|Store||The Winking Skeever|
|Gold||100 (+1000 Master Trader)|
|Sells||See The Winking Skeever|
|Buys||Innkeeper (Food, Raw Food)|
|Primary Skills||One-handed, Pickpocket, Restoration, Speech|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionHaafingar; SolitudeWinkingSkeeverFaction; TownSolitudeFaction; Winking Skeever Inn|
Corpulus Vinius is an Imperial food vendor and the owner of The Winking Skeever in Solitude. He will rent out a room to you for 10 gold a night and offers merchant services. He is the father of Sorex Vinius and Minette Vinius, who both want to take over the inn when Corpulus retires. Until then, they help out with the daily maintenance. Corpulus also has a cousin in Dragon Bridge, the proprietor of the Four Shields Tavern, Faida. Should anything happen to Corpulus, Sorex will take over running the inn.
Corpulus can be found welcoming guests and offering his services in the taproom of the Winking Skeever 24 hours a day, without ever pausing to eat or sleep. He will only leave his spot behind the counter if you rent a room for the night, and politely show you to your room.
When you approach him he will welcome you to his establishment, and may hint that he might know about a job or two. He also assures his guests that troubles are left at the door. You can ask him about the inn's name. If you express surprise at such a peculiar choice of pet, Corpulus explains how he kept one. He will also tell you where you can learn more about magic and hint that the castle wizard is questionable at best.
- "Welcome to the Winking Skeever, friend."
- "If you need a good rumor or two, I think I can oblige..."
- "Traitors, civil wars, dragons. Bah. Those troubles don't cross my doorway. So sit, relax."
- "Welcome to the Winking Skeever. Take a load off and enjoy the atmosphere."
- Why is this place called the Winking Skeever?
- "Well, as it turns out, I had a pet skeever when I was a boy and he used to wink."
- You kept a skeever as a pet?
- "They were smaller back then."
- I guess that's as good a reason as any.
- "I thought so."
- Where can I learn more about magic?
- "Magic? You're on the wrong side of Skyrim. You want Winterhold... that College there. They teach it.
Otherwise you can try the Jarl's wizard. I wouldn't, though."
When asked about rumors, he will point you towards a few local quests, starting with Lights Out!:
- "I've heard Jaree-Ra is hanging around the Wells District, looking for new blood to hire."
Next, he will point you towards the Bards College:
- "I think the Bards College might be looking for recruits. You should speak to the head of the college, Viarmo, if you're interested."
He also mentions a traveler from Dragon Bridge:
- "Varnius Junius stopped by here on his way to court. He was worried about something. I'm sure Falk Firebeard could tell you what."
- "People say there's a man wandering the streets near the Blue Palace. He seems distressed but he's not making any sense."
When you exit conversation he will say one of the following:
- "Remember the Winking Skeever next time you're footsore."
- "Need anything, you just say the word."
While the family business runs smoothly on the surface, there are times when Sorex Vinius seems too keen on running the tavern, although he will not talk about it when his father is listening. This becomes even more evident if you witness another random conversation between Corpulus and Sorex, where little Minette also shows interest in running the inn, at times causing Corpulus to raise his voice:
- Corpulus Vinius: "It's been a good week, my boy! Loud customers mean good cheer, and good cheer means a full till! You know, I ought to retire and leave you to run the Skeever, son!"
- Sorex Vinius: "I don't know, father... There's a whole world out there I want to see." / "You'd just spend your time here, bossing me around and yelling for more drinks. You're practically retired already..."
- Minette Vinius: "I could run the Skeever! You even said I'm almost as smart as you!" / "Why not let me run the Skeever? I already know lots about it!"
- Corpulus Vinius: "Don't be a silly girl! Running a bar's no job for a young lady." / "Hah! A girl running a bar? Don't be ridiculous, Minette!"
- Minette Vinius: "What about 'Auntie Faida' in Dragon Bridge? She runs a bar, and you said she's one of your favorite girls!" / "But you always say you want more girls in the bar to begin with!"
- Sorex Vinius: "Oh, brother..." / "Hah!"
- Corpulus Vinius: "That's it! I'm not retiring, ever! End of discussion!" / "Well, you see, that's a little complicated, and... you know what? Never mind. Guess I'm not retiring anytime soon."
The following conversation can only happen between 5pm and 9pm:
- Corpulus Vinius "Bring up some more mead, my boy. This cask's nearly tapped!"
- Sorex Vinius "Yes, father. Which cask should we open?"
- Corpulus Vinius: "Just bring any of them, lad! Can't risk thirsty customers without mead to drink, even for a second!" / "Any of them! Just hurry up! No time for a debate when customers are thirsty!"
- Minette Vinius: "Bring the Blackbriar 195 Berry-Blend. It should be at its peak right now, and if it doesn't get served soon, it'll only go bad." / "We just got a cask of Old Gold 200 that has a crack in it. Better serve it now before it goes bad." / "Fat Toad 190 is always a crowd-pleaser. Father could probably charge extra."
- Sorex Vinius: "Good idea, sis. Maybe you ought to be in charge!"
- Corpulus Vinius: "Yes, yes, fine. Just hurry! Mustn't keep the customers thirsty!"
- Although he has rumors during early contact, he continues proclaiming to you that he is the one to come for rumors in Solitude even after his rumor topics have been exhausted. Also, many of the other NPCs have "rumor" conversation options where they direct you to speak to Corpulus.