermon. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You find a chest buried in the snow. Inside is a healing potion. You drink it and heal 50 hit points."
- "You find an old alchemist's pouch half buried in the snow. You open it to find a healing potion. Your health is now at <Health>."
- "You realize you still have a healing potion leftover from an alchemy session a few days back. You drink it and your health is now at <Health>."
- "You made it all the way around the mountain back to where you began. Funny how walking in a circle will do that."
- Ancient Nordh [sic] Bridge
- Carved Footpath
- Dangerous Detour Trail
- Exposed Ridge
- Frost-Covered Scramble
- Frosted Footpath
- Frozen Ice Bridge
- Icebound Trail
- Icicle Lined Bridge
- Large Boulder Scramble
- Loose Rock Scramble
- Misty Plateau
- Narrow Stone Trail
- Natural Stone Bridge
- Perilous Footpath
- Rickety Wood and Rope Bridge
- Shaded Ridge
- Slippery Rock Scramble
- Snow-Covered Trail
- Snow-Drift Footpath
- Snow-Filled Plateau
- Snowberry-Lined Footpath
- Steep Scramble
- Surprisingly Lush Plateau
- Tree-Lined Trail
- Treeless Plateau
- Wide Ridge
- Winding, Icy Ridge
- Windswept Plateau
- Windy Ridge