Alchemy is the art of brewing potions and poisons by combining ingredients with matching effects, using an Alchemy Lab. Initially, you don't know the effects of ingredients and must discover them by eating ingredients, reading recipes, or brewing them into potions.
Some NPCs (notably alchemists) may offer you basic recipes while conversing. Perks in this skill allow discovering more effects by eating; increase the effectiveness of created potions and poisons; remove the positive effects from poisons and the negative effects from potions; and allow you to gather twice as many ingredients from plants. The alchemy skill tree has 9 perks, requiring 15 perk points to fill. Each level in the alchemy skill increases the effectiveness of crafted potions and poisons by 0.5% for +50% effectiveness at level 100 compared to level 0.
- 1 Summary
- 2 Skill Perks
- 3 Skill Usage
- 4 Skill Increases
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Notes
- 7 Bugs
- 8 External Resources
In-game Description: An alchemist can create magical potions and deadly poisons.
Alchemy is a useful complement to any character style. The most basic potions restore Health, Magicka or Stamina, while poisons cause weapons to inflict greater damage. With a more thorough understanding of the ingredients, you can brew formulas which produce the effects of many magic spells and enchantments. While many potions are available for sale, knowledge of alchemy gives you more flexible, and potentially more powerful, potions than can be bought. Unlike in previous Elder Scrolls games, you cannot carry around alchemy apparatus and make potions on demand, but may only do this at an Alchemy Lab.
|Perk||Rank||Description||ID||Skill Req.||Perk Req.|
|Alchemist||1||Potions and poisons you make are 20% stronger.||000be127|
|2||Potions and poisons you make are 40% stronger.||000c07ca||20 Alchemy|
|3||Potions and poisons you make are 60% stronger.||000c07cb||40 Alchemy|
|4||Potions and poisons you make are 80% stronger.||000c07cc||60 Alchemy|
|5||Potions and poisons you make are twice as strong.||000c07cd||80 Alchemy|
|Physician||Potions you mix that restore Health, Magicka or Stamina are 25% more powerful.||00058215||20 Alchemy||Alchemist|
|Benefactor||Potions you mix with beneficial effects have an additional 25% greater magnitude.||00058216||30 Alchemy||Physician|
|Experimenter||1||Eating an ingredient reveals first two effects.||00058218||50 Alchemy||Benefactor|
|2||Eating an ingredient reveals first three effects.||00105f2a||70 Alchemy|
|3||Eating an ingredient reveals all its effects.||00105f2b||90 Alchemy|
|Poisoner||Poisons you mix are 25% more effective.||00058217||30 Alchemy||Physician|
|Concentrated Poison||Poisons applied to weapons last for twice as many hits.||00105f2f||60 Alchemy||Poisoner|
|Green Thumb||Two ingredients are gathered from plants.†||00105f2e||70 Alchemy||Concentrated Poison|
|Snakeblood||50% resistance to all poisons.||00105f2c||80 Alchemy||Experimenter or Concentrated Poison|
|Purity||All negative effects are removed from created potions, and all positive effects are removed from created poisons.||0005821d||100 Alchemy||Snakeblood‡|
- This bug is fixed by version 126.96.36.199.8 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
Alchemy can only be performed at designated alchemy labs.
To create a potion (or poison) you must combine two or three ingredients which share a magical effect. If the shared effect is a beneficial one (e.g., Restore Health), you create a potion; if the shared effect is a negative one (e.g., Damage Health), you create a poison. Multiple-effect potions can be created if the combined ingredients have more than one effect in common. A list of some useful craftable potions is provided at Useful Potions.
Each ingredient has a total of four available effects. Eating the ingredient always allows you to discover an ingredient's first effect; the Experimenter perk causes additional effects to be discovered when you consume an ingredient. Additional effects can be discovered by experimenting to see what ingredient combinations successfully yield potions. When an ingredient is selected, it will grey out all other ingredients where a combination has previously been attempted and failed. Unlike in Oblivion, your Alchemy level does not affect which effects you can discover or use. When an effect has been identified, the effect will be listed in the Alchemy menu screen, allowing you to sort ingredients by effect.
Your Alchemy skill level, Alchemy perks, and Fortify Alchemy enchantments determine the strength of any potions or poisons that you create (see Alchemy Effects for details). In turn, mixing potions/poisons leads to Alchemy skill increases. The effects of multiple Fortify Skill potions generally do not stack; if you already have a Fortify Enchanting potion in your system, there is no benefit to drinking another. The exception to this rule is Fortify Restoration potions; since Restoration governs all Skills, a Fortify Restoration potion will reinforce any Fortify <Skill> potion if drunk together.
Result = fAlchemyIngredientInitMult x BaseMag x SkillMult x Alchemist Perk[1.0 to 2.0] x Benefactor Perk[1.25] x Physician Perk[1.25] x Poisoner Perk[1.25] x Sum of Enchantments[1.0+] x Seeker of Shadows[1.1]
- fAlchemyIngredientInitMult: 4
- fAlchemySkillFactor: 1.5
- BaseMag: Alchemy effect base magnitude
- SkillMult: 1 + (fAlchemySkillFactor - 1) x Skill / 100
If result < 0, then result = BaseMag
- You can try various recipes found in-game, or you can simply mix ingredients together randomly. A more effective strategy is to notice commonalities between ingredients. Those that grow near each other often have similar effects (such as Purple Mountain Flower + Thistle, or Lavender + Red Mountain Flower + Tundra Cotton). Insects that feed on flowers often have the same effects. Similarities between names (such as, "Frost" and "Snow") also provide a hint. Placement of ingredients in kitchens and display shelves usually indicate they combine with nearby ingredients.
- The Experimenter perk allows you to discover more effects each time you eat an ingredient.
- The 1.9 patch and the Dragonborn add-on both have features that let you clear a Perk Tree and reinvest those perks in other places. So you can get as many perks as you want in Experimenter, eat one of each ingredient, and then clear the Alchemy tree to put those perks elsewhere, giving you all the benefits of this perk without having to waste the 6 perk points it would take to get all the effects.
- The lists below are sets of potion recipes that will efficiently reveal all four effects of every ingredient. Each list has a title with the ingredients it includes; the division is between ingredients from the base game and those added in the official add-ons. There is no assumption that you have identified any effects, even the first one. None of them contain Mort FleshCC, the ingredient added by Plague of the Dead.
|Base Game and Official Add-On Ingredients (73 Potions, 218 Ingredients)|
1. Abecean Longfin + Ash Hopper Jelly + Butterfly Wing 2. Abecean Longfin + Human Flesh + Small Antlers 3. Ancestor Moth Wing + Blue Butterfly Wing + Chaurus Hunter Antennae 4. Ash Creep Cluster + Ashen Grass Pod + Beehive Husk 5. Ash Creep Cluster + Butterfly Wing + Luna Moth Wing 6. Ash Creep Cluster + Cyrodilic Spadetail + Small Pearl 7. Ash Hopper Jelly + Honeycomb + Pearl 8. Ashen Grass Pod + Cyrodilic Spadetail + Namira's Rot 9. Ashen Grass Pod + Hagraven Feathers + Spider Egg 10. Bear Claws + Blue Mountain Flower + Rock Warbler Egg 11. Bear Claws + Falmer Ear + Pine Thrush Egg 12. Bee + Deathbell + Trama Root 13. Bee + Fly Amanita + Honeycomb 14. Beehive Husk + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Wisp Wrappings 15. Beehive Husk + Skeever Tail + Slaughterfish Egg 16. Bleeding Crown + Boar Tusk + Lavender 17. Bleeding Crown + Chaurus Eggs + Ice Wraith Teeth 18. Blisterwort + Boar Tusk + Giant's Toe 19. Blisterwort + Butterfly Wing + Spriggan Sap 20. Blue Dartwing + Imp Stool + Swamp Fungal Pod 21. Blue Dartwing + Namira's Rot + Nordic Barnacle 22. Blue Mountain Flower + Frost Salts + Moon Sugar 23. Blue Mountain Flower + Hagraven Feathers + Human Heart 24. Boar Tusk + Fly Amanita + Slaughterfish Scales 25. Bone Meal + Cyrodilic Spadetail + Skeever Tail 26. Bone Meal + Lavender + Spawn Ash 27. Briar Heart + Human Flesh + Tundra Cotton 28. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Grass Pod + Juniper Berries 29. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Poison Bloom + River Betty 30. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Snowberries + Spriggan Sap 31. Butterfly Wing + Dragon's Tongue + Fly Amanita 32. Butterfly Wing + Human Heart + Small Antlers 33. Canis Root + Deathbell + Imp Stool 34. Canis Root + Hanging Moss + Spider Egg 35. Charred Skeever Hide + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Mudcrab Chitin 36. Chaurus Eggs + Garlic + Luna Moth Wing 37. Chicken's Egg + Hawk's Egg + Nightshade
38. Creep Cluster + Giant's Toe + Rock Warbler Egg 39. Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota 40. Crimson Nirnroot + Nirnroot + Void Salts 41. Daedra Heart + Eye of Sabre Cat + Silverside Perch 42. Daedra Heart + Poison Bloom + Trama Root 43. Deathbell + Giant Lichen + Pearl 44. Dragon's Tongue + Hawk Beak + Scaly Pholiota 45. Dwarven Oil + Jazbay Grapes + Taproot 46. Ectoplasm + Nightshade + Red Mountain Flower 47. Elves Ear + Fire Salts + Moon Sugar 48. Elves Ear + Juniper Berries + Skeever Tail 49. Emperor Parasol Moss + Falmer Ear + Troll Fat 50. Emperor Parasol Moss + Histcarp + Nordic Barnacle 51. Frost Mirriam + Powdered Mammoth Tusk + Silverside Perch 52. Frost Mirriam + Scathecraw + Skeever Tail 53. Garlic + Salt Pile + Yellow Mountain Flower 54. Giant Lichen + Jazbay Grapes + Void Salts 55. Gleamblossom + Juniper Berries + Powdered Mammoth Tusk 56. Gleamblossom + Netch Jelly + Wisp Wrappings 57. Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom + Hanging Moss 58. Glowing Mushroom + Pine Thrush Egg + Sabre Cat Tooth 59. Grass Pod + Ice Wraith Teeth + White Cap 60. Grass Pod + Sabre Cat Tooth + Thistle Branch 61. Hagraven Claw + Purple Mountain Flower + Spawn Ash 62. Hagraven Claw + Torchbug Thorax + Tundra Cotton 63. Hawk Beak + Mudcrab Chitin + Snowberries 64. Hawk Feathers + Luna Moth Wing + Vampire Dust 65. Hawk Feathers + Purple Mountain Flower + Small Pearl 66. Histcarp + Large Antlers + Salmon Roe 67. Imp Stool + Mora Tapinella + Skeever Tail 68. Large Antlers + Salt Pile + Torchbug Thorax 69. Orange Dartwing + Red Mountain Flower + Vampire Dust 70. Orange Dartwing + Slaughterfish Egg + Torchbug Thorax 71. Salmon Roe + Taproot 72. Scathecraw + Slaughterfish Scales + Thistle Branch 73. Swamp Fungal Pod + Wheat + Yellow Mountain Flower
List of needed ingredients:
Butterfly Wing, Skeever Tail
Ash Creep Cluster, Ashen Grass Pod, Beehive Husk, Blue Mountain Flower, Boar Tusk, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Deathbell, Fly Amanita, Grass Pod, Imp Stool, Juniper Berries, Luna Moth Wing, Torchbug Thorax
Abecean Longfin, Ash Hopper Jelly, Bear Claws, Bee, Bleeding Crown, Blisterwort, Blue Dartwing, Bone Meal, Canis Root, Chaurus Eggs, Creep Cluster, Daedra Heart, Dragon's Tongue, Elves Ear, Emperor Parasol Moss, Falmer Ear, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Frost Mirriam, Garlic, Giant Lichen, Giant's Toe, Gleamblossom, Glowing Mushroom, Hagraven Claw, Hagraven Feathers, Hanging Moss, Hawk Beak, Hawk Feathers, Histcarp, Honeycomb, Human Flesh, Human Heart, Ice Wraith Teeth, Jazbay Grapes, Large Antlers, Lavender, Moon Sugar, Mora Tapinella, Mudcrab Chitin, Namira's Rot, Nightshade, Nordic Barnacle, Orange Dartwing, Pearl, Pine Thrush Egg, Poison Bloom, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Purple Mountain Flower, Red Mountain Flower, Rock Warbler Egg, Sabre Cat Tooth, Salmon Roe, Salt Pile, Scaly Pholiota, Scathecraw, Silverside Perch, Slaughterfish Egg, Slaughterfish Scales, Small Antlers, Small Pearl, Snowberries, Spawn Ash, Spider Egg, Spriggan Sap, Swamp Fungal Pod, Taproot, Thistle Branch, Trama Root, Tundra Cotton, Vampire Dust, Void Salts, Wisp Wrappings, Yellow Mountain Flower
Ancestor Moth Wing, Blue Butterfly Wing, Briar Heart, Charred Skeever Hide, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Chicken's Egg, Crimson Nirnroot, Dwarven Oil, Ectoplasm, Eye of Sabre Cat, Fire Salts, Frost Salts, Glow Dust, Hawk's Egg, Netch Jelly, Nirnroot, River Betty, Troll Fat, Wheat, White Cap
|Base Game Ingredients (63 Potions, 188 Ingredients)|
1. Abecean Longfin + Bleeding Crown + Powdered Mammoth Tusk 2. Abecean Longfin + Cyrodilic Spadetail + Giant's Toe 3. Abecean Longfin + Human Flesh + White Cap 4. Bear Claws + Eye of Sabre Cat + Hanging Moss 5. Bee + Bone Meal + Fly Amanita 6. Bee + Histcarp + Void Salts 7. Beehive Husk + Ectoplasm + Grass Pod 8. Beehive Husk + Hawk Feathers + Small Pearl 9. Bleeding Crown + Jazbay Grapes + Tundra Cotton 10. Blisterwort + Blue Butterfly Wing + Spriggan Sap 11. Blisterwort + Butterfly Wing + Hagraven Feathers 12. Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower + Wheat 13. Blue Dartwing + Daedra Heart + Nordic Barnacle 14. Blue Dartwing + Pine Thrush Egg + Spider Egg 15. Bone Meal + Crimson Nirnroot + Lavender 16. Briar Heart + Hagraven Claw + Tundra Cotton 17. Briar Heart + Hawk Beak + Pearl 18. Briar Heart + Purple Mountain Flower + Swamp Fungal Pod 19. Butterfly Wing + Dragon's Tongue + Small Antlers 20. Canis Root + Imp Stool + Rock Warbler Egg 21. Canis Root + Namira's Rot + Spider Egg 22. Charred Skeever Hide + Mudcrab Chitin + Swamp Fungal Pod 23. Chaurus Eggs + Eye of Sabre Cat + Giant Lichen 24. Chaurus Eggs + Garlic + Luna Moth Wing 25. Chicken's Egg + Juniper Berries + Nordic Barnacle 26. Chicken's Egg + Nightshade + Wisp Wrappings 27. Creep Cluster + Dwarven Oil + Taproot 28. Creep Cluster + Ice Wraith Teeth + Juniper Berries 29. Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota 30. Crimson Nirnroot + Nirnroot + Void Salts 31. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Jazbay Grapes + Salt Pile 32. Cyrodilic Spadetail + Powdered Mammoth Tusk + Small Pearl
33. Daedra Heart + Juniper Berries + Namira's Rot 34. Deathbell + Salt Pile + Small Antlers 35. Deathbell + Thistle Branch 36. Dragon's Tongue + Dwarven Oil + Fly Amanita 37. Dwarven Oil + Garlic + Slaughterfish Egg 38. Ectoplasm + Red Mountain Flower + White Cap 39. Elves Ear + Fire Salts + Juniper Berries 40. Eye of Sabre Cat + Rock Warbler Egg + Torchbug Thorax 41. Falmer Ear + Fly Amanita + Troll Fat 42. Falmer Ear + Human Heart + Spider Egg 43. Fire Salts + Frost Salts + Moon Sugar 44. Frost Mirriam + Grass Pod + Spriggan Sap 45. Frost Mirriam + Purple Mountain Flower + Silverside Perch 46. Frost Salts + Giant Lichen + Hagraven Feathers 47. Giant's Toe + Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom 48. Giant's Toe + River Betty + Skeever Tail 49. Glow Dust + Human Heart + Nightshade 50. Glowing Mushroom + Pine Thrush Egg + Sabre Cat Tooth 51. Grass Pod + Large Antlers + River Betty 52. Hagraven Claw + Snowberries + Swamp Fungal Pod 53. Hawk Beak + Small Pearl + Wisp Wrappings 54. Hawk Feathers + Luna Moth Wing + Vampire Dust 55. Histcarp + Juniper Berries + Nordic Barnacle 56. Honeycomb + Silverside Perch + Skeever Tail 57. Honeycomb + Slaughterfish Scales + Thistle Branch 58. Human Flesh + Imp Stool + Mora Tapinella 59. Ice Wraith Teeth + Vampire Dust + White Cap 60. Large Antlers + Torchbug Thorax + Wheat 61. Lavender + Orange Dartwing + Slaughterfish Egg 62. Mudcrab Chitin + Snowberries + Thistle Branch 63. Orange Dartwing + Sabre Cat Tooth + Slaughterfish Scales
List of needed ingredients:
Abecean Longfin, Briar Heart, Creep Cluster, Cyrodilic Spadetail, Dwarven Oil, Eye of Sabre Cat, Fly Amanita, Giant's Toe, Grass Pod, Nordic Barnacle, Small Pearl, Spider Egg, Swamp Fungal Pod, Thistle Branch, White Cap
Bee, Beehive Husk, Bleeding Crown, Blisterwort, Blue Butterfly Wing, Blue Dartwing, Bone Meal, Butterfly Wing, Canis Root, Chaurus Eggs, Chicken's Egg, Crimson Nirnroot, Daedra Heart, Deathbell, Dragon's Tongue, Ectoplasm, Falmer Ear, Fire Salts, Frost Mirriam, Frost Salts, Garlic, Giant Lichen, Glow Dust, Glowing Mushroom, Hagraven Claw, Hagraven Feathers, Hawk Beak, Hawk Feathers, Histcarp, Honeycomb, Human Flesh, Human Heart, Ice Wraith Teeth, Imp Stool, Jazbay Grapes, Large Antlers, Lavender, Luna Moth Wing, Mora Tapinella, Mudcrab Chitin, Namira's Rot, Nightshade, Orange Dartwing, Pine Thrush Egg, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Purple Mountain Flower, River Betty, Rock Warbler Egg, Sabre Cat Tooth, Salt Pile, Silverside Perch, Skeever Tail, Slaughterfish Egg, Slaughterfish Scales, Small Antlers, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap, Torchbug Thorax, Tundra Cotton, Vampire Dust, Void Salts, Wheat, Wisp Wrappings
Bear Claws, Blue Mountain Flower, Charred Skeever Hide, Elves Ear, Hanging Moss, Moon Sugar, Nirnroot, Pearl, Red Mountain Flower, Scaly Pholiota, Taproot, Troll Fat
|Official Add-On Ingredients (18 Potions, 54 Ingredients)|
1. Ancestor Moth Wing + Ash Creep Cluster + Chaurus Hunter Antennae 2. Ash Creep Cluster + Ashen Grass Pod + Beehive Husk 3. Ash Creep Cluster + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Vampire Dust 4. Ash Hopper Jelly + Elves Ear + Swamp Fungal Pod 5. Ash Hopper Jelly + Felsaad Tern Feathers + Gleamblossom 6. Ashen Grass Pod + Namira's Rot + Trama Root 7. Boar Tusk + Falmer Ear + Yellow Mountain Flower 8. Boar Tusk + Slaughterfish Scales + Torchbug Thorax 9. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Chaurus Hunter Antennae + River Betty 10. Burnt Spriggan Wood + Moon Sugar + Salmon Roe 11. Chicken's Egg + Hawk's Egg + Salmon Roe 12. Emperor Parasol Moss + Fly Amanita + Poison Bloom 13. Emperor Parasol Moss + Gleamblossom + Netch Jelly 14. Emperor Parasol Moss + Netch Jelly + Salmon Roe 15. Frost Mirriam + Small Pearl + Yellow Mountain Flower 16. Giant Lichen + Scathecraw + Slaughterfish Scales 17. Netch Jelly + Poison Bloom + Trama Root 18. Scathecraw + Snowberries + Spawn Ash
List of needed ingredients:
Ash Creep Cluster, Emperor Parasol Moss, Netch Jelly, Salmon Roe
Ash Hopper Jelly, Ashen Grass Pod, Boar Tusk, Burnt Spriggan Wood, Chaurus Hunter Antennae, Felsaad Tern Feathers, Gleamblossom, Poison Bloom, Scathecraw, Slaughterfish Scales, Trama Root, Yellow Mountain Flower
Ancestor Moth Wing, Beehive Husk, Chicken's Egg, Elves Ear, Falmer Ear, Fly Amanita, Frost Mirriam, Giant Lichen, Hawk's Egg, Moon Sugar, Namira's Rot, River Betty, Small Pearl, Snowberries, Spawn Ash, Swamp Fungal Pod, Torchbug Thorax, Vampire Dust
Buying Many Ingredients Efficiently
The simplest way to get any vendor to restock is to save the game, attack the merchant, and then reload. This will reset both the merchant's inventory as well as their gold available.
If you prefer a method that doesn't rely on a glitch, ingredient shops replenish their stocks every 48 hours. Markarth is exactly 25.5 hours away from Riften, so fast traveling from Markarth to Riften will make sure you get into town during the same time you left plus 1.5 hours, a day later. Thus, you can create a 51-hour round trip circuit between the two cities if you have large amounts of materials to buy or sell. This will cut down on your waiting for shops to be open if you arrive after business hours.
The following races have an initial skill bonus to Alchemy:
- Lami in Morthal (Common)
- Arcadia in Whiterun (Expert)
- Milore IenthDB in Raven Rock (Expert)
- Babette in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary (Master)
- De Rerum Dirennis
- A Game at Dinner
- Herbalist's Guide to Skyrim
- Mannimarco, King of Worms
- Song of the Alchemists
- +1 Alchemy reward for completing the quest Rare Gifts by bringing the book Song of the Alchemists to Lami. Reading this skill book can also provide +1 Alchemy.
- +1 Alchemy reward for completing the quest Dungeon Delving (Caves) by finding the Ring of Pure Mixtures for Frida in Dawnstar.
- +1 Alchemy reward (as well as +1 to all other stealth skills) from Inge Six Fingers (Bards College) for completing the quest Finn's Lute.
- +5 Alchemy reward (as well as +5 to all other stealth skills) by selecting "The Path of Shadow" from the Oghma Infinium after completing the quest Discerning the Transmundane.
Gaining Skill XP
- Alchemy experience gains are proportional to the gold cost of the potion being brewed. Details of the gold cost calculation are provided at Alchemy Effects.
- Fortify Alchemy enchanted apparel (Hand/Head/Ring/Amulet) with a high combined bonus (+100% or more) greatly increases the effectiveness of alchemy training. It is recommended to level Enchanting first for this purpose. +100% means double the value and thus twice as much skill XP per potion brewed.
- Get the Alchemist, Physician, Benefactor and Poisoner perks as soon as they unlock while training.
- The most expensive single effects (using standard ingredients) are Paralyze, Damage Magicka Regen, Invisibility, and Slow. Since the effect costs are additive, a potion with more effects may have higher sell value than a potion with only one of these high value effects.
- Using the Giant's Toe ingredient to create a Fortify Health potion results in potions that cost 5.9 times more than standard Fortify Health potions, therefore those potions are more valuable than Paralyze potions. This means that the most expensive potions (resulting in maximum XP gain) will always include Giant's Toe in some way. For example, according to this app, the highest value potions that you can create will be:
- With the Hearthfire add-on, Salmon Roe (when used to create a water breathing potion) is far more valuable than Giant's Toe for creating the most expensive potions, but that ingredient is very hard to obtain in large quantities. The reason for its value is that the Fortify Magicka and Waterbreathing duration values appear to have been swapped with one another, as Fortify Magicka is normally 60 seconds, while Waterbreathing is normally 5. In particular, combining Salmon Roe, Histcarp and any ingredient containing Regenerate Magicka creates the most valuable potion that can be crafted. A particularly good way to produce potions is using Windstad Manor as both Histcarp and Salmon can be grown in the fish hatchery (using Unrelenting Force to obtain the roe) and Regenerate Magicka ingredients such as Jazbay Grapes can be grown in the garden. All of these ingredients will respawn every three days, providing an easy means to level up Alchemy very rapidly.
- The Unofficial Hearthfire Patch, as well as all later patches, swap the duration values of Salmon Roe's Fortify Magicka and Waterbreathing effects, bringing the value of potions which make use of it back in line with similar potions which don't.
- With the Hearthfire add-on, an easy way to get an initial boost to your Alchemy skill at the start of the game is to catch 3-8 leaping salmon on your way to Whiterun, then buy some Garlic from Carlotta Valentia's stall and collect the Nordic Barnacles from the pond below the bridge into Dragonsreach.
- With the Dragonborn add-on, Boar Tusk (when used to create fortify health or stamina) is equal to Giant's Toe, but when used to fortify health and stamina is greater than Giant's Toe in value.
- Rather than worry about which ingredients to buy, it is probably best just to buy all the ingredients from any alchemist merchant except the most expensive (Daedra Heart, Frost Salts, and Void Salts) because the money made back from selling potions will allow you to empty the merchant of all the ingredients they have as well as all of their gold. Just work through the whole inventory making potions for maximum XP.
- With the Hearthfire add-on installed, farming becomes an option. Both the exterior garden and the greenhouse add-ons to the player-built homes allow for the growing of certain alchemy ingredients, and some of the most valuable two-ingredient potion effects can be made from those grown in the new planters.
- Fully clearing the dungeon during the Frostflow Abyss quest not only yields close to 100 Glowing Mushrooms but also over 400 Chaurus Eggs with the expensive Invisibility effect.
- Fast and easy method to train alchemy using all your ingredients:
- Identify as many effects of the ingredients you wish to use as possible (definitely necessary if you don't look them up).
- Find the highest value effect to brew from your available categories list. Select two ingredients, one of which should have another relatively expensive effect. Try to avoid rare ingredients or generally those that you will need later (like those with Fortify Enchanting/Smithing/Carry Weight effects).
- Go to the category of the other expensive effect, select a third ingredient and brew the potion. Repeat.
- If you want to train both through skill usage and via a trainer, you can brew your potions at Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun. Arcadia is an Expert Alchemy trainer, so you can pay her to train, which will increase the gold she has to buy absurdly expensive and useless potions. After joining the Dark Brotherhood, you can continue this process with Babette, who is the Master Alchemy trainer in the game.
While this method is unlikely to produce the best potion values possible, it requires no planning or selective ingredient gathering, potentially saving much time. Try to use more valuable ingredients, like Giants' Toes.
One achievement is related to Alchemy:
- Additional effects add to a potion's value regardless of whether the effect is negative or positive.
- Dwarven Oil and Taproot have exactly the same effects so you can make a high value potion with just these two items.
- Guards will talk about your Alchemy skill if it is level 30 or higher: "Fancy yourself an alchemist, hmm? Never could get the hang of that." and "Hey, you mix potions, right? Can you brew me an ale?"
- There are (according to preliminary calculations) 21974 distinct and efficient alchemy recipes possible in Skyrim only using the ingredients provided at the game's release on 11/11/11. "Distinct" means order of ingredient listing is ignored. "Efficient" means each ingredient contributes at least one effect the mixture would otherwise lack.
- Note that the Purity perk will reduce your ability to earn money via Alchemy, since potions or poisons that mix positive and negative effects gain their value from all of their effects, and Purity removes the conflicting ones without any compensation.
- Fortify Archery potions affect all types of weapons.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Fortify One-handed potions won't affect daggers.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Vampire players receive an additional 25% increase to the strength of any potion (when consumed) or enchantment (when equipped), if you have the Necromage perk. Therefore vampire characters with Necromage are able to reach higher potion strengths. (The added strength of the enchantment or potion will show up on your "Active Effects" list when used.)
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.3 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Hearthfire planters will not give double the ingredients with Green Thumb, despite the harvest notification indicating otherwise.
- Skyrim Alchemy Lab— online calculator including Dawnguard and Hearthfire ingredients, plus saveable recipe list
- AlcheMoney Skyrim Alchemy Calculator (open source)
- Darliandor's Alchemy Lab - Alchemy Laboratory Wizard - includes Dawnguard and Hearthfire ingredients
- Skyrim Online Alchemy Tool
- Skyrim Alchemist - app for iPhone or iPad
- Skyrim Herbarium - app for Windows Phone 7
- Skyrim Alchemy Free - app for Android