Transmute Stations are a type of crafting station that was introduced in Update 16 as part of the Clockwork City DLC. This crafting station has the ability to change an item's trait, for a cost of fifty Transmute Crystals.
Only one Transmute Station can be found in the world, at the Hall of Refined Techniques in the Clockwork City's Brass Fortress. However, stations can also be purchased as furnishing items from the Master Writ merchant for 1,250 or from the Crown Store for 4,500 and placed in player houses. As such, players without access to the Clockwork City DLC can still change traits via player housing.
- In order to craft with a trait, or transform an item to a new trait, the resulting trait must be researched in the appropriate skill line.
- Crafting requires Transmute Crystals, which can be acquired from Veteran Trials or dungeons.
- The cost of creating a set item is based on the number of items of that set known. It is 25 crystals if all items in the set are known, 75 if only one item is known (unless it's a 1 item set), or 75 - 50 / (total items in the set - 1) x (items known - 1 ), rounded down to the nearest whole number.
- Transmuted items are bound, and cannot be sold or traded to other players. They also cannot be researched by other characters on your account.
- Deconstructing a transmuted item has a chance of returning crafting ingredients to you, including trait stones, just as if the item were originally created with that trait. This allows you to transmute common dropped and crafted gear to Nirnhoned, and subsequently deconstruct them for a chance to obtain Nirncrux, making this an alternative (albeit expensive) method for collecting this rare trait stone.