Shivering talk:The Antipodean Hammer
- "Antipodean" is a term used in geography to describe two places on the earth that are positioned diametrically opposite each other, and is more likely a reference to the opposite natures of Mania (which provides Madness Ore) and Dementia (which provides Amber). --GuildKnight (Talk) contribs 23:02, 7 May 2007 (EDT)
- You've got that backwards. Amber is found in Mania, Madness or is found in Dementia. Adam80027 23:30, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- 1 Madness Amber and Ghosts
- 2 Dumag bug
- 3 Finding amber matricies
- 4 Quest completion?
- 5 Level 8
- 6 Amber Matrices and finding them!!
- 7 "Antipodean Hammer" quest --- where's the AH matrix?
- 8 Is it safe to use Completequest?
- 9 Can you use a matrix multiple times?
- 10 Amber / Madness Weapon Lists
- 11 Samples in Passwall
- 12 Can you complete The Antipodean Hammer quest on Xbox 360?
- 13 The Antipodean Hammer one of many victims of the Cure Vampirism glitch
Madness Amber and Ghosts
In the tips on the loading screens it says that ghosts are only affected by Silver, Daedric or enchanted weapons. As this tip is pre-SI I would like to know do Amber/Madness Weapons affect ghosts? --Lavadragon 10:17, 29 August 2007 (EDT)
- One quick check later, No - they don't. Obviously the magical versions you get from the matrices do, though. --RpehTalk 10:31, 29 August 2007 (EDT)
- kk ty for the help =) --Lavadragon 16:37, 29 August 2007 (EDT)
There is a bug with this quest that is discussed on other sites but not here. Things were going fine with having Dumag make amber weapons, but after I got a matrix, I went back and tried to have him make a magic item and now he will only response "Now is not the time for business."
It does not matter what time I enter his shop (I've tried every hour on the hour for two days) and there appears to be no way to resolve this. I may have to restart my game to get any magic amber items.
- To me, that sounds like the Reference Bug. Or at least, problems with merchants saying "Now is not the time for business" was one of the first reported symptoms of the reference bug. If there's any chance that you're suffering from the reference bug (i.e., if you have not installed the latest patch) then you have far more serious problems lurking in your future than just not being able to get amber weapons. --NepheleTalk 17:03, 9 December 2007 (EST)
- (Another question moved here from main article)
- Question?? Im haveing a glitch with getting amber armour Dumag only says "Now is not the time for buisness." Note: i can trade with cutter for madness armour and i have completed the main shivering isle quest line i dont know what the problem is? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 21 May 2009
I have a similar problem- Having the matrices in my inventory and enough ore, the Magic weapon/armor topic never updates while in conversation. So both Cutter and Dumag will tell again and again the story of the old master, and explain that they can forge items out of these matrices. The game never recognizes the matrices in my inventory. There is no problem in obtaining the normal madness and amber weapons, though. Is this also a symptom of the Reference Bug or something else? I have all patches up to date... --Candex 11:45, 7 October 2010 (UTC)
Finding amber matricies
OK so i know the page says the matricies appear at random, but I have found like 10 madness ones and only and ONLY 1 amber one. Is there somewhere where I am more likely to find them, or is it purely luck of the draw. I did note Grummites carry madness ore and matricies, but the Gnarl only carry amber, not the matricies. I am looking for something like that. Please help. ---WishIknewAmber
I'm having the exact same problem. I've found something like 14 Madness matrices and a grand total of zero amber matrices. I'd really like to get a magic amber sword and bow. I'm sure we'd both appreciate some help here. --Mole126 02:13, 14 February (EST)
- Your abundance of Madness Matrices may have to do with the fact you have been fighting alot of Grummites, who have a chance of carrying such matrices. There are no creatures, however, who carry Amber Matrices. Your best chances of finding them are Root Tunnels (in Hollowed Stumps), or the "Boss" chests of Heretic dungeons. --Timenn < talk > 10:21, 14 February 2008 (EST)
i once tried to scroll dupe a madness cuirass matrix with no success and i wonder the extent of this "problem" (ps3 goty)Varka 00:44, 16 May 2008 (EDT)
Same experience as above. It's taking a long, long time to find Amber matrices. At this point, I've found close to two complete sets of Madness matrices, but haven't yet found a complete set of Amber matrices. I think Timenn is right that Madness matrices are more plentiful perhaps because Gummites carry them, but no creatures carry Amber matrices. BTW, I've duplicated Madness matrices using the Skull of Corruption, but it seems Cutter doesn't accept such duplicates for creating enchanted Madness armor and weapons. The duplicates make awesome house decorations, though. They remind me of 1970s-era lighted speaker cabinets. Oblivoid 01:07, 8 August 2009 (UTC)
Think I might have accidentally triggered a bug here.
For some reason this quest has shown up in my completed quests dialogue, meaning I now cannot make enchanted weapons from the madness/amber matrices. The last entry in the journal is stage 30. Is there any way to 'uncomplete' a quest?
18.104.22.168 22:39, 13 April 2008 (EDT)
What's this in the Wiki about not being experienced enough for them to make Amber stuff until you get to level 8? I've got a level 1 suit right now... — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) on 10 September 2008
- Those are the journal entries taken directly from the game files. You're right though - there's no way ever to get those updates. I just checked the scripts and nothing updates quest SE30 to stage 26 or 126. I'll add a note. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 12:07, 10 September 2008 (EDT)
Amber Matrices and finding them!!
I would just like to recommend a few things that I hadn't seen posted for those having troubles finding them as I did and am...Here's what I have come to find in my travels...If you start at the Fringe and work yourself around the main walls exterior you will find numerous chests on rocks and by the shore and also killing grummites will help with the madness matrices here as well...I found a good bit of amber matrices just walking the total exterior of New Sheoth..As I said I started at the Fringe and worked myself around the exterior, then I walked North on the Mania side up the shore line weaving in and out looking for areas that were unusual...you may find chests under BIG trees in the water so use a spell for under water breathing...or a charm..I carry a necklace with me..look for ruins not on your map they often have amber matrice chests as well..Follow the shore line all the way around and back to the fringe again...There are so many hidden chests its unreal...make sure to save often, I have found that stormy rainy weather causes my PS3 80 G to freeze up...
- Walk shore line starting at the fringe exterior walls and then go North up Mania then come down through Dementia ending up at the fringe again!!
- check all the islands some arent on the map!!
- look for ruins that arent on the map via shoreline route!!
- look underwater under all huge trees succombed in the water!!
- look on top of rocks within jumping distance!!
- Waterfalls that have rocks in a square at the bottom have chests underwater!!
- Ruins and a campsite where I found Amber Matrices!!
Knotbone Chamber Fain Embrocca Breakneck Milcher Xavara
I can't pinpoint each individual spot where those chests are, there are just too many!! And besides it's better finding them and searching. I hope this helps a few people!!
PS: Scroll duplicating will not work unless you sell and buy back that item that is magickal, and for some it will not work at all, make sure to save your game first !!
- Information on Crystal Chests is already on the site and you can see all the locations on the map. There's a current task to create a new page detailing all possible locations of matrices but in the meantime I recommend this page. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 10:25, 17 September 2008 (EDT)
- Thats cool I am not much interested in the crystal ones all they have are minor things with no amber matrices that I have found! I was just listing places I found amber matrices for those having issues like I was!!
- Thanks though...good looking out on the crystal chests and this is a wonderful site!!
- Oh Bruther starting page where it lists all the matrice chests!! Shakes head thinking, this could take days!!! Sounds like a plan...Maybe I will start documenting where I find random chests along my travels that ARE NOT listed on the map, will that help??
- Get back to me!!
- It's okay - the dungeon pages will eventually list all the chests out in the world as well as the ones in dungeons. If you want to post a list of any you find on my talk page, that would be fine. We get lists of chests (and NPCs, creatures and so on) direct from the game file so it's actually not (much of) a big deal to get all the information. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 12:11, 17 September 2008 (EDT)
LOL well Horton, don't be a Hortin' it all...send some of that knowledge to me!! HA!! It would make my life sooooo much easier!!
Jenn!! aka Pinkee 12:47, 17 September 2008 (EDT)
Well... I followed the shoreline and the only amber matrix I could find was in this little abandoned shrine place with a chest, an hollowed stump thing, and one of them big pot things. The matrix was in the chest. I don't know if it was a "boss" chest or whatnot, but if you stick to the shoreline you'll find it. I started on the mania side, and I believe the shrine was in the mid-western portion. Aside from that, looking under every single sunken tree was useless... all I found was one crystal chest south of Vitharn, on the little island on the right. There's a big sunken tree and under it is a crystal chest that game me very crappy items. So I'm at one amber matrix so far... - Some Guy
I am so sorry to hear I know how frustrating it is...I was just thinking maybe...they go bye levels..See when I started the Shivering Isles it wasn't until after I had completely done Oblivion and the Knights of the Nine..I believe I was leveled at 50+ at that time, and was also a vampire...since then I have completely started over (I don't want to be a vampire this time around)...keeping myself at level 2 and eating Mugwort Seeds for health and Steel-Blue Entoloma Caps for magicka (I found at lower levels you cant consume but 3 potions at a time and that can be frustrating when you are working on your skills)...I am 100 at most of my skills and working on 75 at the leftovers...I randomly do Quests that do not involve leveld items..saving those for when I sleep and level up entirely..I still haven't gotten the leveling out thingy completely right yet, so I am just going with the flo. Back to the amber matrices I betcha it depends on the level you are when you start Shivering Isles, like I said I was 50+ and they were all Boss chests, the big golden chests and the tree stump ones are what I was finding them in...and there are Only a couple trees completely in the water that have these chests under them....did you look under the described waterfalls as well?? I found many there, and there was a Boss Campsite called Breakneck...when you kill the top dog there he has a Boss chest as well that has amber matrices in it and it re-spawns like way after 4 days game time for me anyhow...between 4-5 in game play days. Not always will it re-spawn amber matrices but worth checking on from time to time... Hopefully they will have the page up soon that will list all the locations of the random chests!!!
Jenn Pinkee 22:30, 28 September 2008 (EDT)
Say, Some Guy...I was just thinking...When you come through the door from where the Gatekeeper was/is and you end up on whichever side you prefer, did you immediately after exiting the door jump over the rocks and canvas down and around the side of that Castle or whatever it is (the place you walked out of) Completley walk all the way around that Castle building and you will find ummm...3-4 tree stump boss chests...2-3 umm big drum looking boss chests and 3-4 of the long golden boss chests as well as 8-10 grummites and a few other creatures...THAT is where I found MOST of my amber matrices...the others and I am 2 shy of a full set I found randomly in those other areas I described... one of the drum looking chests is on the water line between rocks the other is bye the grummites in the water....the golden ones, one is on top of some rocks you jump down on the other is on the water line near the drum chest, I believe there is also one in the water bye some more grummites as well...and the tree stump ones, one is in a tree you have to jump to get to some what near the hill part....one is below the hillpart and the other is off to the side...opposite side of mania ( you can hear them hissing)...after you pass through the water to get to some land after coming down the hill and killing the grummites...I always start on the mania side and walk around...there is also out in the water a half broken building down from the hill where there is a golden chest and a drum chest as well...hope this helps you!!
Jenn!! aka Pinkee 22:51, 28 September 2008 (EDT)
"Antipodean Hammer" quest --- where's the AH matrix?
Since this is a quest that cumulates into finding the mentioned hammer, why isn't the so-called "walkthru" giving detailed info on where to find the madness/amber matrices? Urgently update requested! — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) on 9 March 2009
- First, there's no need to be insulting. Second, the quest doesn't culminate in anything - it keeps going. Third, try following some of the links, specifically this, which will help with Amber. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 05:40, 9 March 2009 (EDT)
Is it safe to use Completequest?
Can I still make new armor and weapons if I use the console command Completequest to end this quest? --Neekerisanni123 10:56, 19 April 2009 (EDT)
- Sure. The NPCs involved don't care that the quest is closed, only that you have enough amber / madness ore. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 07:20, 20 April 2009 (EDT)
Good,as I used the console command already.Thanks! --Neekerisanni123 08:03, 20 April 2009 (EDT)
Can you use a matrix multiple times?
I am just about to use my amber matrix but I am not sure if I should since these things are so hard to come by and I might safe it up for future use, it is not stated any were that you can use them multiple but it is not stated that you can only use them once either. So, can or can you not use a matrix multiple times?— Unsigned comment by Drane (talk • contribs) on 26 May 2009
- You can only use then ONCE. Volthawk 12:03, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
Amber / Madness Weapon Lists
Will I ever be able to get them out of my inventory? They might not weigh anything, but they're an extra nuisance to have to scroll over. As if it wasn't bad enough that I've got the Mania and Dementia keys trapped in there too. I'm playing the XBox 360 version, by the way, so no console commands. ~ SotiCoto 15:58, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
Samples in Passwall
Aren't there also three samples of Amber and two of Madness Ore in Jayred Ice-Veins' house? I think that should be added, since these items are time-consuming to find. Adam80027 23:28, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- The quest page will soon receive a total revamp; until then, clicking the links for Amber or Madness Ore should be sufficient. --Krusty 07:49, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
Can you complete The Antipodean Hammer quest on Xbox 360?
I am playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on the XBox 360. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.
I am getting annoyed by the quest Antipodean Hammer being in my Quest log. I have searched many sites and tunneled through so much information only to find disappointment. Not finding anything on this I decided to ask who might know best. So again, is there an end to The Antipodean Hammer?
Big Mak The Klown 00:33, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
- From the quest's notes:
- "There is no way to end this quest as you can continually use the services of Dumag or Cutter."
- --NepheleTalk 00:35, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
The Antipodean Hammer one of many victims of the Cure Vampirism glitch
I started the Cure Vampirism quest after already starting Shivering Isles and lost all progress made in SI upon using the "switch to German language" work around when the Bloodgrass problem presented itself in my attempt at finishing the Cure Vampirism quest. The SI progress lost included The Antipodean Hammer quest, which I had already started before starting Cure Vampirism. Upon re-visiting SI I found a Madness weapon matrix and the quest re-appeared in my journal to talk to someone about it, but I have been unable to progress any further beyond that. Neither Cutter nor Dumag will discuss the ores or matrices with my character, so it appears that the quest (along with my ability to have Amber or Madness armour or weapons crafted) has come to a stand still. I have since accumulated a large number of matrices for both amber and madness weapons and armour as well as large amounts of both madness ore and amber. This is one of many SI quests which have been affected including the main quest line, halted at A Better Mousetrap, the quests Ghosts Of Vitharn, The Museum Of Oddities and others. So my advice to anyone just starting Oblivion is to completely stay away from Shivering Isles until you've completed the Cure Vampirism quest - or if you have already started Shivering Isles, do NOT start the Cure Vampirism quest. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 19:16 on 30 January 2017